AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Can see what drove the Doggies mad but even so as a third forward he is well worth having on the park, looks set to be the club's leading goal kicker which is both great for Jake but a sad reflection on our forward line although Stewart has been good.

I’d go back to giving him half of each quarter in the guts. It was never going to be an overnight success and think it shows Wooshas lack of conviction or dedication to the future to give up on it after a few bad results.

He was terrible in the guts though. Honestly, I’d rather give a young kid the time in there to learn.

He wasn’t great and like I said was never going to be an overnight success. I was happy he was averaging about 3.5 clearances and 5 tackles. His faults were not understanding running patterns on the spread to pick up those extra touches that pad your stats.

Ultimately you don’t need to those touches to be a great midfielder. Look at Trent Cotchin, truly became a damaging player when he started getting less but more important touches and that’s the kind of midfielder I’d imagine Stringer could be in a year or two if you stick with the process.

Basically every negative that a Dogs supporter will tell you about his on-field play, even during the trade period last year, is correct.

He's lazy and selfish. It was always evident that there was no second part to his game, it was either Stringer does something great or there was a famine but I'll admit to not watching him that closely (given that he was a Dogs player and I only really watched them when they played us).

It will be interesting to see what happens if Dainher comes out of the side and Stringer is forced to play on someone other than Christian Salem (Stringer is slightly taller and as powerful as Lloyd and I don't recall Lloyd being manned by half back flankers).

His best year netted him 15 more goals than Hooker as the number 1 in a forward line that couldn't otherwise score (with Dickson kicking the other 50 goals they managed that year). Hooker kicked 41 in a forward-line that also had contributions of 65, 39 and 34. Hooker also created a lot of goals and scoring opportunities by dominating the aerial battles close to goal and providing a target for a long kick. Stringer gives us none of that.

I could see the appeal of Stringer playing as a midfielder because he does have the unique set of attributes that can dominate clearances (like Fyfe, Dangerfield and Dusty) but I'd want to think that our list management is a lot smarter than it seems they have been. There are more than enough warning signs that this guy is essentially a liability the likes of which hasn't in a premiership winning forward-line except for the outlier premiership that he was part of (which side was being rebuilt less than 18 months after its success).

One of the biggest arguments in favour of Stringer was that he was 'All Australian' and that you have to bring in that quality. What is the All Australian award? Is that the one voted on by media experts of the caliber David King?

King was running a poll for a whole year arguing that Stringer is the number 1 player in the competition to build a forward line around (over Jesse Hogan). How ******* hilarious and just more evidence that he doesn't form opinions based on watching games as closely as you'd expect an 'expert' to watch a game.

I estimate that the net contribution of Stringer playing in our forwardline is probably -15 to -20 goals. He'll need to kick about 70 goals for it to be any different. I have not doubt that we'll get to the end of the year and he'll have kicked 40 goals and it will be considered a good year.

Basically every negative that a Dogs supporter will tell you about his on-field play, even during the trade period last year, is correct.

He's lazy and selfish. It was always evident that there was no second part to his game, it was either Stringer does something great or there was a famine but I'll admit to not watching him that closely (given that he was a Dogs player and I only really watched them when they played us).

It will be interesting to see what happens if Dainher comes out of the side and Stringer is forced to play on someone other than Christian Salem (Stringer is slightly taller and as powerful as Lloyd and I don't recall Lloyd being manned by half back flankers).

His best year netted him 15 more goals than Hooker as the number 1 in a forward line that couldn't otherwise score (with Dickson kicking the other 50 goals they managed that year). Hooker kicked 41 in a forward-line that also had contributions of 65, 39 and 34. Hooker also created a lot of goals and scoring opportunities by dominating the aerial battles close to goal and providing a target for a long kick. Stringer gives us none of that.

I could see the appeal of Stringer playing as a midfielder because he does have the unique set of attributes that can dominate clearances (like Fyfe, Dangerfield and Dusty) but I'd want to think that our list management is a lot smarter than it seems they have been. There are more than enough warning signs that this guy is essentially a liability the likes of which hasn't in a premiership winning forward-line except for the outlier premiership that he was part of (which side was being rebuilt less than 18 months after its success).

One of the biggest arguments in favour of Stringer was that he was 'All Australian' and that you have to bring in that quality. What is the All Australian award? Is that the one voted on by media experts of the caliber David King?

King was running a poll for a whole year arguing that Stringer is the number 1 player in the competition to build a forward line around (over Jesse Hogan). How ******* hilarious and just more evidence that he doesn't form opinions based on watching games as closely as you'd expect an 'expert' to watch a game.

I estimate that the net contribution of Stringer playing in our forwardline is probably -15 to -20 goals. He'll need to kick about 70 goals for it to be any different. I have not doubt that we'll get to the end of the year and he'll have kicked 40 goals and it will be considered a good year.
Yawn

He’s not a midfielder and never will be. He just doesn’t have the speed. He might be an asset at stoppages, which is a genuine asset, but that doesn’t make him a midfielder.

Reckon he’s been solid as a forward and will improve. My only concern is his speed. He moves like an ocean liner. Even when chasing somebody at full tilt he looks like he’s in slow motion. I don’t know if it’s an injury, too much weight, or a combination of things, but we need to find a way for him to regain a bit of speed.

He’s listed at 92kgs but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s more than that. I’d be happy to see him drop 5-8kgs for next season. Regain a bit of agility. He’s got natural power, it won’t impact his strength much.

He’s not a midfielder and never will be. He just doesn’t have the speed. He might be an asset at stoppages, which is a genuine asset, but that doesn’t make him a midfielder.

Reckon he’s been solid as a forward and will improve. My only concern is his speed. He moves like an ocean liner. Even when chasing somebody at full tilt he looks like he’s in slow motion. I don’t know if it’s an injury, too much weight, or a combination of things, but we need to find a way for him to regain a bit of speed.

He’s listed at 92kgs but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s more than that. I’d be happy to see him drop 5-8kgs for next season. Regain a bit of agility. He’s got natural power, it won’t impact his strength much.

I'd say he's one of those players that is quicker in one direction than the other; seems to be quite explosive and reasonably quick when he's heading in the direction of the goals.

He doesn't have a midfielders instincts from the look of things, and running him through there meant he has none of that power out of congestion that makes him a danger when forward. Maybe he offers that in a few years, but at the moment I don't think it's at all worthwhile to play him on ball.

Playing him as a pseudo-FF has worked OK given our forwardline and forward 50 entries are a shambles, but I think we can't leave him hanging out down there for too long, if the game is being played in our defensive half we should push him in to some centre bounces to try and get him involved, plus he then offers a player that can break tackles and turn momentum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say he's one of those players that is quicker in one direction than the other; seems to be quite explosive and reasonably quick when he's heading in the direction of the goals.

He doesn't have a midfielders instincts from the look of things, and running him through there meant he has none of that power out of congestion that makes him a danger when forward. Maybe he offers that in a few years, but at the moment I don't think it's at all worthwhile to play him on ball.

Playing him as a pseudo-FF has worked OK given our forwardline and forward 50 entries are a shambles, but I think we can't leave him hanging out down there for too long, if the game is being played in our defensive half we should push him in to some centre bounces to try and get him involved, plus he then offers a player that can break tackles and turn momentum.

I'm sure there's an element of that but I would like to see him strip some weight off and I think he could get a bit more agile.

I don't know what he weighed in 2015 but he definitely looks lighter.

I'm sure there's an element of that but I would like to see him strip some weight off and I think he could get a bit more agile.

I don't know what he weighed in 2015 but he definitely looks lighter.

Must be the Dogs jumper being in that slimming blue colour...

I actually wouldn't mind seeing us try using Stringer in a similar role to the way Richmond use Martin or Geelong use Dangerfield as a held back deep FF at times.

Let Stewart work up the ground since he has a great tank and is a pretty good mark, then Stringer can be isolated anywhere forward of the centre square. He's a good one on one player, strong on the ground, and would offer us a good option for those times when we can break through the defensive press.

Often we're caught waiting for our forwards to drift back forward so we end up kicking sideways / backwards or handballing in circles until we turn it over.

A long bomb to an open F50 with Stringer in a one on one? I'd take our chances on that.

Must be the Dogs jumper being in that slimming blue colour...

I actually wouldn't mind seeing us try using Stringer in a similar role to the way Richmond use Martin or Geelong use Dangerfield as a held back deep FF at times.

Let Stewart work up the ground since he has a great tank and is a pretty good mark, then Stringer can be isolated anywhere forward of the centre square. He's a good one on one player, strong on the ground, and would offer us a good option for those times when we can break through the defensive press.

Often we're caught waiting for our forwards to drift back forward so we end up kicking sideways / backwards or handballing in circles until we turn it over.

A long bomb to an open F50 with Stringer in a one on one? I'd take our chances on that.

Daniher being out may well bring a fair bit of that.

I've seen him being very unselfish. Looks to be really trying to play the role we want. Still a wait and see situation but he is hard to fault in comparison to most of the team at the moment.

I’d go back to giving him half of each quarter in the guts. It was never going to be an overnight success and think it shows Wooshas lack of conviction or dedication to the future to give up on it after a few bad results.
...or the need to give Joey more support while they experimented with how much of a pummeling his groins could bear.

I agree that we can see all the behaviors the Dogs fans wrote about but I wouldn't say Jake is selfish, the only selfish act was when he didn't handball to Guelfi but then again it could be argued that a forward should not be looking to handball.

I agree that we can see all the behaviors the Dogs fans wrote about but I wouldn't say Jake is selfish, the only selfish act was when he didn't handball to Guelfi but then again it could be argued that a forward should not be looking to handball.
He was running into an open goal and palmed it off to Joe, who missed. Not sure if that was last week or this week, but personally I would prefer him to take the shot himself. He's a better shot at 45º than Joe is from dead in front... just kick the goal son!

I think the biggest issue is Stringer's lack of influence in the air, as Bruno touched on. His hands have been better this year than in previous, but he doesn't really crash packs and create contests which is obviously an issue when we need a bailout option.
Aside from the Hawks game he has been reasonable since moving forward, but for it to work permanently he'll need to improve a few more areas of his game imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back