2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

May v Stewart at the moment.
Stewart got a lot v Crows, but was helped by the fact they just kicked it to him :p

Hard week to gauge given GWS, Geel and Dees played the 3 worst teams in the comp.
Dont think Crows are that bad, I just personally would have him easily over Powell

Nah, i wouldn't take Powell out. He and Idun have been super impressive all year.
May v Stewart for me. close one too
Fair enough, I'm a big fan of Powell too. Thought he was excellent round 0 but hasn't been that great the last 2 weeks. Hasn't played bad just nothing special.

Fair enough, I'm a big fan of Powell too. Thought he was excellent round 0 but hasn't been that great the last 2 weeks. Hasn't played bad just nothing special.
he was very good last week too.
not as good this week. but also, not the position i'd have stewart vying for.

May or maybe Ryan is where i usually slide Tom in

Being tall and seen as more of an Aussie Rules player, I've been put at CB in soccer also. It is completely different - for the reasons you mention. In footy, as a defender, you can prevent your opponent having an impact through body pressure and physicality. You can physically move and bump them to prevent them getting the ball and when they do get it, you can hammer them into the ground instantaneously. You can also just kill the ball by punching it away. The outnumber defenders have in footy allow one player to occupy the forward and one player is free to inercept the ball at will.

Soccer is COMPLETELY different. You can't touch your man whatsoever before the ball arrives. You obviously can't smash him when he gets it and even tackling has to be very clean/cautious to not overcommit and not foul. Basically, you are forced to be completely reactive to whatever he does and requires a higher level reading of the play, reading/predicting of your opponent and a crap load of luck. Even 1 mistake as a defender can cost your team the game. Most of the time good defence is built on (a) numbers behind the ball (b) your opposition making an error/giving you an in and (c) luck. Obviously good positioning and defensive skills helps a lot but at least at the lower levels, your team mates are typically happy to attack and get the glory and are less willing to help in defence. As soon as you don't have numbers behind the ball, you can be the best defender in the world with best reading/positioning but you've got no chance if the opposition have space and options to work in.

That’s fair you don’t have those options and a very relevant point. Physically you’re 100 per cent correct, I was thinking more from a tactical standpoint, a defender in both games would have to make some decisions that an attacker doesn’t with repercussions that an attacker probably doesn’t have to face but I see your point and it’s quite fair

There it is folks, your first 🔒 of the 2024 season

CHF: Harry McKay

Thank god we didn’t trade him for a packet of chips last year 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn showing just how clearly he is the number 1 ruck in the game.
Gawn is the best ruckman ever.... Up there with Polly.
Definitely the best in my time of watching the footy. Better than Madden. Better than Stynes. Better than Cox.

It's just incredible to see someone 209cm tall who thinks so quickly on his feet and uses his hands so skilfully to win the contested ball and get it over to Petracca, Oliver, Viney, etc with clever handballs and tap ons. He is a unicorn.

Weird thing to say about a 6-time All Australian & premiership captain, but I still don't think people really appreciate just how good he is. Taken for granted, I think. His brilliant play isn't eye-popping like a Naitanui. He is just a natural footballer who provides a steady stream of excellence for the Dees.

Definitely the best in my time of watching the footy. Better than Madden. Better than Stynes. Better than Cox.

It's just incredible to see someone 209cm tall who thinks so quickly on his feet and uses his hands so skilfully to win the ball and get it over to Petracca, Oliver, Viney, etc with clever handballs and tap ons. He is a unicorn.

Weird thing to say about a 6-time All Australian & premiership captain, but still I don't think people really appreciate just how good he is. His brilliance isn't eye-popping like a Naitanui. He is just a natural footballer who provides a steady stream of excellence for the Dees.
totally agree. his contested marking is very good. I don't think the umps look after him the way they should either. The commentators don't help by saying it's good strategy to knock him off the ball. But if/when he gets his 7th AA, that's more than Dean Cox and Gawn probably would've had 8 if not for the Grundy debacle. Not many other rucks can kick 5 in a prelim the way Gawny did in 2021.

totally agree. his contested marking is very good. I don't think the umps look after him the way they should either. The commentators don't help by saying it's good strategy to knock him off the ball. But if/when he gets his 7th AA, that's more than Dean Cox and Gawn probably would've had 8 if not for the Grundy debacle. Not many other rucks can kick 5 in a prelim the way Gawny did in 2021.
Great endurance running too, to get up and down the ground like he does. Works his arse off. You don't notice his running like the quick 198cm-200cm guys, but he is a hell of an athlete. Fit as f**k. 32 years old and still blowing up his younger adversaries.
  • Runs up and down the ground and racks up the disposals like Dean Cox
  • Always get the first hand to the ball for the hitout and provides his mids with an armchair ride... just like Aaron Sandilands.
  • Gives his team a 4th midfielder in the centre square clearance battles... just like Nick Naitanui
  • Controls games with big pack marks across half back line.... just like Jimmy Stynes
  • Goes forward and takes huge marks inside fifty and kicks goals... just like Simon Madden
He's got the lot!

Just always involved in the action like no ruckman I've ever seen.

Great endurance running too, to get up and down the ground like he does. Works his arse off. You don't notice his running like the quick 198cm-200cm guys, but he is a hell of an athlete. Fit as f**k. 32 years old and still blowing up his younger adversaries.
  • Always get the first hand to the ball for the hitout and provides his mids with an armchair ride... just like Aaron Sandilands.
  • Gives his team a 4th midfielder in the centre square clearance battles... just like Nick Naitanui
  • Controls games with big pack marks across half back line.... just like Jimmy Stynes
  • Goes forward and takes huge marks inside fifty and kicks goals... just like Simon Madden
He's got the lot!

Barely even played ruck til he was 16-17 too. Was an intercept defender for our school team until he had a 20ish cm growth spurt in year 10 or 11.

All round legend of a bloke though and probably the best ruckman I've ever seen.

Pump Up Football GIF by Essendon FC

He's got the lot!

BloodySwan Fair to say you were getting way ahead of yourself saying Brodie Grundy was a AA ruck :) Not even close to the calibre of Gawn. He just had a good day on a circus of a ground.

BloodySwan Fair to say you were getting way ahead of yourself saying Brodie Grundy was a AA ruck :) Not even close to the calibre of Gawn. He just had a good day on a circus of a ground.
Just a bit of banter, I really don't care if he makes AA or not.

I find it odd you trawled through the Swans board to find my post and tag me on the mainboard to prove a point?

It's just incredible to see someone 209cm tall who thinks so quickly on his feet and uses his hands so skilfully to win the contested ball and get it over to Petracca, Oliver, Viney, etc with clever handballs and tap ons. He is a unicorn.
He's certainly heading that way.

I might have to reconsider my top 50 GOATs...

Nick Vlastuin will go down as the greatest defender never to be AA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back