AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know what to think of Stringer, happy we landed him because we set out to get the SSS and we did but individually hmm... Jake oozes talent and has been compared to Gary Ablett Senior but I fear he is a class A * up and a liability.. The beauty of this trade we only gave two second rounders in a weak draft so if he does bust we didn't lose much for it... Risk vs reward, we took the risk of recruiting Jake atleast we done it cheaply because we are getting 2017 Jake not 2015...

Class A **** up who still was leading goalkicker at the Dogs this year.
24 goals isn't it, nothing to crow about.. That would be our 5th best goal kicker from last year's behind Daniher, Hooker, orazio, tippa. An Stewart kick 22 while only playing 16 games so let's not put the carriage in front of the horse. Let's hope that he realises he isn't invincible an can be traded ect and the dogs gave him the kick in the ass for us, if not it will be a shame to lose his talent from AFL.

He’s an amazing player when he’s on, a bull. He can conjure goals out of his arse.

I fear you’ll get his best years but like Ablett Snr, Fev , George Best etc he’s one of those borderline genius/insanity types. He’s lazy as all * and spends a lot of time grimacing on the interchange. But a special special talent. You’re lucky.

I am pretty optimistic about Stringer. What happened should have shown him how tenous his AFL time is and that he needs to make the most of it. Woosha reckons he has brought into the Essendon 'values' (although hard to tell over coffee I guess). He also has a significant challenge to get his teeth into viz. having an impact as a big bodied mid when his turn comes - this will add variety to his training.

Don't know what to think of Stringer, happy we landed him because we set out to get the SSS and we did but individually hmm... Jake oozes talent and has been compared to Gary Ablett Senior but I fear he is a class A **** up and a liability.. The beauty of this trade we only gave two second rounders in a weak draft so if he does bust we didn't lose much for it... Risk vs reward, we took the risk of recruiting Jake atleast we done it cheaply because we are getting 2017 Jake not 2015...
Ablett got moved on from the Hawkes and went ok at the Cats :).

Could be the perfect move for Jake. Knows what it takes and now just needs to get in a groove in a fresh new environment.

Either way we didn't sell the farm to get him so the possible upside to this deal is huge for Essendon.

I'm probably blinded by his extreme x-factor - I bloody love him.
Still cannot believe we've traded him.
I guarantee you he will be the most popular player on your list within 2 years.
Absolute f##king star.

How do you think your fanbase will react to him?
Seems like a lot on here still love him and it was the club that made the move first. Rekon most will have a soft spot for him or a bit of anger towards him?

He’s an amazing player when he’s on, a bull. He can conjure goals out of his arse.

I fear you’ll get his best years but like Ablett Snr, Fev , George Best etc he’s one of those borderline genius/insanity types. He’s lazy as all **** and spends a lot of time grimacing on the interchange. But a special special talent. You’re lucky.
Upside is he is only 23 and immature, in a year or so hopefully he can screw his head on straight.

It was only a few years ago that Dusty couldn't generate any interest from other clubs and went back to Richmond with his tale between his legs.

With the right support mechanisms, and strong leadership within the club, there is no reason why we cannot see the best of Jake Stringer in red and black.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was only a few years ago that Dusty couldn't generate any interest from other clubs and went back to Richmond with his tale between his legs.

With the right support mechanisms, and strong leadership within the club, there is no reason why we cannot see the best of Jake Stringer in red and black.

Dusty didn't generate interest because the clubs he spoke to knew immediately that his heart was at Richmond. I don't think he had any poor years, and he definitely hasn't had any public falls from grace that vaguely resembles what Stringer's done.

For me, par for the trade would be getting 70 decent games out of him. Anything more is a bonus.

Seems like a lot on here still love him and it was the club that made the move first. Rekon most will have a soft spot for him or a bit of anger towards him?
Our supporters booed him in 2017, months after he played in a premiership. They won't let the fact we pushed him out get in the way, haha.

I'll remember Jake the player fondly, to have someone so explosive around the sticks when you play a chaotic style of footy with lots of forward fifty entries is a lot of fun. You'll enjoy him.

It'll hurt me to see him fulfill his potential in your jumper, but I hope he gets his life together for his family.

I hold no personal hatred towards him but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in him not reaching his potential. I hope the change of environment gives him the opportunity to right his wrongs and really be the best version of himself that he can be.

He was never going to reach that potential at the Dogs.

Our supporters booed him in 2017, months after he played in a premiership. They won't let the fact we pushed him out get in the way, haha.

I'll remember Jake the player fondly, to have someone so explosive around the sticks when you play a chaotic style of footy with lots of forward fifty entries is a lot of fun. You'll enjoy him.

It'll hurt me to see him fulfill his potential in your jumper, but I hope he gets his life together for his family.
I hold no personal hatred towards him but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in him not reaching his potential. I hope the change of environment gives him the opportunity to right his wrongs and really be the best version of himself that he can be.

He was never going to reach that potential at the Dogs.

Thanks guys. Goodluck for next year.

There will be those that boo him as per usual but deep down every, and I mean every Bulldogs supporter loved him.
He's just that freak that you love having in your team. Yea, he's probably not consistent but he only needs 2 or 3 looks at it a game and he's got you hugging strangers in the crowd. His best attribute is the don't argue - you think Dusty is good at it - wait till Jake starts doing it for you guys...
He is Ablettesque in every way

There will be those that boo him as per usual but deep down every, and I mean every Bulldogs supporter loved him.
He's just that freak that you love having in your team. Yea, he's probably not consistent but he only needs 2 or 3 looks at it a game and he's got you hugging strangers in the crowd. His best attribute is the don't argue - you think Dusty is good at it - wait till Jake starts doing it for you guys...
He is Ablettesque in every way
I'm trying desperately to temper my expectations and this didn't help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back