AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

yes, yes, yes.

This is the one I really wanted in the trade period. Bargain at 2 second rounders. He is an elite talent and only 23 years old. Best is in front of him and even with some baggage should be able to overcome it.

Amazing get. Can't believe he fell in our lap. Farking stoked.

giphy.gif

We were never going to win this trade. Could have got pick 1 for him and I’d still be annoyed.

Heard rumours but honestly don’t know what caused the breakdown in relationship between Jake and club and what caused it to happen so quickly.

If you can fix him you very well could be looking at your own version of Dustin Martin. If you play next year like you did this year with that fast, corridor footy then Jake will have a season highlight reel about half an hour long.

Enjoy him. Enjoy BT commentating him and Fantasia in the same forward line. It’s gonna hurt watching him in another jersey, but I hope for him he sorts his issues out and settles down.

We were never going to win this trade. Could have got pick 1 for him and I’d still be annoyed.

Heard rumours but honestly don’t know what caused the breakdown in relationship between Jake and club and what caused it to happen so quickly.

If you can fix him you very well could be looking at your own version of Dustin Martin. If you play next year like you did this year with that fast, corridor footy then Jake will have a season highlight reel about half an hour long.

Enjoy him. Enjoy BT commentating him and Fantasia in the same forward line. It’s gonna hurt watching him in another jersey, but I hope for him he sorts his issues out and settles down.
I think most of us know how you feel, especially losing Ryder. There were a few rumors on him around some simular to Jakes) it too was another trade we were going to lose. Connors played everyone there too, lots of us were pissed off at Ryder and Connors too, but end of the day Paddy in that case, Jake in this was where his alliance lays.

You guys got a bit of a win our of Scnache in the end too Hopefully he can develop a lot for you guys as well

We haven't had a genuine matchwinner on our list since Hird retired (JD is building up to it, not far off).

Stringer can be that guy for us. It's the most relevant and exciting we have been for a long, long time.
After Anzac Day, Joe is most definitely that guy already imo. But you're right, he's just building into the consistent matchwinner he should become.

I’ll also say one more thing. Prepare to hear him called Jesse Stringer by commentators for some reason. We’ve also just retired a guy called ‘Brad Boyd’ and ‘Marcus Picken’ hasn’t got long left either.
We'll just make sure we have Stewart call Luke Darcey Moons again lol

Stringer has never been a big ball winner with his highest tally being 21 touches but he isn't the type that needs a large amount it have an impact. Just 2 or 3 bursts a quarter usually creates something he is just that type of player when the ball is in his area he makes an impact.

Just like most of our forwards you know something will happen when he is around the ball, can be breaking a tackle with a don't argue and running away to set up a goal can also lay a big tackle if someone's is in his way.

He isn't a big contested marker and does his best running and jumping at the ball on a lead, has played as a key tall for most of his time at the dogs but he will flourish for us as that 3rd or 4th option and he can easily play smaller with his speed and craft at ground level which allows us to play Fanta and Tippa up the ground more aswell.

I don't think he is the midfield answer but if he can work on that side of the game and really lift his fitness up then damn he will go a long way for us challenging for a premiership next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What caused that booing, sounds like a replacement for Stanton (tongue in cheek) since he copped booing from his own supporters.
Dogs fans have always been funny about our more enigmatic players. Even in Stringer's AA year he'd be missing for stretches and it was held against him.

I hated it because blokes like Stringer - brash, strong, obnoxiously talented - would normally be suiting up for the likes of West Coast, or well, Essendon. We had one of our own at last, and we kicked him whenever we could.

I think people still loved coming to watch him, though. Even on his worst days he'd bob up in a big moment, and there was fun in that anticipation alone.

Drives me crazy the comparisons between Stringer and Martin - Martin has been good from year one and got better every year

The comparisons are due to capabilities not mirrored career trajectories.

The comparisons are due to capabilities not mirrored career trajectories.

Nah - Martin can regularly show his capabilities and has continually grown year on year, while Stringer's performances have been more spasmodic - Reading posts some seem to think Martin has only been good for three years.

To be honest, he could be better than Lever who garnered two first rounders plus change. If you hadn't of publicly named and shamed him, you may have recieved somewhat of a bidding war but that was thrown out as soon as Bevo publicly shamed him (pre trade week).

Thanks for the kind words though, looking forward to what dynamic Jake Stringer brings to our football club. Seems the early murmurings are of him spending more time in the midfield.

As far as midfield goes I see him pushing up from half forward to help the midfield and on the odd occassion going on for a centre bounce.

Him pushing up from half forward to provide a big body and attacking run from a stoppage means Myers and Heppell can take a more defensive approach to the set up and where to go once the clearance occurs.

Assisting the midfield does not necrsarily mean playing on the ball. It just means ensuring our ball movement through the middle is as good as possible and we * the oppositions as much as possible.

The additions to our side become very exciting if Laverde, Langford and Francis all have massive preseasons and fullfil their promise next season. The first two need to be genuine mid contributors. If Hooker goes back and Hurley runs with running KPFs then Francis becoming a gun 3rd tall and intercept player is huge.

I think you'd expect there to be some kind of focus on incremental improvement in terms of qualities that will lead to a premiership or multiple premierships, so the focus would be on the love for the game and a plan to develop a system that gets the best out of the players and Jake.

Everyone wants Stringer to play to his best and to enjoy his footy and for the most part he's done very well at the Bulldogs.

A lot of players have struggled at the Bulldogs since 2016, maybe the premiership hangover, but you have to hand it to Jake, he stepped up in quite a few games this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back