Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo are up and about being 3-0 but they have beaten 3 ordinary teams that are 0-3, they aren't travelling as well as they think they are.

I think they will be found out when they play a good team, they didn't play that well tonight but the Crows played even worse than they did.

Freo are up and about being 3-0 but they have beaten 3 ordinary teams that are 0-3, they aren't travelling as well as they think they are.

I think they will be found out when they play a good team, they didn't play that well tonight but the Crows played even worse than they did.
It's really early days but I haven't seen any team that I've thought is significantly better than us so far.

TL,DR

We're winning the ******* flag!

Probably prickish, but seeing it more as a FAFO situation.

Gilbo legitimately could feel sorry for, basically got catfished and she sought to ruin him and by proxy us, these Brissie players, I'm not sure if you want to hug them or kick them in the balls at present because it screams they FA and their partners FO.

Since I have been very young and around footy clubs when they are celebratory, what I've seen in my life at what age, if that happened in todays social, would probably be deemed illegal. They get wild. Suffice to say, I am inclined to believe the rumours about what they did in Vegas as it's not far removed from those days in my memory.
Oh absolutely, I just mean in terms of that awkwardness of your carelessness stuffing up your teammates' lives.

Horrible game, the Crows have gone backwards after re-signing Nicks and Longmuir looks like he has borrowed RTB's game plan from 2007.
69 to 34 is a horrible final scoreline.

That damn Ross Lyon, he is killing football and the other clubs are powerless to stop him.

69 to 34 is a horrible final scoreline.

That damn Ross Lyon, he is killing football and the other clubs are powerless to stop him.

We should be glad that Freo were silly enough to sack him and got the old Kmart version of him while we got the new and improved version.

If it was Formula 1... King's would have been a racing incident (No Penalty) & Pendlebury's deliberately causing an accident (Suspension or Grid Penalty).

At the very least it is conduct unbecoming & bringing the game into disrepute, It's an absolute disgrace that he got away with a fine & not a suspension.
those things don't exist any more, just like Frampton's "charge" last week on Higgo didn't happen.

deliberate hit ( open or closed hand ) is let off easier than a 6"7" bloke grazing someones head. attempted strike doesn't exist anymore ( see Hind or Heeny last week. Ess v Sydney)

crazy world

Last edited:
Brisbane Lions players have split from their partners and the club has held a crisis meeting over an end of season trip to Vegas.
The winless Lions called the meeting of their leaders late on Good Friday to discuss revelations that rifts occurred on that holiday to the United States.

The Herald Sun understands that one of the members of the travelling party accidentally uploaded a WhatsApp group chat to iCloud on his Apple Phone.

That person’s partner accessed the group chat back home in Australia and read messages that detailed what was happening in the US.

The Lions drama unfolded in Las Vegas.
Those messages were then shared with other partners, who were furious at some of the wild antics being discussed in the group chat.

The travelling party of about 10 was mostly players and their US trip finished in Vegas.

Lions chief executive Greg Swann said he did not know if the WhatsApp group chat used in the US had been accidentally uploaded to iCloud and accessed back home.

But Swann emphatically shot down suggestions that the November trip was hampering the club on the field.

“If the question is, ‘Is there a split in a group?’ Well, no there isn’t,” Swann told the Herald Sun.

“It’s just bulls***. There’s no split in the group. This was in November, by the way. It’s not the reason we’re going no good.

“We’re not horrible, by the way. It’s just that a few of our good blokes are out of form.

“We asked all the leaders again today and they said, ‘No, there’s nothing in it at all’ in terms of a split in the group.”

Chris Fagan’s Lions have had a winless start to the season after making the Grand Final. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Chris Fagan’s Lions have had a winless start to the season after making the Grand Final. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
The Lions are co-captained by Lachie Neale and Harris Andrews. A further seven players are in the club’s leadership group.

Senior officials at the Lions started fielding calls about the US trip during last week’s bye.

More Coverage​

Anxious Lions’ biggest strength turned weakness a head scratcher
Pies find hangover cure – but it was far from a ‘statement’
The Lions were premiership favourites on the eve of the season.

They were undefeated at the Gabba in 2023, but have been knocked off at home by Carlton and Collingwood this year.

The Lions gave up leads of 46 points (Carlton) and 25 points (Fremantle) in their first two losses this year.

manatee, those things don't exist any more, just like Frampton's "charge" last week on High didn't happen.

deliberate hit ( open or closed hand ) is let off easier than a 6"7" bloke grazing someones head. attempted strike doesn't exist anymore ( see Hind or Heeny last week. Ess v Sydney)

crazy world
I'm half watching the the Freo Crows game tonight a play Freo player gives a Crows guy a fend off (don't argue) & accidently hits him in the face with his elbow.. he gets a blood nose & has to go off & have it attended to... no real harm done... (a racing incident) but far more inconvenient, to the player & the team, than what King did... what's the go MRO... are we protecting the head or are we just selecting the the hip & shoulder bumps only... It's really a farce. Webster's was awful & he got what he deserved. King's was a nothing & I have to say I think Peter Wright was harshly dealt with too.

Brisbane Lions players have split from their partners and the club has held a crisis meeting over an end of season trip to Vegas.
The winless Lions called the meeting of their leaders late on Good Friday to discuss revelations that rifts occurred on that holiday to the United States.

The Herald Sun understands that one of the members of the travelling party accidentally uploaded a WhatsApp group chat to iCloud on his Apple Phone.

That person’s partner accessed the group chat back home in Australia and read messages that detailed what was happening in the US.

The Lions drama unfolded in Las Vegas.
Those messages were then shared with other partners, who were furious at some of the wild antics being discussed in the group chat.

The travelling party of about 10 was mostly players and their US trip finished in Vegas.

Lions chief executive Greg Swann said he did not know if the WhatsApp group chat used in the US had been accidentally uploaded to iCloud and accessed back home.

But Swann emphatically shot down suggestions that the November trip was hampering the club on the field.

“If the question is, ‘Is there a split in a group?’ Well, no there isn’t,” Swann told the Herald Sun.

“It’s just bulls***. There’s no split in the group. This was in November, by the way. It’s not the reason we’re going no good.

“We’re not horrible, by the way. It’s just that a few of our good blokes are out of form.

“We asked all the leaders again today and they said, ‘No, there’s nothing in it at all’ in terms of a split in the group.”

The Lions are co-captained by Lachie Neale and Harris Andrews. A further seven players are in the club’s leadership group.

Senior officials at the Lions started fielding calls about the US trip during last week’s bye.

More Coverage​

Anxious Lions’ biggest strength turned weakness a head scratcher
Pies find hangover cure – but it was far from a ‘statement’
The Lions were premiership favourites on the eve of the season.

They were undefeated at the Gabba in 2023, but have been knocked off at home by Carlton and Collingwood this year.

The Lions gave up leads of 46 points (Carlton) and 25 points (Fremantle) in their first two losses this year.
We've called a crisis meeting on a public holiday weekend but everything's cool... move along nothing to see here... lol

I'm half watching the the Freo Crows game tonight a play Freo player gives a Crows guy a fend off (don't argue) & accidently hits him in the face with his elbow.. he gets a blood nose & has to go off & have it attended to... no real harm done... (a racing incident) but far more inconvenient, to the player & the team, than what King did... what's the go MRO... are we protecting the head or are we just selecting the the hip & shoulder bumps only... It's really a farce. Webster's was awful & he got what he deserved. King's was a nothing & I have to say I think Peter Wright was harshly dealt with too.

They may as well just ban the bump, Ross Lyon said it himself "don't bump boys", it's not worth the risk of getting a suspension.

Webster deserved a lengthy suspension even it was over the top and King probably deserved a week too, neither of them needed to do it.

You can still play tough without bumping, look at guys like Windhager, Owens and Stocker, they play tough but they tackle rather than bump.

Bumping or shoulder charging is banned in rugby union and rugby league, if you do that you will get penalised or given a yellow or red card.

They may as well just ban the bump, Ross Lyon said it himself "don't bump boys", it's not worth the risk of getting a suspension.

Webster deserved a lengthy suspension even it was over the top and King probably deserved a week too, neither of them needed to do it.

You can still play tough without bumping, look at guys like Windhager, Owens and Stocker, they play tough but they tackle rather than bump.

Bumping or shoulder charging is banned in rugby union and rugby league, if you do that you will get penalised or given a yellow or red card.
its not the bump, and not defending Max, its the complete disregard for the international punch, see Pendlebury and many others who intentionally punch off the ball somehow receives less than say max's bump.

now is an intentional strike worse than a clumsy bump, that's where the irritation lies.
in no way is an open palm less damaging than a closed fist, yet somehow in AFL land it does

as for say Frampton, forceful front on contact is precisely what I would have called it, which exists in the AFL's MRO classifiable offences and Frampton isn't cited yet they go Max. watch the two, and I'm pretty sure Max's is the lesser offense and just happens to be the AFL's rule of the month

Max was deemed careless, medium and High yet under the AFL's own guide.
Low – Minimal or no impact on the game, and Player continues to play unabated or was able to play, and No
ongoing issues.
Medium – Clearly some impact on the Player, and / or the Player left the field for a lengthy period of time, and / or some possible lower level ongoing treatments.

Macrea took the free and didn't leave the ground, so how's it judged medium?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor Charlie, what an awful situation to put yourself in. Sam Gilbert vibes
A mate of was holidaying on one of the islands off the coast of Queensland a few years ago and met about 8 or so Brissy players who where there one an end of season trip, He spent a couple of nights partying with them. He said they were all loose as fu*k, CC was there with them. My mate suggested that he was his least favourite of them all to hang out with, he said EH was the loosest of the 8.

its not the bump, and not defending Max, its the complete disregard for the international punch, see Pendlebury and many others who intentionally punch off the ball somehow receives less than say max's bump.

now is an intentional strike worse than a clumsy bump, that's where the irritation lies.
in no way is an open palm less damaging than a closed fist, yet somehow in AFL land it does

as for say Frampton, forceful front on contact is precisely what I would have called it, which exists in the AFL's MRO classifiable offences and Frampton isn't cited yet they go Max. watch the two, and I'm pretty sure Max's is the lesser offense.

The MRO and the tribunal is chook lotto, there are so many inconsistencies in their rulings it's not funny.

I still can't understand how Maynard got off scot free for a flying shoulder charge on Brayshaw disguised as a smother.

It was no surprise that another star Collingwood player in Pendlebury got off with a fine rather than a suspension.

I think we all know the reason.

Michael-2_jqiskt.jpg

The sooner they get rid of that biased Collingwood clown Michael Christian the better.

We need to get a biased St Kilda clown to do the job instead.

MceWIHgn.jpg

Something like Max's was straight bullshit, it irritates me to no end that you have a situation where you are literally contesting be it a shepherd, tackle or a "pressure act" and in a fraction of a second the ball gets cleared. In this sort of situation the AFL's response is always "well you could always just fly to the moon and not exist in this space" as if it was possible in any reality, and most times the tribunal sits it gets accepted as fact.

That was Ming in that situation, he was coming from behind, Hill was in front on a smother attempt, as Macrae cleared via handball he collected Hill who couldn't get out of the way in time so "Ima drag you down with me" was the call. Meanwhile... Ming is like 2 steps away, sees that clearing handball and by his own admission is "I guess I give up" so he slows his run, makes himself small, tries to avoid the path he's on since an interception is no longer possible. And we punish him for it?

Why would you mitigate? What's the point? F em, one less player on the field, balls in 5m, rules say you can bump if you can't abort in time, so F em, you're going to get a week at least any way, might as well not give a s**t.

That's the problem with expecting inhuman acts as normal, that's the AFLs problem and why it's a joke, as Ming did everything he humanly could and just because Hill and Macrae fell into his path whilst he was trying to turn away and there was a brush, a literal you hit me as both things were moving and only one thing was moving away, he gets penalised for it.

Meanwhile... "professional frees" exist ala Frampton, Danger, those "I'm going to run 40 and cannon into the player with the ball" types. If we give any shits about potential for damage, any singular braincell towards such a thing;

Ming actively was disengaging and expected contact to mitigate.
Frampton actively engaged to cause contact.

You're then banning Frampton 100% as the instigator of an act he knew would potentially cause a rough conduct if he struck the head plush.

Instead, in this bullshit that is the AFL system, Ming gets to sit out and Frampton got to play. It's backwards, and it's s**t like this as to why I prefer cricket, because frankly they don't screw with the game that much and ever since bodyline was a thing they gave a damn about balls to the face to try and mitigate damage. That and the umpires know the law, you can also trust the score, it gets reviewed quite often, the AFL is bush league half arsing it by comparison, their documents are a joke. As I've indicated elsewhere, the only real one with any context is the CBA and thats literally just because if it isn't, players don't play the game and the AFL crashes. So it needs to be concise, to the point and contain factual information with no room for interpretation. Everything else, screw that aspect, interpretate away...

as for say Frampton, forceful front on contact is precisely what I would have called it, which exists in the AFL's MRO classifiable offences and Frampton isn't cited yet they go Max. watch the two, and I'm pretty sure Max's is the lesser offense and just happens to be the AFL's rule of the month

Max was deemed careless, medium and High yet under the AFL's own guide.
Low – Minimal or no impact on the game, and Player continues to play unabated or was able to play, and No
ongoing issues.
Medium – Clearly some impact on the Player, and / or the Player left the field for a lengthy period of time, and / or some possible lower level ongoing treatments.

Macrea took the free and didn't leave the ground, so how's it judged medium?
I cool with them banning the hip & shoulder bump... what bothers me is someone that intentionally goes to cause harm to another player & gets a slap on the wrist. The replay of Pendlebury striking Neal clearly shows significant force, regardless of it being an open hand or not. It left Neal unable to continue playing for half a minute & in quite a deal of discomfort. After the game they joked & shook hands.

Last season Caminitti retaliated & punched Murphy in the guts & floored him for half a minute... a similar amount of force was applied & an equal amount of discomfort to the player & the team. Caminiti got 3 weeks... what's the difference? Well, Murphy just hit Caminiti & as far as I could see Neal did nothing to Pendlebury... he may have said something (ya ma's a smelly slag). The difference is that Caniniti is a no-name first year player & Pendlebury is a Veteran Collingwood ex captain... THAT"S THE DIFFERENCE.

It's crap & unfair.

If even half of the latter names can become regular players, we will be in a great position since those first 4 are as good as any 1-3 year players in the comp. Particularly with Tassie on the horizon - we are investing now so once the compromised drafts occur, the core of our list is hitting their prime.

It will be interesting to compare the lists in a couple of years. I like what North have put together. McKercher, Sheezel, LDU, Wardlkaw and Duursma all look absolute cream. They still have guys like Powell and Lazzaro who are highly rated and have a few young talls in development.

Our youth look like the best we've had in 20 years but if they don't take that step up to absolute stars we probably have a ceiling. Nas is elite, King is heading to elite and then we have a group that are high potential that we really need to get to Bont level rather than Steele level.

North had passages of play yesterday that showed their future and I'd be pretty encouraged if I was them.

It will be interesting to compare the lists in a couple of years. I like what North have put together. McKercher, Sheezel, LDU, Wardlkaw and Duursma all look absolute cream. They still have guys like Powell and Lazzaro who are highly rated and have a few young talls in development.

Our youth look like the best we've had in 20 years but if they don't take that step up to absolute stars we probably have a ceiling. Nas is elite, King is heading to elite and then we have a group that are high potential that we really need to get to Bont level rather than Steele level.

North had passages of play yesterday that showed their future and I'd be pretty encouraged if I was them.
Stack a team with enough top 5 picks, priority picks etc in a short period of time and they’ll have some flashy plays eventually.

For north, it’s all about culture and coaching capability imo, that’s what will seperate them from being the difference between GC and GWS, if that makes sense.

Very few players I actually rate on the north side, Larkey, Sheezel, LDU go alright.

Rate our youth very highly GIVEN the context of the resources we had to draft and bring them in the last 5 years comparative to a team such as North.

Nasiah, Owens, Windhager, Philipou and Wilson are a great, highly promising, young quintet who are locked into the 22.

Byrnes, Dow, King, Henry, Higgins, Clark, Stocker, Sharman, Battle round us out well as young players (under 25) who belong first 22.

Caminiti, Collard, Schoenmaker, Garcia, Hastie, Mcclennan, are promising youth there about selection, with lots of potential growth.

Van Es, Keeler and Heath are untried talls. Very high ceiling on Keeler should he be up to it, Van Es looks fantastic in size should he have the ability and iq to match, Heath is capable of kicking bags in the VFL but needs to show more IMO. He’ll develop slowly as a ruck no doubt.

O’Connell - unknown quantity to me, but had big wraps in Ireland.

Hotton - unknown quantity to me, big wraps when we drafted him but has been injured, and average thus far.

Allison - shows glimpses but far from enough. Would make an excellent winger if he had the football nous. Most likely a delist.

So the first 14 players I mentioned are all best 22 calibre, all young ranging from 18 to 25 (Wilson the youngest to Battle the oldest). And after that we have plenty of promising youth who I’m excited to see develop and their ceiling is tangible, it’s great. It’s only really Allison and maybe Hotton and Heath I’m down about thus far. Seems a good innings to me, but much to play out.

Most importantly, compared to a club like North (“with 10 phillippous”) we have done very well to get to where we are today list wise, and hopefully will hit the draft successfully again.

I reckon if Tassie get up and going McKercher will be a prime target. Could see Webster finishing there as well.

If we get a group of kids to Bont level, we would be unstoppable. Bont is a top 3 player in the league.

Expectations may be a tough high there gringo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back