AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Animated GIF

Will play this weekend, but could be VFL
Forward Jake Stringer has been declared fit for selection after overcoming a hamstring injury.

Despite being deemed “medically available” by senior coach Brad Scott last week, the 28-year-old was held over for an extra week to further build fitness.

Now having checked every required box, GM of High Performance Daniel McPherson says Stringer will suit up for his first game of the season, with a return via the VFL or AFL yet to be decided.

“Jake’s progressed through all his training, he’s ticked off all he needs to do,” McPherson said.

“From a high-performance perspective, he’s good to go and will be available for selection this weekend.”

Would it be tempting to make stringer as our sub or is he just too important to our line up? Imagine him coming into a game fresh in the second half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I’d rather see him start and run him till he’s gassed and then bring someone in like Menzie, Caldwell or Hep for his flexibility

I think I’d rather see him start and run him till he’s gassed and then bring someone in like Menzie, Caldwell or Hep for his flexibility
I hope Menzie keeps his starting spot. His defensive efforts are too good to leave out.

His best season (2021) started with a gradual build-up through the VFL before a really good return against the Saints in Round 3.

Would love if we go this route again. I don't see the point of bringing him in straight away.

Not sure I buy into this whole "he needs to get super fit" stuff. For all we know Jakey could have a metabolism like Warney. A couple of durries and a lamb souva before play, and he might just kick 7 and get about 25 touches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back