List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems we probably have adequate injury cover on our existing list and amongst our VFL players who have nominated for the mid season draft. We have some strong Academy and Father Son picks coming next year so we can't overstock.
We've got Lane Smith and Fort in Rucks.Ryan,Joyce, Lloyd ,Zakotelsky and Morris as KPP.Brain, Prior,Madden maybe Michael as other defenders. Robertson,Lyons,Tunstill,Sharp on midfield and flanks. Why are we so desperate to go looking for speculative picks in this MSD?
My preference would be to provide 6 month contracts to locals on our VFL list where possible or other Qld based players.. They get motivation and a financial reward for the next 6 months with the possible chance to prove themselves at AFL level and don't have to relocate while they do it. They might lose their list spot next year but they might just rise to the next level and demand retention.
Maybe we take the best KPD available if thought necessary.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It seems we probably have adequate injury cover on our existing list and amongst our VFL players who have nominated for the mid season draft. We have some strong Academy and Father Son picks coming next year so we can't overstock.
We've got Lane Smith and Fort in Rucks.Ryan,Joyce, Lloyd ,Zakotelsky and Morris as KPP.Brain, Prior,Madden maybe Michael as other defenders. Robertson,Lyons,Tunstill,Sharp on midfield and flanks. Why are we so desperate to go looking for speculative picks in this MSD?
My preference would be to provide 6 month contracts to locals on our VFL list where possible or other Qld based players.. They get motivation and a financial reward for the next 6 months with the possible chance to prove themselves at AFL level and don't have to relocate while they do it. They might lose their list spot next year but they might just rise to the next level and demand retention.
Maybe we take the best KPD available if thought necessary.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We'll have some list changes come end of year and our challenge is we can't get replacements via trade or draft due to our picks being locked away for bid match. Since we are expected to contend again next year we can't rely on 18 year olds to provide depth cover.

If we find even one MSD roughie in the "needs" space like small forward or rebounding pacy half back - then that's one less player we have to take at the bottom of 2024 draft In my view.

Linc, Gardiner, Doedee - possibly early to mid season return
Madden, Prior, Joyce, Lane - delist?
Lester - retire? May be one more year, similar to Zorko
Dev - may ask for trade if he stays at 2s while Ashcroft returns

It leaves us already at 32 available players out of 40.

Small forward depth - none. Lohmann has stepped up already
Small pacy rebounding half back depth - Brain possibly. He should be playing seniors right now in my view
Tall KPD depth - I think Luke Lloyd and ZZ are playing there now so we may have depth come next year
Ruck - Fort and Smith. If Smith stays in 2s then SA club like Port would be all over him for next year.
Midfield- Ashcrofts will be there along with Reece Torrent and Sam Marshall possibly as depth. Dev has one more year if we hold him to it.

Senior reserves need some restocking so MSD is a great free hit for us to maximise our chances.

Last edited:
We'll have some list changes come end of year and our challenge is we can't get replacements via trade or draft due to our picks being locked away for bid match. Since we are expected to contend again next year we can't rely on 18 year olds to provide depth cover.

If we find even one MSD roughie in the "needs" space like small forward or rebounding pacy half back - then that's one less player we have to take at the bottom of 2024 draft In my view.

Linc, Gardiner, Doedee - possibly early to mid season return
Madden, Prior, Joyce, Lane - delist?
Lester - retire? May be one more year, similar to Zorko
Dev - may ask for trade if he stays at 2s while Ashcroft returns

It leaves us already at 32 available players out of 40.

Small forward depth - none. Lohmann has stepped up already
Small pacy rebounding half back depth - Brain possibly. He should be playing seniors right now in my view
Tall KPD depth - I think Luke Lloyd and ZZ are playing there now so we may have depth come next year
Ruck - Fort and Smith. If Smith stays in 2s then SA club like Port would be all over him for next year.
Midfield- Ashcrofts will be there along with Reece Torrent and Sam Marshall possibly as depth. Dev has one more year if we hold him to it.

Senior reserves need some restocking so MSD is a great free hit for us to maximise our chances.
On the bolded. Not quite correct, as Lane, Lester and Joyce are rookie listed, and we have a list of 44 players.

We currently have 6 rookie listed players, so start with a senior list of 38 players.

I am all for 6 months for 2 or 3 players just so we have some options if more injuries happen.
The Club may have one player they are prepared to offer 18 months, but just one would be the limit i recon.

At the moment we are still in the frame for a top 8 position. No other option the rest of the year to find players.

I think we may appeal to the AFL to make Daniel LLoyd available with 2 VFL games instead of the required 3.

We will all find out in 4 days' time.

He’s probably worth bugger all on the trade market, but I’m at the stage where I’d be willing to listen to offers on Cam. He’s never going to be anymore than what he is with us, unfortunately.

Inclined to agree. Maybe a change of scenery might sharpen him up because he shouldn't be coming back out after half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The talk of picking up Lloyd was ridiculous.

Having a crack at a few 20-25 year holds might reap some reward for next year and beyond.

Recruiters complain about a lack of talent but it’s more the KP players. I still see a lot of players that could make a big diff to our depth and even surprise at AFL level.

For us now the priority has to be to get players in that are good pressure and tackle players. Attributes like speed, agility, power and work rate. We just have a few plodders that look like they’re running on the spot and are weak in a tackle.

Players like McReery, Daniels etc that work their backside off in attack and defence.

Lombard was okay. Clearly good at winning the ball but didn't seem to have good connection with his team mates from what I could see. Felt a bit like a guy trying to do everything instead of the team things.

Hope the Allies kick it to Gallop more. Seemed to want to play through the captain (forget his name) as opposed to the likes of McFadyen or Gallop and made it very predictable for SA.

The recruiters taking Ryan is again another howler by a supposed coveted recruiting team who in my view are bog average. Fancy giving Ryan three years, let alone wasting a list spot on him. Even Doedee off multiple ACLs reeked of hopium and that will unlikely bare any fruit even accounting for the fact he did another ACL. Didn’t we give up a second rounder for Ryan which is what a pick at about 25 or so given our position. What on earth were they thinking?

The recruiters taking Ryan is again another howler by a supposed coveted recruiting team who in my view are bog average. Fancy giving Ryan three years, let alone wasting a list spot on him. Even Doedee off multiple ACLs reeked of hopium and that will unlikely bare any fruit even accounting for the fact he did another ACL. Didn’t we give up a second rounder for Ryan which is what a pick at about 25 or so given our position. What on earth were they thinking?

Desperation for KPP coverage on short notice when Gunston demanded a trade with 3 business days left in the trade period.

The overpay (which I agree we did) was under the assumption we'd lose it as picks with Ashcroft coming in.

Back