Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the * did he play vfl today?
If he's fit enough to play he should have been playing last night with Larkey out.
And when Larkey is back, play him anyway. Forward, back, wherever. Just get him in the team and leave him there. He cannot do any worse than Walker. And if he does I'd rather him play anyway. He should have played as a key back last week when we were missing corr and McKay. I don't care if he's a natural forward, I'm sure he would rather play afl in any position than vfl. He could have learnt a lot playing on McKay or even Curnow.

Comben in for goldy

CCJ the main ruck
Our mids will struggle with a change like this. Having CCJ or Xerri in without Goldy might work in the long term but not right now..With Ben out l am all for putting Walker back and bringing in Comben to play forward...

Why the fu** did he play vfl today?
If he's fit enough to play he should have been playing last night with Larkey out.
And when Larkey is back, play him anyway. Forward, back, wherever. Just get him in the team and leave him there. He cannot do any worse than Walker. And if he does I'd rather him play anyway. He should have played as a key back last week when we were missing corr and McKay. I don't care if he's a natural forward, I'm sure he would rather play afl in any position than vfl. He could have learnt a lot playing on McKay or even Curnow.
....because he didn't play last week? I really don't get what's so hard to understand - he's a fragile commodity over a long period of time and the coaching staff want to see some durability before he gets promoted. Assuming he pulls up okay, he was the one player yesterday who put his hand up for selection

Last edited:
Why the fu** did he play vfl today?
Playing him injured last week would have been a ripping idea.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

The fact is we are not an AFL football team at present.

Any talk of Comben not being ready, or such, is a moot point when considering Noble plays older plays etc that gets us pumped by 80 points most weeks.

This needs to end, the future needs to play as it can’t be any worse.

Same goes with Powell.
Yeah, this. We got spanked by a team this week that was younger than us ffs

Unless this guy is made of crepe paper I really don’t get the whole playing games in the VFL when there is a genuine spot there for grabs.

I look forward to the club telling us he needs another 5 week block in the VFL only for him to get a knock in the 5th week and start the block all over again.

He can’t have been too bad if he could play 4 quarters of VFL footy? People on here have some perception that he will be protected playing at VFL level. The truth is if he is going to breakdown it won’t make a difference what level he is playing at, so get him in!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... which is fine, given he's hardly setting the world on fire there.
The VFL side is an absolute bowl of hot vomit through the middle which impacts on his opportunity. Still took seven marks and had five shots at goal.

He’s clearly the best KPF to partner alongside Larkey.

Instead, Josh ******* Walker is put down there and absolutely stunk up the joint.

Re

These sound like the same BS excuses that used to get floated when Larkey was left in the VFL under Scott.

Look at Amiss last night.

Freo has a younger and less experienced team last night by a bit.

Josh Walker at Full Forward is up there with some of the worst selections in the last 20 years and that's saying something.
Look at how Amiss was getting the ball delivered. We would have put it on top of Choms head so he could get pole-axed!

....because he didn't play last week? I really don't get what's so hard to understand - he's a fragile commodity over a long period of time and the coaching staff want to see some durability before he gets promoted. Assuming he pulls up okay, he was the one player yesterday who put his hand up for selection
But they didn't limit his TOG from what I hear. If he is fit to play then he should be playing AFL, I don't understand how you don't think that. What difference is it going to make to his fragility playing 1s or 2s? I'd actually argue that he is a higher chance of getting injured in the 2s.

Yeah, it really isn't that hard to understand as you say. But when the same people ask the same questions despite having the situation explained to them, then it looks a lot like they are going out of their way to remain willfully ignorant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back