Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

You can see the raw elite attributes early in VFL games, but his fitness and strength levels are far below par atm. Almost worth giving him an additional training block or playing him in the development leagues (what we should have done with Edwards more often tbh).

You can see the raw elite attributes early in VFL games, but his fitness and strength levels are far below par atm. Almost worth giving him an additional training block or playing him in the development leagues (what we should have done with Edwards more often tbh).
Offers a lot more than Hamish free right now

Very athletic has the height the gametime will be huge for him

There was one piece of play on the weekend where he got the ball on centre wing, put it under his arm and accelerated before delivering inside 50. It was a small glimpse of what this guy is capable of. He is freakishly quick.

Called the unicorn at the club for good reason.

There was one piece of play on the weekend where he got the ball on centre wing, put it under his arm and accelerated before delivering inside 50. It was a small glimpse of what this guy is capable of. He is freakishly quick.
Anyone have any idea what time this happened in the match?

He is all legs and arms in that clip. Wait for him to get some proper training and some size.

Having said that, I don't see us pushing Wardlaw for sprint training.

What was the selling point for Will Green that saw him rated slightly higher?
Looking at the Rookie Me Central comparison seems like Green is a better footballer this stage with the fundamentals of the game and ruck craft being his strengths whereas Goad has to improve his ruck craft and game sense.
Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 2.27.46 pm.png

What was the selling point for Will Green that saw him rated slightly higher?

More of a footballer than an athlete turned footballer (Goad).

He was the least athletic of the 3 (I count Edwards in the 3 ~ there was really 4 if counting Ethan Read).

I think we probably made the right call, Goad has unbelievable upside and we now have a young ruck in Xerri that we can afford to really bring Goad on across 2-3 seasons.

I think most of you can see, at 207cm and his athletic traits, this kid could be an absolute game changer, especially in big games. I've said it before, but he moves like Luke Jackson but is the size of Max Gawn. Put 15-20kg's on him and he's going to be unmovable.

Free has looked so far off the level required in the first 2 rounds of VFL, I suspect we might be on the lookout for another young ruck in the rookie draft next year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At one stage last Friday Free was free in the pocket with no Carlton player within 30m, and the North bloke with the ball glanced at him and then went back to looking for someone to kick to. Said it all.

What leagues are you referring to here?

More of a footballer than an athlete turned footballer (Goad).

He was the least athletic of the 3 (I count Edwards in the 3 ~ there was really 4 if counting Ethan Read).

I think we probably made the right call, Goad has unbelievable upside and we now have a young ruck in Xerri that we can afford to really bring Goad on across 2-3 seasons.

I think most of you can see, at 207cm and his athletic traits, this kid could be an absolute game changer, especially in big games. I've said it before, but he moves like Luke Jackson but is the size of Max Gawn. Put 15-20kg's on him and he's going to be unmovable.

Free has looked so far off the level required in the first 2 rounds of VFL, I suspect we might be on the lookout for another young ruck in the rookie draft next year.
Hamish Free stinks. I went to the game last week and he has no desire to get from contest to contest. Plus, his skills are the worst on our list.

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back