List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about that; it's just happened in 2022 and was apparently very close to happening again last year with WC. I can absolutely see a scenario again this year where GC offers North (assuming they stay bottom) 3 x 1st round picks for their 1 - given how much talent they have already have, 1 difference maker rather than 3 more later 1st rounders. Conversely North has so many talent gaps, the 3 x 1st round picks may be very attractive.

And then there's the countless variable scenarios that will come up in the future including extending future trading.

This is unarguably true.

It has happened, it has happened recently, it nearly happened again, and the restrictions are going to be eased further going forward

A better question might be why don’t teams trade pick 1 more often?

That’s a fair observation for the 2012 draft, but there was genuine talent available at where our picks would have been in 2013 draft.

Notionally we would have had picks 8 and 26 in 2013. Used wisely 8 could have been Christian Salem, Dom Sheed or Patrick Cripps.

Maybe 26 could have been Zach Merrett, but we have probably picked Sean Lemmens or Trent Dumont. Others possibilities were George Hewitt, Toby Nankervis and Alex Pearce.

Even in weak drafts you still have options. Trade it on for picks in the next year (even if they would be weaker picks) or use them in trades for other players. You have options.

Clubs have 2x finite resources at their disposal draft picks and a salary cap. You can't lose 2 years of picks and not have significant ramifications for years to come. No surprise Essendon have also been garbage for a long time.

If there’s a bid on Welsh before pick 12 I’ll eat my hat. Tactics or no tactics, he’s nowhere near the top 10 in this draft pool at this point, and history shows that father-sons drop further than expected more often than not. Max was a rare exception to this rule.

I’d say Welsh falling outside the top 25 is more far more likely than a bid before pick 10.

Most likely landing spot: right around that Max range (15-20). The only way that changes if he starts kicking bags of 4-5 goals in the SANFL, which I suppose isn’t impossible, but yeah, Mick Godden. Lol.

As for Draper, personally I would rather any of Jagga Smith, Josh Smillie or Finn O’Sullivan for our list than Sid. Sid I would have on par with Christian Moraes, with Moraes firming as a slightly better list fit for mine. Not saying Sid is a poor option by any stretch, but he’s absolutely not going inside the top 5 at this stage, and might fall to around 9-12, especially if there are any flight risk concerns from the VIC clubs.

I agree that moving up to a top 5 pick (if we even need to move up because we’re still a genuine chance of finishing in the bottom 5 at this stage) would be nice for us in order to guarantee a top line mid, but I’d be pulling the trigger on Jagga there rather than Sid without even needing to think twice. Smillie looks a lock to go pick 1 and I just don’t think we’ll ever see a club trade pick 1 - there’s too much fear surrounding the consequences, plus he’s the only type of mid North don’t already have. O’Sullivan is by far the most likely to go at pick 2 and he’s a great fit at Richmond - they aren’t trading that pick in a million years. An Ashcroft bid comes somewhere in the top 6 to push everyone down a spot. The rest is up for debate and some teams will be prioritising talls over mids.

Port have absolutely no way of trading up above where our first pick will fall to take Draper or any other player for that matter, without giving up a superstar. Nobody will value Port’s 2025 first rounder at better than pick 18-20 value in the 2024 draft, and Port’s first 2024 pick is in the mid 30s (their own second rounder). Even combining their best picks in 2024 and 2025 would get them maybe to pick 14-15 at best in a trade. They have nobody of value that they’ll be looking to offload in a trade either. Port will be active in the free agent market and look likely to land Perryman, but other than that it’s probably a quiet offseason coming for them. Much quieter than ours needs to be.
Settle down, some very broad opinions here on the pecking order before a ball has even been kicked in this year's Nationals. A lot more water to go under that bridge before there is a semblance of a pecking order.

He hasn't the defensive game ....nor the tank ....it's why Rachele falters as the season progresses

Rankine always had the tank to play midfield .....there was simply a reluctance to do so ....a case trying to fit existing players into that midfield ....Nicks has to start making the tough calls

Hardwick has run 4 different players off HB this year ....he looks for a couple of games, then swings the axe
It seems I'm not alone in questioning Rachele's defensive game .... thoughts MRB37 ABAB

Not sure most acknowledge this is at the absolute CORE of attracting good to elite players to SA. Having lived in all of the 5 major Oz cities (except Perth) for 3 years+ each, unfortunately - rightly or wrongly - overall Adelaide is not perceived as an attractive place to live for high earning young Professionals. Look at core demographic trends and net flow of young graduates over the decades. Unfortunately it’s often quite derided but I won’t go there as I personally love my home town but that’s not a widely shared view by many.

It’s why neither Power or us have ever been able to attract an elite non SA lad in over 50 collective years. We struggle to often even get SA boys to return home. Swans in the last 30 years have had 2 of the top 4 greatest goal kickers ever (and 2 of 3 from the last 80-90 years), Tippett etc. Why did Grundy choose Swans over Power last year do you think? Why would I not be surprised to see Keane move back to MLB? Once you have lived in a a bigger more dynamic city (esp MLB and SYD) it’s not easy for many to live in ADL.

We are always at a massive competitive disadvantage with this. Similar to Perth teams.

One of our biggest structural disadvantages and not able to be overcome. And yes means we need to chase home any decent young SA boy or draft well in the first place. Or do a Noble and pick exceptionally well under-appreciated players from interstate clubs (Lynch, JJ etc)

To highlight how much experience (and leadership) we will be losing, when the veterans retire...

Adelaide currently have 37 players on the list who have played at least 1x AFL game (plus 6 who are yet to debut). The entire playing list has played a total of 2817 games. The "big 4" - Walker, Smith, Sloane, and Laird - account for 1014 of those games, or 36%. These players are either retired (Sloane), or likely within 1-2 years of retirement. The rest of the squad averages just 46.2 games per player, or 54.6 excluding those who have yet to debut.

This is the size of the hole which the club has dug for itself, through a combination of aggressively culling the list, some dubious draft selections, and woeful player development. This is why they need to be looking at Free Agency, players aged 27-29, to significantly boost our stocks of experience/leadership players.

It seems I'm not alone in questioning Rachele's defensive game .... thoughts MRB37 ABAB

The thinking is why we keep refusing to change and aren't moving forward. There's always an excuse why we can't do something. How about we give a guy a shot and empower the player to be successful?

"You've got 3 weeks to play a lot midfield while Rankine is out. He's the bar, here's what we need you to do, go out there and smash it"

3-4 weeks ago the media was on Rankine for not defensive running and he got it and it wasn't a problem. It's just another example of being afraid of failure and not giving ourselves a chance at success because of it. Reps is how you get better, we got a shot to give a guy some reps while in a patch of games that are fixture wise the easiest we'll have all year and we're all "whoa, hold the breaks here, kid might do something wrong, better go back to the old reliable Crouch/Laird combo"

There's nothing there about poor defence ? .....you've extrapolated the comment to a meaning that suits your post

King questioned Rankine’s leadership and abilities to play to team structures during the Crows’ loss to Essendon the previous Friday night.

“I’ve worked out why Izak Rankine is not in the leadership group,” King said.

“Rankine has got a decision to make – is it individual over team or team over individual? Nothing will change with this footy club until that changes.
This was in April ....2 months later the same bloke (King) is lauding Rankine as potentially in the top 3 players in the AFL

There are several players whom Coaches have said, can do their own thing, and positional changes .....Dusty Martin was one ....Naicos another that has free reign, not necessarily positional freedom .....and I dare say, Rankine will be in that group

That said, I do think, if you're going to say Rachele shouldn't play in the midfield, because he's poor defensively ....and lets agree Rowey was being diplomatic ....then HTF does Crouch escape the same criticism ?

There's nothing there about poor defence ? .....you've extrapolated the comment to a meaning that suits your post

This was in April ....2 months later the same bloke (King) is lauding Rankine as potentially in the top 3 players in the AFL

There are several players whom Coaches have said, can do their own thing, and positional changes .....Dusty Martin was one ....Naicos another that has free reign, not necessarily positional freedom .....and I dare say, Rankine will be in that group

That said, I do think, if you're going to say Rachele shouldn't play in the midfield, because he's poor defensively ....and lets agree Rowey was being diplomatic ....then HTF does Crouch escape the same criticism ?
The article literally starts with

"The blowtorch has been put on Crow Izak Rankine for a defensive effort in Friday night’s loss to Essendon."

“So if the opposition win the ball, you’ve got to do your job defensively until you can perform that handover.

“Simple stuff, every team gets it done week in, week out. But (Rankine) doesn’t, he just wants to do his own thing. If the Crows back six win this, he wants to be an option.

“But he commits Berry to a 40 metre offside player and Parish is in a very aggressive position right here. In the end he gets a chip pass at the top of a goalsquare and kicks the goal.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude - there was also a short segment on one of the footy shows basically saying Rankine should have run defensively with his man until he handed over to Berry. Was highlighted in a few places.

But, but, but … evidence or it didn’t happen…

Evidence provided … but but but that’s only one piece and you’ve embellished…

Another poster weighs in … but but but … happy clapping

He probably forgot about them in the first 8 weeks of last year when Rachele last played in the midfield. It's has been a while and to be fair he had a handful of very poor defensive effort this year which stick in your minds but like I said, his mindset seem to be different when he played there.

"whoa, hold the breaks here, kid might do something wrong, "
This irks me no end . If I had a specific complaint - yeah yeah pne of many I know - it would be ( as I noted before) we wait for the kid to eliminate all the mistakes from their game.

Who cares its not like he is the only one making mistakes

Back the kid in for once

Collingwood had 6 players with under 10 games last night
They also had 11 players with 100+ games. We only have 8 such players on our entire list.

There has to be a balance, between experienced players and youth. You can have a relatively large number of youngsters (e.g. Collingwood's 6) of youngsters, if you have a sufficiently large cadre of veterans surrounding them. Adelaide no longer has a sufficiently large cadre of veterans - the inexperienced youngsters are surrounded by only marginally less inexperienced players in the 30-80 game range. The problem is only likely to get worse, when our "big 4" are gone (noting that 1 of them has already retired).

Could see that coming from a mile away

Expecting Berry to follow suit
Feel likes its going to be another offseason where we end up without improving the list, and if you're an outsider looking in seeing the decision making Nicks is making.. it's no surprise.

Watching the VFL game Footscray vs Port Melbourne....Former Pie Trent Bianco on fire deep in the 2nd quarter 18 disposals, 5 clearances, kicking exceptional, not doing his MSD chances any harm that's for sure. We could do worse than have a serious look too.

Edit: make that 19d's, 6 clearances and a goal at half time.

We were also absolutely shafted by priority picks. One of Anderson or Rowell would be playing for us instead of Mcasey. If hamish selected him that is.
Even if we didnt get shafted and anderson wouldve been there at our pick..

The dicks running our club wouldve probably still traded down and grabbed the Fish..

At the time.. They thought they already had a gun midfield in sloane, keays, laird and crouch..

Years later.. They still think laird and crouch are guns..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back