Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the sounds from on the field, the thump of the ball, the calling for the ball, etc. I wish the telecast would mix those sounds a bit louder than the crowd, which is also important. Like NFL, you hear the hits and QB calls AND the crowd. Last have the announcer buried a bit more and a lot less chatter.
In American sports, it's crazy but the Yanks have figured it out when normally you'd think they'd be the ones more overboard.
They understand that LESS IS MORE. CBS team are fantastic for NFL...guys like Mike Breen, Kevin Harlan and Ian Eagle are experts at it for NBA.

For some reason in Australian sport they think MORE is MORE and that's how we end up with people like BT, Brayshaw and the like calling games where they scream and yell and act like absolute clowns even on the most basic of plays.

Huddo is soo far above atm because he knows when to go up an octave and get excited or when to bring it down to conversational.
That's how commentary should be done.

It also allows for more "on field" noise and ambience which immerses you more into the action. Makes you feel like you're sitting in the stadium watching.
I'm not saying it needs to be like Soccer where the commentators sound bored half the time, just know when to elevate and when to regulate. It's definitely an art form.

I feel its time I stepped out of the shadows and claimed some recognition.

At some point early in this AFL season I will celebrate my 1200th VFL/AFL game – obviously not as a player but as a card-carrying, one-eyed, Cataholic, rusted-on, Geelong supporter. My journey began late-September 1963 when the Cats & Polly smacked an insipid Hawthorn by 8 goals. The game was brought to me via a grainy black & white TV replay in far away coastal NSW. I was hooked.

Despite a number of medical episodes and soft-tissue injuries along the way, not to mention a recent heart attack, I have not failed to take my preferred TV viewing position for every game (if broadcast), every season. This preferred position is mid-couch with the rest of my equally committed family taking up the flanks. My wife has settled on a wing as the fast running link between fridge and couch.

My family’s enthusiasm and knowledge are important ingredients as a measure of the level of team support and I humbly claim to have been BOC (Best on Couch) on most game days. I will also claim goal assist credits as I channel mental positives to Tommy whenever he lines up from a pocket.

So, this couch warrior in coastal NSW will kit up in scarf and cap again this year after a restless pre-season ready to go again. To all those other couch supporters out there who, often from a distance, have also celebrated premierships as well as suffering the quiet years - I share with you the gain and the pain.

Go the Cats ‘24.

I feel its time I stepped out of the shadows and claimed some recognition.

At some point early in this AFL season I will celebrate my 1200th VFL/AFL game – obviously not as a player but as a card-carrying, one-eyed, Cataholic, rusted-on, Geelong supporter. My journey began late-September 1963 when the Cats & Polly smacked an insipid Hawthorn by 8 goals. The game was brought to me via a grainy black & white TV replay in far away coastal NSW. I was hooked.

Despite a number of medical episodes and soft-tissue injuries along the way, not to mention a recent heart attack, I have not failed to take my preferred TV viewing position for every game (if broadcast), every season. This preferred position is mid-couch with the rest of my equally committed family taking up the flanks. My wife has settled on a wing as the fast running link between fridge and couch.

My family’s enthusiasm and knowledge are important ingredients as a measure of the level of team support and I humbly claim to have been BOC (Best on Couch) on most game days. I will also claim goal assist credits as I channel mental positives to Tommy whenever he lines up from a pocket.

So, this couch warrior in coastal NSW will kit up in scarf and cap again this year after a restless pre-season ready to go again. To all those other couch supporters out there who, often from a distance, have also celebrated premierships as well as suffering the quiet years - I share with you the gain and the pain.

Go the Cats ‘24.
Yes, but have you been paying membership fees?;)

Bruhn had zero effective possessions in that video package and couldn’t break tackles twice (but they were not really breakable tackles).

A few small things I liked from the very limited video was.

* Bowes busting through the middle of the ground after a stoppage at pace.

* Stevens in the action and looking fit.

* Danger looks like he is running on top of the ground (fingers crossed he stays fit).

* Willis winning a 1v1 against Jack Henry.

* Conway looks like he can out ruck Stanley (around the ground might differ though)

* Guthrie/J Henry just being back in the action.

The video gave us very little.

Bring on the trail matches.
Agree in terms of the footage not really giving us much…
Hes pretty handy but my takeaway from those highlights is tanner looks primed.
Pure and I have slightly different persepctives on Mannagh vs Dempsey (not that either couldn’t be best 22 but which one is likely round 1)…but on Tanner I think we have been fully aligned from day 1.…he is going to be a star.

I do get that in this video (which was last Monday match sim) it doesn’t really give a clue on Tanner (he was coming back from 10 days not training) but I understand that from the Thursday match sim he was outstanding. ”Dominated” was the word I was told. Yes Danger didn’t play and Atkins only a half (in the orange team) but still Tanner seems firmly in the best midfield. And I think he will build this year into the star he will be - maybe not for all of 24 but we will be very excited for him going into 2025

I do get that in this video (which was last Monday match sim) it doesn’t really give a clue on Tanner (he was coming back from 10 days not training) but I understand that from the Thursday match sim he was outstanding. ”Dominated” was the word I was told. Yes Danger didn’t play and Atkins only a half (in the orange team) but still Tanner seems firmly in the best midfield. And I think he will build this year into the star he will be - maybe not for all of 24 but we will be very excited for him going into 2025

I’ll just wait until I see it with my own eyes - re Bruhn dominating.

I really hope he is flying.
I’m coming around to him for sure.

But I’ve seen how people have rated him over the last year and I feel whatever he does gets a nice dollop of Mayo added right on top.

I’ve seen people giving him votes in game where he has had 13 touches.

I’ve seen people give him votes in games where he has had 6 effective possessions.

I’ve seen people giving him votes when he has played one half decent quarter.

I’ve seen people say he is looking good from a video where he had one ineffective scrub kick of the ground.

But the reality is that he never got one coaches vote last year, so not once did our coach or any other coach think he was in the top 5 players on the ground… but our supporters had him in there plenty of times… stacks of times.

I think people were accessing him pretty favourably.

So whilst I really hope he did dominate… I just can’t fully believe it until I see it with my own eyes.

I will say that I’m happy we have him… I do now think he will be a solid player for us… He seems like a leader.

He was definitely more Impressive in the last half of last season (without looking great) but showing good signs.

I’ve come to terms with how much longer most young inside mids take to get their groove on.

I look forward to seeing him dominate for sure with my own eyes.

If he can become a serious player it will be huge for us and our next gen midfield.

I think he will be solid at the very least.

I just can’t fully believe what others say about his game though without at least getting some stats.

Bring on the practice matches.

P.S if you’re track watcher is the coach or part of the coaching team… well that holds much more weight than us Bigfooty randoms… so I hope they are.

Last edited:
I thought there were some interesting little bits out of that:

• Dempsey was the only one of the youngsters in blue;
  • Jed and Oisin in pink;
  • Stewart seemingly starting at two stoppages as the match up on Hardie;
  • Willis and Clohesy forward;
  • SDK as the second ruck despite Blitz playing

It is only two minutes of footage and they're clearly not full strength, so not sure it's worth that much, and not like any of this stuff is a massive revelation.

• Jed and Oisin in pink;

It is only two minutes of footage and they're clearly not full strength, so not sure it's worth that much, and not like any of this stuff is a massive revelation.
Think Blitz is still not doing contact so him not rucking might be temporary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Jed and Oisin in pink;

Blitz has missed a massive amount of contact work this PS so thats probably why he wasnt rucking and we needed someone vs conway when stanley was off. Agree re the rest

Think Blitz is still not doing contact so him not rucking might be temporary
blitz in the “yellow hat” which is limited contact (unfortunately Kolo has been in it all preseason to manage his head) given he is just back from a hammy…. In any event we are going to see blitz play huge % on the wing I think. And ruck around middle of the ground but not centre bounces.

Agree in terms of the footage not really giving us much…

Pure and I have slightly different persepctives on Mannagh vs Dempsey (not that either couldn’t be best 22 but which one is likely round 1)…but on Tanner I think we have been fully aligned from day 1.…he is going to be a star.

I agree with that on tanner..i should be wary of reading too much into highlights but the biggest thing for me was he looks in ripping knick body wise and it looked to me like his around the ground running was way better-given his endurance was a weakness thats a very good sign.

I was very happy about the condition holmes looked in too and stevens seems to be in much better shape (obviously off a lower base).

blitz in the “yellow hat” which is limited contact (unfortunately Kolo has been in it all preseason to manage his head) given he is just back from a hammy…. In any event we are going to see blitz play huge % on the wing I think. And ruck around middle of the ground but not centre bounces.
The 2020 structure ruck system then! I'm on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back