3 reasons why we'll rebound in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

That's an interesting observation. I think it has some merit but I'd rather, if he's still at the club, throw in the forgotten solider back in there - Caddy. Caddy plays the hybrid tall midfielder role well and would offer is another marking target but wouldn't become an immediate liability when the ball comes to ground and is contested. Additionally, Caddy is a strong body who finds spaces in congestion and makes clever decisions under pressure.

Failing that, a mid sized midfielder such as RCD, Ross or Miller could fill that role along side Jack and Lynch as talls, Castagna, Stack and Aarts/Rioli Jnr acting as smalls.
Yes Caddy may work, but I reckon his papers are stamped. Reckon Cumberland will force his way into the side early next year. Not afraid to go for his marks and very good once the ball hits the deck. Reckon he will really surprise, has all the attributes.

Yes Caddy may work, but I reckon his papers are stamped. Reckon Cumberland will force his way into the side early next year. Not afraid to go for his marks and very good once the ball hits the deck. Reckon he will really surprise, has all the attributes.

Yes I forgot about Cumberland and Raithsmith showed plenty of form as a midsized forward in the latter part of the year too.

We won premierships based on extremely astute recruiting and player development that was tailored to the existing rules. We all know we developed an incredible backline system, and produced our own scores mainly by creating turnovers through pressure, particularly as teams brought the ball from their back half through the middle of the ground, or during the possession that followed them winning a clearance.

But after watching the two prelims, I think we're miles off it. Our old systems don't work (although of course there's still a role for manic pressure), and our new 'systems' don't either. Some of best players were really tailored to the old systems. Vlaustin has been an outstanding reader of the football and decision maker, with elite intercept skills, and has defended big and small, relying on nous rather than pure athleticism. But he is significantly less well suited to the new rules IMO, or at least he can't do what he used to when our midfield is getting consistently smashed. At the other end, guys like Castagna and Rioli have been crucial parts of our gameplan, but just don't add as much value under the new rule-set.

Clearances have never been our strength, and they're now more important than ever, as is having A-graders packed between the 2 arcs. Compared to the Dogs, Melbourne, Port, and even Geelong, we have a lot of C-graders running between the arcs, with quite a few who would struggle to get picked in many sides in the top 8. Our midfield and centreline is IMO nowhere near one of the best 8 in the competition.

So to me, the first thing the club needs to do is realistically appraise where it's at, rather than write off 2020 as an anomaly.

Having said all of that, Dusty is obviously a generational talent, and there are many individual pieces who are still incredibly hard to come by, such as key backs like Balta and Grimes, key forwards like Jack and Lynch, and guys who at their best are true A-graders, like Prestia, Bolton, Short and Edwards, with guys like Baker and Lambert not far behind.

If we are to have one more crack we need to implement a lot of things incredibly quickly and basically play a different brand of football to that which won us three flags, all in the space of one off-season.

We need to do a lot: find an elite team of assistant coaches; choose well in the draft; be aggressive at the trade table. Topping up like Geelong have done is fraught. We showed a better way when we brought in Prestia in his prime. YOu can't get something for nothing, though. We should consider trading quality youth, like Chol, to bring quality players, in their prime, to bolster our midfield stocks.

I feel like if we don't get this right, we could go backwards fast. Get it right, and have a bit of luck, and we could be knocking on the door of the top 4. I think Dimma's mindset and ability to appraise where we're at will have a fair bit to do with the outcome.

Our midfield needs more grunt, I don't think any one can argue with that but in terms of our talent level and skills, I do not believe 'we're miles off it' as some may suggest.

The defensive strategy that teams such as Melbourne and Bulldogs are employing this year, is the old fashioned flood. They are dropping back almost their whole midfield into their D50 when the opposition reaches the center square or beyond. So instead of turning the ball over through the corridor, they are doing it deep in their backline and springboarding from there.

For us, perhaps we can use a bit of this strategy but I still think we just need to tweak our zone through the corridor. We struggled to stop teams ball movement through the middle due to the new rule. Pressuring the ball carrier when they swing around the mark and play on is crucial to blunting this tactic. It means playing an extra man just off to the inside of the player but this would force their kicks high and stop spear passes into our backline too.

Combine both tactics and we regain our turnover/pressure game and top 4 here we come!

Last edited:
If we're to challenge for a flag in 2022 and 2023:

We need our starting midfield in 2022 to be Nank, RCD, Bolton and Prestia. Second string needs to be CCJ, Dusty, Graham, Baker.

No room in there anymore for Cotch, Shedda, Ross, Lambo, Pickett. Most too old, Ross not good enough.

I really worry for Cotch and Shedda. Might end up fighting for a spot on the half-forward line. Sad way to finish great careers.

If we're to challenge for a flag in 2022 and 2023:

We need our starting midfield in 2022 to be Nank, RCD, Bolton and Prestia. Second string needs to be CCJ, Dusty, Graham, Baker.

No room in there anymore for Cotch, Shedda, Ross, Lambo, Pickett. Most too old, Ross not good enough.

I really worry for Cotch and Shedda. Might end up fighting for a spot on the half-forward line. Sad way to finish great careers.

I actually think I'd prefer a starting midfield of Nank/Soldo, Prestia, Edwards/Cotch and Bolton/Dusty.

Nank rotating with Soldo (center, forward, bench).

Prestia needs to run out a game for us to really be in contention. He is a two way runner so only needs time on the bench. If he's injured, RCD would take his spot.

Edwards/Cotch are still a class above. Edwards is still the player the coaches trust to win the crucial clearance when we need it. Cotchin, is slowing down but he makes a massive difference as a defensive midfielder. I would have Edwards in the center and have him rotate with Cotch in the forwardline where both can be creative and win the ball at ground level.

Bolton/Dusty are our X-Factor is the middle and forward. If we are flying, Dusty should be spending most of his time forward but last season we needed him in the middle of the ground to fill holes.

That's just my thoughts but I don't think you can write off proven stars too early. Share the load, rest and rotate them but don't put them to pasture yet.

I actually think I'd prefer a starting midfield of Nank/Soldo, Prestia, Edwards/Cotch and Bolton/Dusty.

Nank rotating with Soldo (center, forward, bench).

Prestia needs to run out a game for us to really be in contention. He is a two way runner so only needs time on the bench. If he's injured, RCD would take his spot.

Edwards/Cotch are still a class above. Edwards is still the player the coaches trust to win the crucial clearance when we need it. Cotchin, is slowing down but he makes a massive difference as a defensive midfielder. I would have Edwards in the center and have him rotate with Cotch in the forwardline where both can be creative and win the ball at ground level.

Bolton/Dusty are our X-Factor is the middle and forward. If we are flying, Dusty should be spending most of his time forward but last season we needed him in the middle of the ground to fill holes.

That's just my thoughts but I don't think you can write off proven stars too early. Share the load, rest and rotate them but don't put them to pasture yet.

Fair call. I'm pretty concerned about Cotch and Edwards going on one year too long, but agree that this would have been our best midfield in 2021 if all players were fully fit.

Fair call. I'm pretty concerned about Cotch and Edwards going on one year too long, but agree that this would have been our best midfield in 2021 if all players were fully fit.
No need to worry about Edwards, he was just banged up this year, has plenty left in him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You really want your damaging match winners to be in the prime of their careers to have a shot at a flag imo. Say 25-30 ideally. Let's not be like some other highly successful clubs and hold out for too long and not see the signs. Fact is that our big names aren't in their prime. I might just be biased after having a peruse at melbourne and bulldogs lists but i'm starting to think a mini rebuild is the way to go. As in hit the draft hard this year and next (and maybe even the one after) and give the over 30s slightly altered roles where they are more about supporting younger players rather than winning off their own shoulders. A little quickie. Fact is we've had a dream half decade and are in a position to do a fairly quick rebuild.

Tricky thing is that with all the injuries we won't really know whether we are over the hill until well into next season. I wonder what call the club will make.

You really want your damaging match winners to be in the prime of their careers to have a shot at a flag imo. Say 25-30 ideally. Let's not be like some other highly successful clubs and hold out for too long and not see the signs. Fact is that our big names aren't in their prime. I might just be biased after having a peruse at melbourne and bulldogs lists but i'm starting to think a mini rebuild is the way to go. As in hit the draft hard this year and next (and maybe even the one after) and give the over 30s slightly altered roles where they are more about supporting younger players rather than winning off their own shoulders. A little quickie. Fact is we've had a dream half decade and are in a position to do a fairly quick rebuild.

Tricky thing is that with all the injuries we won't really know whether we are over the hill until well into next season. I wonder what call the club will make.
I think the club has already made the call that we'll head to the draft.

Everyone has to remember that the list managers and recruiters are all over our list structure and succession plans have been in place for quite a while. Matt Clarke alluded to this in his last interview when he spoke about looking at how Hawthorn and Geelong have managed their list after a protracted time at the top and taking lessons from what they have done and what they haven't done.

Our list is so much healthier than both those teams.

News today is that Chol is gone to GC for a 3rd rounder, and CCJ to North for not much, probably a second rounder at best.

With Jack on his last legs and Lynch not looking like a world-beater, these are very big losses, especially CCJ.

Alright, there's been a lot of negativity around our flatlining season, but here's just 3 simple reasons why I feel we can rebound strongly next year:

1. A fit list. This first one is obvious. We're missing way too many games from our experienced upper end players currently. We can lament how all the youth aren't up to it, but at the moment they're being expected to carry too much of the load, rather than being added into the mix gradually with good support around them. I think we'll miss the 8 from here, which adds an extra month to our of season to get our list healthy and reinvigorated.

2. Injection of talent. We have a strong draft hand, and a lower finish has the silver lining of improving that position. Whether we land a good trade target, or go all in on the draft, we should have some fresh new talent to add to our best 22 for 2022. Add to this some game time into our younger crew across the remainder of this year, and I think the short term pain will definitely be for the long term gain.

3. Soft cap increase. This one gets somewhat overlooked. We hear a bit about how tough clubs are doing with the cuts to soft cap. I think it was a Chris Fagan interview outlining some of the things within the club that you just wouldn't consider. Not enough staff to track GPS numbers at training. Assistant coaches having to play the role of sports scientist. Etc. PLUS we had an extra $100k cut compared to everyone else. That's equivalent to one additional role lost within the club. I believe we let go of a lot of coaching staff and prioritiesed recruiting staff. If this pays off with our draft hand, and we can add significantly to our coaching panel with an increased soft cap for 2022, I think this will have a really significant impact.

So that's just 3 simple reasons. Whether that means top 4 & challenge for flags again, who knows - it's a strong, even competition and premierships are hard to win. But I do think we'll rebound strongly next year with a few things going our way, and should be a competitive, finals winning team once again.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
You can only come up with three reasons Damo? Seriously chief you going to have to raise the bar lol

had a Doggies support ask if we were F K'd for next year with CCJ & Chol going
I responded , not in top 22 , Soldo on the path back and would be better ruck support/backup than Chol or CCJ
plus have maybes in Ryan and Mate

I dont think he liked the response , he wanted me to break down and cry LOL

We'll be back

Could be added pressure on young Sampson to progress faster than he anticipated after Mabs and CCJ's exits
I think the club let CJ and Chol go based on good news about soldos fitness and availability for next year. It'll be interesting to see if we go for Talia and 2 KPPs in the draft.
We need one midfielder from the draft to be ready to play. Day 1 2022.
Ryan can play. Just had a shocker on debut. Wet night, and got injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back