Past 3. Marc Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

I think what that means, in all honesty, is nobody will give him a big deal. Hence any return to us would be minor and so better to retain him.
... or alternatively that Marc has never sought to leave, and that he doesn't particularly want to now.

I really don't understand why we're so insistent to trade him or get him out of the club, either. He's still got it sufficiently as a player, provided we no longer need him to play inside to the extent we have in the past, to play a role at AFL level and some; if we shopped him around or lowballed him to the extent that he actively sought to leave, would it really be for the betterment of the club?

I don't see how it gets in sufficient value to mitigate the damage leaving would do, and that's if we assess his onfield contributions only. If we take in the role model he's becoming for the kids, the advice he provides - as is detailed, at length, in club releases - and the fact that he's bloody earnt being counted as a Blue right up until he leaves, surely that makes an already strong case to offer him a fair contract an impossible one to overcome.

I hope he stays and finishes his career as a blue.

Next year captaincy to Cripps and/or Doc. Let him play as an outside distributor with stints up forward.

We don’t need him getting smashed on the inside anymore; Cripps, Kennedy, Ed, Dow and Jack are all decent sized bodies and then we’ve also got the likes of Cuningham, Lang, Samo, Fish and O’Brien who can jump in when needed.

McVeigh has been great for the swans this year and I’d like to see Murph be used in a similar manner (just more wing/hff rather than hbf)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I, for one, would welcome his departure for the right price.
But what is a "fair price"?
He will be 32 next year and I think teams will be reluctant to give him a lengthy contract. I see us getting the same compensation we got for Jarrad Waite, possibly a third round pick if we are lucky.
I cannot see one advantage to losing him, no positive to it at all. He adds experience and class to a team that lacks quality senior players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone calling for Murphy to play an outside role obviously hasn't seen him kick the ball in the last several seasons.

…. look at him under pressure .. or not … there is a massive difference in his delivery skill SOAP

…. look at him under pressure .. or not … there is a massive difference in his delivery skill SOAP
I think his delivery of the ball is average at best, often landing short of a leading forward (exactly how Simmo usually kicks the ball these days).

He is often prone to producing Kerridge-like clangers when switching into the middle of the ground (certainly doesn't run as hard as Kerridge to blame the fatigue factor, either).

I don't think Murph is a damaging kick at all, has got by on reputation for a very long time.

I think his delivery of the ball is average at best, often landing short of a leading forward (exactly how Simmo usually kicks the ball these days).

He is often prone to producing Kerridge-like clangers when switching into the middle of the ground (certainly doesn't run as hard as Kerridge to blame the fatigue factor, either).

I don't think Murph is a damaging kick at all, has got by on reputation for a very long time.

That's why I want him to finish at CFC …. Wing/HHF. It was the role he always should have played.

What if he's hit the brick wall?
Get what we can I say, if that's the case.
What have you to prove that assertion, though?

Have his foot injuries been due to overworking him, or rushing him back? What evidence have you to say that it was all due to his old age rather than the strain we've placed on him, playing the sole remaining knight from rattens era

I really do not know why you would think he was done, the season after he just won the best and fairest.

Just plonk him at wing half forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everyone calling for Murphy to play an outside role obviously hasn't seen him kick the ball in the last several seasons.
That's fair, insofar as he hasn't played outside since 2013.

From that point, we've had to use him inside; Malthouse used him as in/out, with emphasis to the in side of it, after Ratts refused to recruit/draft anyone other than McClean to play inside.

I say precisely what I've said before; he hasn't played outside over the last 4-5 years. You cannot judge his disposal on that time; that's him being a bird trying to swim.

Let's see him try to fly before we say he can't.

No point in Marc M leaving. I think all clubs know his limitations so wont try that hard to get him. Def not offer him big money or long term.

I'm already looking for other players in all of the spots he can play.

Marc M is transitioning to depth before retirement

No point in Marc M leaving. I think all clubs know his limitations so wont try that hard to get him. Def not offer him big money or long term.

I'm already looking for other players in all of the spots he can play.

Marc M is transitioning to depth before retirement
Initially liked your post, but I'm not so sure about it now.

I'm all for decreasing his wage, to bring it into line with what he's worth to us, but for him to have a ridiculously low wage would be absurd. Also, to describe him as mere depth is also offensive to the player he still is; at what point do you think he is no longer first 22, let alone not inside our top 5 players?

It'd be terrific if, over the course of the next 6-12 months, we had multiple players go past him, but we cannot plan for pipe dreams. We must realise that it's taken until this season for numerous Melbourne players to surpass Nathan Jones; that is a good 5 years into their rebuild, and despite how honest a player he has been he has not reached the heights Murph has at times.

For me at least, do what it takes to keep him around until it is genuinely the end for him, as he's going to be no worse then the free agent that takes his place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back