Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure it's just an inside joke to do with their Poker group they had. I can't remember exactly but it was mentioned on one of the podcasts.

Mods should we pin the archive link to the top so everyone can dump the articles in here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mods should we pin the archive link to the top so everyone can dump the articles in here?
That feels a step too far in promoting getting around stuff that is supposed to be paid for

Attachments

• IMG_5207.jpeg
    IMG_5207.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 211
The 🐘 in the room
I think the West is dramatising this issue a bit, but I also think the fans who get defensive and say “there’s nothing to see here” are also not being fully honest with themselves.
I reckon the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
A good point was made by this author - everyone cannot be paid the full market value they are worth on a premiership list. It’s even more true at clubs like freo on the fringes of the competition.
I worry about the mid season trade period. I think it will be a net negative for the club overall.
I also found it a bit concerning that we couldn’t persuade moderate AFL players like billings or Xav Durssma to come here - apparently they both turned us down. Could add Brockman to that list too. What was their reason I wonder. I’m sure we were offering good money to all 3

I also found it a bit concerning that we couldn’t persuade moderate AFL players like billings or Xav Durssma to come here - apparently they both turned us down. Could add Brockman to that list too. What was their reason I wonder. I’m sure we were offering good money to all 3
You are? I bet the reason the reason Billings and Durssma didn't come is the same reason hardly any non WA player ever does (and the same for West Coast): to get a player with choices to move all the way over to WA you have to offer above market rate.

If we don't have room in our cap to give Hamling two years we dont have room to pay B graders a premium to sign on.

Brockman we can set aside. Our offer was almost certainly lower and the improved offer came after he had committed and was probably still lower year on year anyway. If we had really wanted him from the beginning we could have got him.

You are? I bet the reason the reason Billings and Durssma didn't come is the same reason hardly any non WA player ever does (and the same for West Coast): to get a player with choices to move all the way over to WA you have to offer above market rate.

If we don't have room in our cap to give Hamling two years we dont have room to pay B graders a premium to sign on.
Billings had no interest in leaving Vic. There were bugger all interested parties in Melbourne let alone interstate. Freo would have enquired as part of the Henry deal. Honestly he is way too injury prone.

Duursma is an interesting one. Someone said he has a girlfriend in WA. The approach from Freo came late and he also was set on returning to Vic.

Freo have had a few interstate players happy to come (Aish, Corbett, Brodie) and West Coast (Redden, Witherden, Flynn, Vardy, Hunt) - can’t think of others but they aren’t household names.

I liked the WC recruitment of Jayden Hunt. I actually thought James Jordan could have been a decent low cost Wing addition and he was obviously willing to move interstate.

West Coast courted the above names for some time. We don’t have too much success coming in late, so late that the players are already well into discussions to return to their home state. In the case of Billing’s it was really an afterthought where negotiations not progressing for Henry trade.

I think the West is dramatising this issue a bit, but I also think the fans who get defensive and say “there’s nothing to see here” are also not being fully honest with themselves.
I reckon the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
A good point was made by this author - everyone cannot be paid the full market value they are worth on a premiership list. It’s even more true at clubs like freo on the fringes of the competition.
I worry about the mid season trade period. I think it will be a net negative for the club overall.
It’s one thing that WC do well in retaining players. Obviously the players
know they will be looked after during and after footy.
Whether that’s real estate advice, Hungry Jacks, etc, and even the coach
gets the secret handshake.
While we have the reputation of being small town business. The reality is that
we are more like Gold Coast but without the handouts.
So the flying hours, away from family, it’s a hard sell, especially with no
footprint in Victoria.
It was the same with Swans, Lions, until football legends were associated with
lifting the profile, and the AFL charity.
North, GC, are trying to change, yet we are hoping we can turn lemon into
Lemonade. With the AFL, WA footy commission doing the bare minimum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back