Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg
Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering we have no elite disposal by foot in the side we'd be better off playing both. The more contested marking options the better. Having said that McCartin is still young and doesn't really impact the whole game so I can see why he would be dropped.

I’d argue he is more likely to impact games with Reid in the team taking the second defender.

Looking forward to the three of them playing up front.

The comps to N Riewoldt that were said after we drafted him look pretty good.

Very much reminds me of early Reid too, but Reid was compared to N Riewoldt in playstyle as well.

Well kicking is one of the few things that rarely improves in AFL. Not many players become better set shots once they are in the system for a few years compared to before they were drafted.
I think this kid may be different, already improved a lot in his kicking.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

I think this kid may be different, already improved a lot in his kicking.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

His field kicking is quite good which tells me his goal kicking problems are all in his head. That means in theory his goal kicking is improvable since it might not be a technique problem but more of a problem in his head.

His field kicking is quite good which tells me his goal kicking problems are all in his head. That means in theory his goal kicking is improvable since it might not be a technique problem but more of a problem in his head.

I'm not an expert whatsoever on the technique of goal-kicking, but when he runs in he seems to move the ball around a hell of a lot, it doesn't seem stable. I wonder if that is having an influence on his goal-kicking. Because I agree, his field-kicking is pretty sound from what I've seen but I don't have as much faith in his set-shots. I'm sure he'll find a way to figure it out over time though.

Last edited:
with Tom's 4 marks, one of which got the Swans mark of the week
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2018-07-06/mark-of-the-week-rd16-2018
perhaps the thread title should be now "have confidence, go for more marks"

Teams have often targeted a specific trait at the draft, often kicking, but sometimes leg speed or decision making but one thing I have sometimes wondered is what if a team targeted "contested marking" as their primary trait, and kept it up for 5 or more years. Would a team filled with at least half the team who are good to very good contested marks would it be of big benefit to the club?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't read the whole thread but I would actually take Tom over Paddy on current form. I know St Kilda are going bad but I fail to see many highlights in Paddys game.

Haven't read the whole thread but I would actually take Tom over Paddy on current form. I know St Kilda are going bad but I fail to see many highlights in Paddys game.
FWIW I like Tom, tracked him a bit pre draft and reckon he'll have a good career. Not a fan on the comparisons to his brother though, a whole lot of other things that should be considered.

The expectation being a #1 pick, playing in a bad side, having the ball bombed on his head and often being double or triple teamed by the time the ball gets to the contest for starters and when it isn't he's taking the best opposition's defender. Tom on the other hand is playing in a good side with generally good delivery inside 50 (?) and is a 2nd or 3rd tall.

Think and hope they'll both have good careers, their biggest similarity is that they're great field kicks.

F and often being double or triple teamed by the time the ball gets to the contest for starters and when it isn't he's taking the best opposition's defender. Tom on the other hand is playing in a good side with generally good delivery inside 50 (?) and is a 2nd or 3rd tall.

Think and hope they'll both have good careers, their biggest similarity is that they're great field kicks.

Agree about playing in a good side and playing as a 2nd/3rd tall, but you mustn't have seen any Swans games to think we generally have good delivery inside 50 :rolleyes:

I think Paddy will come good in time if he can get over the concussion issues and St Kilda can improve as a side. But by gee Tom looks a good kid. Already has a decent tank, solid hands, and lovely field kicking. Get that kicking in front of goal right and he could be a very fine player indeed. Certainly does remind me a lot in style to how Riewoldt played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back