AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Modified running program after foot surgery, re-joins main training in coming weeks

Have seen him at the gym at 530am before training. Last player i would of expected to see. Good sign if nothing else.
that’s good, hopefully he came straight from revs

Looked in decent(ish) shape in the training pics the club posted today too. 🤞
shut up and take my money GIF by Product Hunt

Are we all a bit too hard on this beautiful beast..?? I know I can be...
I just want to see Jake at or near his best in 2024...its contract year so lets hope he pulls out all stops.
I read in another thread people think Archie Perkins should be selected in our 23 before Jake...I mean - comon...!! As much as I like Archie he shouldn't be spoken about in the same sentence as Jake..IMO Jake still has more X factor of any player in our side - and strength and flair few other players in the competition can match - let alone Perkins...People seem to forget how good he was in 2021, and the fact that he has been club leading goal kicker 6 times, is a premiership player, all Australian and all round wrecking ball..
Please dont give up on Jake people - I implore you - please..!!

I just want to see Jake at or near his best in 2024...its contract year so lets hope he pulls out all stops.
I read in another thread people think Archie Perkins should be selected in our 23 before Jake...I mean - comon...!! As much as I like Archie he shouldn't be spoken about in the same sentence as Jake..IMO Jake still has more X factor of any player in our side - and strength and flair few other players in the competition can match - let alone Perkins...People seem to forget how good he was in 2021, and the fact that he has been club leading goal kicker 6 times, is a premiership player, all Australian and all round wrecking ball..
Do not visit the trade-draft thread, for your own good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs to give up the 3 piece feeds. Until then we give up on him.

$10 says he plays less than 15 games this year.

It'll take him 2 or 3 games to hit any form after each return from injury.

But he'll play some outstanding football at the end of the season, just in time to get another contract.
i’ll take that!

if he plays 15 games (including finals - lol!!) you are me a tenner

I don’t think anyone doubts his ability. At his best he reaches a level that only a handful of others in the league could match. He had a poor year last year even for his inconsistent standards.

The question is can he reach that high level again and how are they going to manage him? It seems like they are taking the cotton wool approach.

I'm thinking we won't see his peak form again but we will get a better version than we saw last year where he basically had no preseason and came into the preseason being unable to run for a sustained period of time due to concussion issues.
To me the best use of Jake is getting a 2 goal a game medium forward. We've got a lot more options through the midfield now, we really don't need him there except for the odd cameo given our developing youngsters.

Jake is getting on in age and given how injury prone he's becoming its unlikely we'll see too much upside because whenever he's on a roll he'll end up doing a soft tissue injury or similar and he always gets exposed on return from injury. That said I think he could still be a handy contributor.

In terms of his contract - I'd be looking at one year deals going forward and if he's not happy with that then I'd be willing to part ways. That said if he really performs above expectation then a 2 year deal is still within the realms of consideration.

I'm thinking we won't see his peak form again but we will get a better version than we saw last year where he basically had no preseason and came into the preseason being unable to run for a sustained period of time due to concussion issues.
To me the best use of Jake is getting a 2 goal a game medium forward. We've got a lot more options through the midfield now, we really don't need him there except for the odd cameo given our developing youngsters.

Jake is getting on in age and given how injury prone he's becoming its unlikely we'll see too much upside because whenever he's on a roll he'll end up doing a soft tissue injury or similar and he always gets exposed on return from injury. That said I think he could still be a handy contributor.

In terms of his contract - I'd be looking at one year deals going forward and if he's not happy with that then I'd be willing to part ways. That said if he really performs above expectation then a 2 year deal is still within the realms of consideration.

Stringer being in a contract year, every year, might be the best way to keep him at his best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back