Half-backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Centreline:David CuninghamPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew CottrellHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraCorey Durdin
Orazio FantasiaMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Jack CarrollOllie HollandsBrodie Kemp

There’s probably a better chance of Lewis Young winning a Brownlow, but…

Does anyone have 2-3 tickets for the game? I’m willing to part with my first born 🙏

Don’t disagree, that’s why I’d drop Owies, but I asked what can we do to fix our defensive issues?

What changes need to be made this week?

Improving disposal by foot would be a good start, the number of turnovers we gave Geelong due to poor kicking was terrible. If you're going to have a hard press into our forward half you'd better make damn sure you hit targets otherwise you're ****ed on rebound.

Once again we were guilty of a lot of shallow entries into our F50 which makes it a lot easier for the opposition to rebound quickly if the ball comes to ground which it did (due in part to s**t delivery). Nothing more scary for a defender than deep entries into their D50. Lower the eyes a bit further out and get that last kick forward deep instead bombing it from the wing and the ball drop landing at the 45/50 metre mark.

For the back six it is what it is at the moment with key players out. I'd like to see Durdin come in for Young if he's ready, Young is too easily out manoeuvred and out muscled and looks scared to kick it.

Overall for me it needs to tighten up further up the ground, best back six in the comp wouldn't have been able to defend a lot of the turnovers we gave Geelong.

Wouldn't mind that, Williams had 5 ground ball gets and 18 pressure acts against the Cats... more than Durdin and Owies combined...

We def need something different up forward and Williams could give some x factor.

Been saying this since last year

With Cinc, Boyd Saad Newman we are well stocked for HBFs

He has X factor send him forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if I'm rehashing stuff here.

It is clear we are missing Gov and Saad. They are both quality ball users and that's where we're missing them the most IMHO. Young who has come in for Gov, is an average ball user and is quite slow to move the ball. Gov on the other hand is always looking to get the ball moving and get it into a dangerous position for us. Cowan has come in for Saad.

I love his hardness and his passion but he lacks the composure Saad has with ball in hand and its hurting us. With that, I would be loathe to move Zac W further up the field as he is needed down back. When those two are back, def something to consider.

I actually thought Zac W was much better in the last quarter. Maybe that whack he copped just before 3 qtr time woke him up. No question, he was beyond poor before that. Being outbodied by players much smaller than him in particular. With that if and only if (as I know very little about him), I'd consider bringing in Billy Wilson in place of Cowan if he is more composed with ball in hand. Maybe those who have watched him closely can shed some light on that?

Cerra back will help though I think pre injury he has been down on last years output. Not exactly a like for like, but would drop Ollie. Love what he produced last year. I know he runs hard and pushed back defensively when others don't, but footy is a brutal business and the brutal fact is he has been mostly poor this year. Has not found anywhere near enough of the footy and his kicking has not been up to standard.

I'd like to see him have a good block in the VFL where he can find the footy more and with a bit more time and space, use it better. Build his confidence and come back into the senior team in the 2nd half of the season a much better player.

Up forward we are way too Charlie and Harry focussed. They've both been great but we need to find other avenues to goal. Several times last week we went to Charlie when he had 2 or 3 on him rather than looking for a better option.

Our smalls may provide decent defensive pressure but none of them hit the scoreboard enough. As great as our mids are, they are not noted goalkickers either. Jesse is far and away our best crumbing forward but unfortunately is still a fair way away. Given all that, I'd look at Ashto Moir in the not too distant future. He may not get a lot of it, but he impacts the scoreboard.

Is meant to be good in the air, has pace so should be able to get separation and can get it on the deck. A bit of hybrid forward like Jack Martin who is always injured. Not opposed to Charlie playing higher up the ground but he needs to work on his defensive efforts.

This bobbing your head up and down pretending you're chasing hard when you're clearly not is shitting me. H was criticised for his defensive efforts 2 or 3 years ago. He has worked on it and is much better now. Charlie needs to get better cos he'll cost us on the scoreboard further up the field if he continues to apply little or no pressure.

Anyway, we should win this week.

The pies are just going but they are dangerous so we need to defend the transition a lot better than we have been, move it out of defense better than we have been and look for better forward 50 options.

Goes without saying our conversion needs to improve too.

probably! So what do you do when they aren't in place? Cop that he's been defending horribly or drop him for a tougher defender (Cincotta) until the troops that let him shine are back?
Exactly! This is why we have coaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who’s the better defender..Boyd or Williams ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Williams is fine surrounded by Saad and Gov, but I believe Boyd is the better defender. Also think he would be the better forward

Yep good kick and would add ferocity inside the 50M.

Yeap

We had 66 inside 50's but Durdin and Owies combined only had 2 tackles inside 50?

I don't even know what to say or think of that to be honest.....
You can relax - I'm sure Vossty will have PLENTY to say about it.

We had 66 inside 50's but Durdin and Owies combined only had 2 tackles inside 50?

I don't even know what to say or think of that to be honest.....
66 inside 50s and not a single crumbed goal between them. Genuinely nuts that some posters think we don't need to upgrade our smalls.

They are crumbing to the best KPF pairing in the comp and still can't get a sniff. Shocking.

66 inside 50s and not a single crumbed goal between them. Genuinely nuts that some posters think we don't need to upgrade our smalls.

They are crumbing to the best KPF pairing in the comp and still can't get a sniff. Shocking.

It gets better... only one f50 ground ball get between them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back