Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

No inside goss on this but It seems to me that we've been extra cautious and not rushing.

We’ve been overcautious for quite some time - Garner spent a whole year in the rehab group.
Good to see Lmac back so quickly but still got Jed and Hayden out fit longer than expected

180621_charlie.jpg

Footballers want to be out on the ground playing the game with their mates, not stuck inside the gym rehabilitating injuries.

For Charlie Comben, the dream of running out in North Melbourne colours is one step closer to reality, with the young ruck/forward participating in main training for the first time since January on Thursday.

After suffering stress fractures to his back in his first season on North’s list, Comben’s 2021 was thrown into disarray following the diagnosis of a tibial stress fracture in his right leg.

He says he can’t wait to progress his training to the level where he can put his hand up to play games this season.

“I was stoked to get out there, it’s been a long time,” Comben told North Media.

“(It’s a) really enjoyable and exciting next few weeks. I moved really well and I feel really good in my body too, so it’s really exciting.

“We’re … looking at Round 18 or 19, hopefully 18 (for his return). I’ll move into full training next week or the week after so I’m definitely on track.

“I can’t wait to get out there.”

Comben has certainly not been alone in his long-term injury woes this season, with North’s rehab group forming a tight bond across the campaign.

He says every player who has been through the struggle of returning from a long-term injury can help each other.

“I’ve got a lot of good support in there like ‘L-Mac’ (Luke McDonald), ‘Corry’ (Aidan Corr), Flynn Perez, boys like that who’ve been there and been through it,” he said.

“[They were] great for me and great teachers in that sense.

“I’m itching to get out there. I put a lot of pressure on myself to get out there and perform so it’s been quite frustrating. I think it builds a lot of internal resilience.”

GM Football Brady Rawlings says while Comben has been back running for some time now, seeing him participating in main training is a big tick in his recovery from the injury.

“He's been in rehab for a long time since he’s been at the club. To see him out there mixing with the rest of the players is a really good sign,” Rawlings said.

“He’ll do a portion of main training and then move onto his personalised conditioning session.

“We’ll continue to elevate his loads each week pending him pulling up well.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Promising young key-position player Charlie Comben is also on the cusp of a long-awaited comeback, with the club revealing earlier this week that the 199cm teenager is around a month away from returning from a tibial stress fracture in his leg sustained in January."

Is a month off from playing VFL according to the VFL/Edwards article.
So Rounds 18/19 return.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back