Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If that's the case then throw some Victorian sides on the plane to have home games at Optus.

But only the clubs that play away games at their current home ground and have room in those games for the fans to show up.

I don't expect Collingwood to play a home game at Optus but a side that only gets 40,000 to the MCG on a home game and even less for an away game won't stop their fans seeing the team live 11 times a season.

If that's the case then throw some Victorian sides on the plane to have home games at Optus.

But only the clubs that play away games at their current home ground and don't have room in those games for the fans to show up.

I don't expect Collingwood to play a home game at Optus but a side that only gets 40,000 to the MCG on a home game and even less for an away game won't stop their fans seeing the team live 11 times a season.
No Brainer!
We can give them a bigger crowd than they would get at home!
Whats not to like?
They can even sit at the front of the plane!

No Brainer!
We can give them a bigger crowd than they would get at home!
Whats not to like?
They can even sit at the front of the plane!

Boomer Harvey said it best when he said that there's no way he plays close to the number of games he does if he had to get on a plane every second game.

All the players know it, all the journalists know it and everyone is just trying to protect the advantage their sides get staying at home for months at a time because they know it has a material impact on results.

will all this talk of Travel. The Eagles have won 4 permierships....

Imagine how many they win if they didnt travel every 2nd week

Hmmmm nahh lets keep the travel

You can't argue with geography. We are where we are and the burden of travel is what we signed up to, there's nothing to be done about it. What can be done though, is some sympathetic fixturing that acknowledges and in some way offsets some of that burden.

self serving wonkers

AFL teams time on planes in 2024​

TeamTripsTime in air
Fremantle1196hr 0m
West Coast1183hr 0m
Gold Coast1265hr 20m
Brisbane1161hr 45m
Sydney1142hr 35m
GWS Giants1142hr 0m
Melbourne837hr 35m
North Melbourne1037hr 20m
Adelaide1037h 20m
Port Adelaide1034hr 50m
Richmond732hr 10m
Geelong731hr 55m
Hawthorn1030hr 50m
Collingwood625hr 25m
Essendon625hr 0m
St Kilda724hr 35m
Carlton623hr 45m
Bulldogs621hr 45m

Y

And this is the main reason interstate teams cant win PRemierships apparenty :)

Except for Adelaide. Port Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and those evil Weagles

Hmmmm why is it only Fremantle not winning premierships

TeamTripsTime in air
Fremantle1196hr 0m
West Coast1183hr 0m
Gold Coast1265hr 20m
Brisbane1161hr 45m
Sydney1142hr 35m
GWS Giants1142hr 0m
Melbourne837hr 35m
Adelaide1037h 20m
Port Adelaide1034hr 50m
Richmond732hr 10m
Geelong731hr 55m
Hawthorn1030hr 50m
Collingwood625hr 25m
Essendon625hr 0m
St Kilda724hr 35m
Carlton623hr 45m
Bulldogs621hr 45m
They should add time zones crossed as well, for Gold coasts 12 time on a plane, they probably only change time zones 4 times to play us, WC, power and crows. We cross 2 time zones every time we fly east, and we still get 1pm (11am) games scheduled

Freo might actually have won one in 2013 to 2015 if our older players didn't break down over the season.

Sitting with your leg up and the quad nearly as unstretched as it gets would be a problem after a rogue knee
We cant complain about 2015 we set ourselves up for every advantage possible to win that flag and we blew it.

Just didn't have the arsenal or Ross tightened up.

We had 2 finals at home hawthorn had to travel to Perth twice during the finals we had 1 game in a month leading into the prelim and hadn't hopped on a plane for 5 weeks as we sent peel over for the final round game against Port.

Weren't good enough sounds brutal but it's the truth and that loss broke me and I reckon the playing group more then 2013 GF as we had everything in our favour and we still couldn't get it done.

We cant complain about 2015 we set ourselves up for every advantage possible to win that flag and we blew it.

We had 2 finals at home hawthorn had to travel to Perth twice during the finals we had 1 game in a month leading into the prelim and hadn't hopped on a plane for 5 weeks as we sent peel over for the final round game against Port.

Weren't good enough sounds brutal but it's the truth and that loss broke me and I reckon the playing group more then 2013 GF as we had everything in our favour and we still couldn't get it done.
Now dont let the Facts get in the way of a Good Story.

Apparently travelling long distance causes Fremantly to lose finals,.,, hmmm we would never lose home prelim final surely. especailly after a week off resting.

Hmmm !!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2015 we were cooked. Fyfe broke his leg in the Prelim and IIRC Pav blew out his calf. Neither would have played in the GF if we won the Prelim.

They should add time zones crossed as well, for Gold coasts 12 time on a plane, they probably only change time zones 4 times to play us, WC, power and crows. We cross 2 time zones every time we fly east, and we still get 1pm (11am) games scheduled
I think that was mentioned in the article I took that from.

Yeah I was gonna say didn’t we have our best forward, best defender and best midfielder all injured at the end of 2015? Fyfe was winning games for us that year off his own boot. There was no way we were winning a grand final without him.

You can't argue with geography. We are where we are and the burden of travel is what we signed up to, there's nothing to be done about it. What can be done though, is some sympathetic fixturing that acknowledges and in some way offsets some of that burden.
We can argue and we should.
One day, not far away, there will be 10 Vic teams and 10 non Vic teams!
We have made their comp bigger and better and they increasingly need us.
And the AFL espouses equalisation .
And medical research evidence continues to pile up.
So since we signed up...
there are 3, soon to be 4 more non Vic teams!
And back then flying was fun, now it's like the new smoking!
Times have changed.
We can increasingly leverage their self interest against their hypocrisy!
Taylor points out what amounts to a conflict of interest between the "powerhouse" Melbourne clubs and those who would be better off playing a home game at Optus in front of 45000!
Old power alliances can fracture under new circumstances.
Perhaps instead of calling for the euthanasia of the perennial battlers of the VFL we should be reaching out with home game assistance packages?

TeamTripsTime in air
Fremantle1196hr 0m
West Coast1183hr 0m
Gold Coast1265hr 20m
Brisbane1161hr 45m
Sydney1142hr 35m
GWS Giants1142hr 0m
Melbourne837hr 35m
Adelaide1037h 20m
Port Adelaide1034hr 50m
Richmond732hr 10m
Geelong731hr 55m
Hawthorn1030hr 50m
Collingwood625hr 25m
Essendon625hr 0m
St Kilda724hr 35m
Carlton623hr 45m
Bulldogs621hr 45m
Have seen a lot of these stats lately and I notice we always seem to be travelling a bit more than the eagles? It’s not much but it’s a bit, why is that?

Should absolutely look at partnering with Virgin & WC (throw in Scorchers and Wildcats for summer as well) and look at a bespoke fitout for an aircraft.

Recovery facilities, beds more space. It can be loaned to the state of origin teams and other teams to assist with recovery. Virgin supply the crew and plane maintenance same as they do anyway. Clubs pay for the fitout and a leasing fee for the aircraft out of the AFL allowance.

Other clubs want to use when our two teams aren't? sure, but pay up.

At the very least they could avoid sending us to Tasmania. I really can’t understand why we haven’t pushed hard against the Launceston trips over the years.
If we go via charter plane it isn't too bad, but normal travel to Tassie is ridiculous for WA clubs. Hope they a least arrange it around the bye.

I see we are heading to Alice Springs in a few weeks to play the Dees. That’s not too bad as I guess the flight is a couple of hours less than going to Launceston.
Still an off broadway slot all the same.

Have seen a lot of these stats lately and I notice we always seem to be travelling a bit more than the eagles? It’s not much but it’s a bit, why is that?
EDIT: I found a stat where the eagles are travelling slightly more than us 😂

If we got one more home game I’d be happy enough to be honest. At least it would be an acknowledgement of the disadvantage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back