List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

In news that should surprise absolutely no one, we have the worst delivery to our forwards in the league. Can't believe Smithers is our clubhouse leader. Finding better ball users needs to be a priority in the offseason. Dangle big $$$ to NWM please.

View attachment 1996744
Smith bombs it inside 50 to a 50/50 to either cause a stoppage or us regain possession surrounded by defenders.

Because their fringe players are best 15 for us.
And a hell of a lot of their top end players are Sydney Swans Academy products that no other AFL clubs were ever going to have draft access to, wherever they were going to be bid on they would be matched. i.e. Isaac Heeney, Nick Blakey, Errol Gulden, Callum Mills etc/ Decent leg up hey?

Mind you it says a lot about their Swans Academy development program.
Capture.PNG

IMHO … there are four positions I would be targeting with our recruitment
  • Small forward … think Stengel, Cameron, Papley. This style of player
  • Mid .. Draper with first pick, LDU? Someone to break free of the contest
  • Half back flank … ideally NWM, Issac Cumming. Need a distributor from defence
  • Ruck … Need to replace ROB
These should be the targets next two years

I like to look at it from a standpoint of who should be in our team in 2027 (assuming no one leaves, touch wood). Have stuck with guys who have proven to stand up well at AFL level so far (bar Curtin and Welsh, who I’d hope are safe bets to make it)

B: Michalanney, Murray, Worrell
HB: Hinge, Keane, Curtin
C: Nankervis, Dawson, ?
HF: ?, Fogarty, Rachele
F: Keays, Thilthorpe, Welsh
R: ?, Soligo, Rankine
I/C: Pedlar, ?, ?, ?
Sub: ?

What type of players do the ?’s need to be filled with?

• one HBF, preferably with a turn of speed and a good defensive mindset (Ryan?)
  • two wings, both skilled, at least one with speed (possibly Dowling/Edwards)
  • ruck that is capable of clunking marks and winning the tap effectively
  • one athletic medium forward who is good overhead (Hayward-like, although it sounds like he specifically is less likely now)
  • one speedy small half forward that is a good pressure player (probably the sub)
  • a dynamic midfielder
Keays or Pedlar’s spot could maybe be in danger if you want to add an extra midfielder, too

I like to look at it from a standpoint of who should be in our team in 2027 (assuming no one leaves, touch wood). Have stuck with guys who have proven to stand up well at AFL level so far (bar Curtin and Welsh, who I’d hope are safe bets to make it)

B: Michalanney, Murray, Worrell
HB: Hinge, Keane, Curtin
C: Nankervis, Dawson, ?
HF: ?, Fogarty, Rachele
F: Keays, Thilthorpe, Welsh
R: ?, Soligo, Rankine
I/C: Pedlar, ?, ?, ?
Sub: ?

What type of players do the ?’s need to be filled with?

• one HBF, preferably with a turn of speed and a good defensive mindset (Ryan?)
  • two wings, both skilled, at least one with speed (possibly Dowling/Edwards)
  • ruck that is capable of clunking marks and winning the tap effectively
  • one athletic medium forward who is good overhead (Hayward-like, although it sounds like he specifically is less likely now)
  • one speedy small half forward that is a good pressure player (probably the sub)
  • a dynamic midfielder
Keays or Pedlar’s spot could maybe be in danger if you want to add an extra midfielder, too
So we need to play younger guys like Ryan, Dowling, Taylor & Edwards who may fill our missing gaps.

2027... so much will happen, but based on what we currently have...

B: Michaelanny, Murray, Keane
HB: Ryan, Worrell, Milera
C: Edwards, Soligo, Dawson
HF: Rachele, Himmelberg*, Taylor
F: Pedlar, Fogarty, Welsh
R: Thilthorpe, Curtin, Rankine
I: Hinge, Crouch, Nankervis, Cook
E: Dowling

Agree, all we need to do is improve our forward line, defense, ruck and mids. Apart from that we are good to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Nicks wants to go all in on the experience thing…

Back in the mid 90s, Wayne "Flipper" Phillips put his name down for the draft. Described himself in glowing terms

Sam Edmund obviously hasn't watched any of Geordie Payne's 2024 football because he's played mid/forward all year for the Tassie Devils and even in the Young Guns game he plyed solely forward kicking 2.3. He's much much more than a half back, Utility would best describe him, when he plays half back he plays with real dare and run and carry...rarely holds on to the footy for long before putting foot to ball.

We were one of the 3 clubs to fly down to Tassie for a meet and greet with the Payne family in the weeks before last year's draft, from memory the Kangas and Hawks the other two. Hence why I posted a while back that I thought he'd be near the top of our MSD shopping list.

Given his form this year was hoping he was our first pick in the MSD. But looks like he has been playing to well

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And a hell of a lot of their top end players are Sydney Swans Academy products that no other AFL clubs were ever going to have draft access to, wherever they were going to be bid on they would be matched. i.e. Isaac Heeney, Nick Blakey, Errol Gulden, Callum Mills etc/ Decent leg up hey?

Mind you it says a lot about their Swans Academy development program.
View attachment 1997074
The darling club of the AFL. The great "bloods" culture is a myth.

The darling club of the AFL. The great "bloods" culture is a myth.
Do you say that out of jealousy? as it's not a myth according to players who move to the Swans from other clubs.

Did it's bit to make Dawson the player he is.

Wish we'd take a leaf out of their culture book, no Gold Passes at the Swans (please note Nicks)

We're at least six players short of being a good team, that's how many we are currently carrying.

How/where do we find them?
We could start by playing the youth (Dowling, Curtin, Taylor, Ryan) and finding out if they can be some of the missing pieces themselves. We'd still be short a couple (small forward and probably ruck), but it'd at least be a good start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back