AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to argue with pretty much everything in this article.

"Couple the way he is playing with the pre-season peroxided blond hair cut, the fact that he forgot his match-day pass in round one and felt the need share the experience on social media pre-game. Consider the difference between what he says about wanting to spend more time in the midfield and the lack of transformation in his body shape to allowing that.

It all speaks of a player who is desperate for attention (as teenagers often are), but is currently unwilling to put in the work, and sacrifice enough of the “present” to earn positive attention from productive on-field actions."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/stringer-theory-he-needs-to-grow-up-20180514-p4zf5i.html

"Couple the way he is playing with the pre-season peroxided blond hair cut, the fact that he forgot his match-day pass in round one and felt the need share the experience on social media pre-game. Consider the difference between what he says about wanting to spend more time in the midfield and the lack of transformation in his body shape to allowing that.

It all speaks of a player who is desperate for attention (as teenagers often are), but is currently unwilling to put in the work, and sacrifice enough of the “present” to earn positive attention from productive on-field actions."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/stringer-theory-he-needs-to-grow-up-20180514-p4zf5i.html

Copy of the paper has a photo of Jake waist up, really shows up tyre around it. He’s put on some weight since he first appeared pre season training in November.

The online picture is him with peroxides hair, which must be pre season.

No, actual paper has photo with current hairstyle and looks to be this week (cold with two jumpers). Has some pretty handy handles

No, actual paper has photo with current hairstyle and looks to be this week (cold with two jumpers). Has some pretty handy handles
The what?

But seriously, can you take a photo of it and post it?

Probably true, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s also used to having a minder (or a gf?) that would look after those sorts of things and he’s now trying to figure out how to keep his own kit bag organised without someone to do it for him.

there is an awful lot of bullshit to wade through to get to anything of substance in that article.

I’ve been thinking for a while that because of our lack of big inside onballers and that fact that the club this preaseason were trying to make our team a more contested team, that the club has bulked up a bunch of players who have seemed to have lost pace due to the added weight. Not sure if stringer gained weight due to being undisciplined but if it was due to the club wanting him to be an inside mid, he definitely seems to have lost a yard or two and I think the same could be said for heppell, Langford, Zaharakis, Saad (who doesn’t look as quick as he used to be at gc), Francis and laverde.

I thought the Judd article on Stringer was just BS, Joel Selwood once forgot his pass, yet where was the article saying he needed to grow up, and highlighting Stringer wanting the ball and carrying on if not given it, geez has there ever been a forward that doesn't demand every kick go to him and I don't see Stringer as being fat, sure he doesn't have Hepp's impressive six pack.

I thought the Judd article on Stringer was just BS, Joel Selwood once forgot his pass, yet where was the article saying he needed to grow up, and highlighting Stringer wanting the ball and carrying on if not given it, geez has there ever been a forward that doesn't demand every kick go to him and I don't see Stringer as being fat, sure he doesn't have Hepp's impressive six pack.

I think people in the media need to back off a little everyone knew Jake was coming from a longway back the club would be behind him 100% to help him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer was lazy as hell on the weekend and that's not good enough. It's why I advocated he be dropped this week.

However, of all things to criticise him for, forgetting his ground pass for a game? Who gives a *. Another one for the outrage bus.

I don't think Jake's body shape is on Jake. My feel on this is that Essendon were so desperate to make him into an inside mid that they bulked him up and now he can't run.

If you look at the following video look how slim, powerful and quick Jakey is...this is how he should be shaped...gee that video gets me excited!

I don't think Jake's body shape is on Jake. My feel on this is that Essendon were so desperate to make him into an inside mid that they bulked him up and now he can't run.
if someone instructed him to eat so many calories that he got fat (for an elite athlete), even though he is training at an AFL level, we have someone else to fire.

If you look at the following video look how slim, powerful and quick Jakey is...this is how he should be shaped...gee that video gets me excited!

Yep. Get him fit and angry. Drop 5kg with a solid cardio plan. Rest if required to achieve this and then unleash!

God damn seeing that video made me remember why and how much I loved 2015/early 2016 Jake Stringer. He was an absolute freak. Supporters would light up whenever he would get the ball. I remember truly believing at the his fend off was as good as Dusty with the explosiveness to match. I'm not going to enter the conversation on why it's happened but watching him last weekend vs Carlton and against the dogs earlier this year it really has become apparent that he really isn't the player he used to be. If he or the bomber don't fix the issue this year or next however I feel like he'll struggle to ever recapture that amazing form and he'll just remain another C-B class player. Good enough for a spot most weeks but out of the conversation when people talk about game winning players.

Apparently got scans, can now be "rested"

The response from Crow about the scans is some grade A spin.

Dynamic forward Jake Stringer was sent for a scan on Tuesday, but Crow said it was largely precautionary as the medical team continues to gain an understanding of the former Bulldog.

“Jake has a little bit of back stiffness out of the game (against the Blues).

“(There is) nothing we’re particularly concerned by, we just want to get a really good idea of what’s going on in there like we would with all of our players as we learn more and more about Jake and his body.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back