Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg
Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:

The thing I loved about the McCartin attack on the footy (all injury aside).. was that without trying to bump etc, Tommy absolutely flattened the guy! and McCartin didn't budge
I remember hearing a few players say that TMac was the guy you Didn't want to face in the pre-season wrestling matches - Hes a strong bugger!

I really felt like McCartin hadn't done much wrong from the moment this happened, McAdam went down and it became apparent there was a high risk of a suspension. I suggested appealing from the moment the MRO finding was made.

But I don't take this as an indication the MRO is hopeless or corrupt. I think in lineball cases they (he) might be inclined to pass the buck to the Tribunal and err in favour of protecting the head etc.

Anyway, delighted Tom can play and I don't at all feel like he got off on a technicality as with some other appeals we have won over the years (the Barry Hall one comes to mind first but I think there may have been at least one other where I felt we were a bit lucky - maybe one with Buddy?).

You never want a player to end up with a broken cheekbone and that part of it is a shame but as suggested it was a footy action that was brought on be the random bounce of the pill.

Common sense here as I can’t think of a time that McCartin has done anything untoward on the field and just seems a pure footy focussed guy.

It’s also a shame this was put up to have to hear the of course he got off he’s from Sydney the AFL’s love child. We all know that’s far from the truth but it sucks hearing it over and over from clueless supporters
Every team cops it when their player is let off.

What did Rampe say? And what was the Yoda comment?
Rampe on his tribunal hearing in July 2023

The AFL’s Sam Bird asked Rampe whether McNeil was really a “realistic option” for the man with the ball to kick to in the moment.

“It absolutely was a realistic option,” Rampe said.

“The pass doesn’t go there, does it?” Bird asked.

Because I did my job,” Rampe responded.

Yoda: (journalist's comment who was transcribing the tribunal)
Deliberating, the Tribunal still is.

That is Master Yoda for 'The Tribunal is still deliberating.'

Honestly thought it would just get reduced to one week but to get him
Clear and to see the result of salty tears from rest of the AFL and especially the Crows fans has made this an even better outcome of schadenfraude if I have ever seen one lol.

Us vs the rest. * the rest. Go Swans!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could we lend our legal team to our favourite goal umpire who’s been rubbed out for the season? I’d like him back for the (our) finals.

Still can't believe he got stood down for what was a genuine mistake, yet umpires call wrong free kicks and it's all sweet! Did the bloke who called that throw on Gulden get stood down when it's a clear handpass?

Still can't believe he got stood down for what was a genuine mistake, yet umpires call wrong free kicks and it's all sweet! Did the bloke who called that throw on Gulden get stood down when it's a clear handpass?

It was the mistake of calling the behind, it was the failure to check with ARC that was the hanging offence. I think that is much less excusable.

I don't really love umps being dragged for a single high profile bad call. I would prefer decisions to demote umpires be based on a more holistic assessment of their performance. But with a goal umpire that is their whole job and he should have known to call for a review in the circumstances. I guess the problem for this umpire was that he evidently thought he saw really clearly that the ball hit the post.

Been backing this man to be an AA since 2021, had a bit of trouble on getting out on the park this year but geez not only this game, but his last two months he's genuinely been the best key back in the comp.

Really excited to see what he can offer next year.

This is our most important player and I tend to think it’s by a fair margin. For example, I think we can lose Gulden and we’d be absolutely a worse side but our unique weapons in Chad and Blakey would be able to take up some of the slack in terms of their run, overlap, and kicking skills around the ground. Heeney would get more time and our other wings also would get more opportunities. Losing Gulden would be a true nightmare but I think losing McCartin would absolutely ruin us to an even greater degree. He’s so damn consistently good and we’d have to replace him with Francis or Hamling. They’re both solid AFL players but probably nothing more.

I really hope McCartin makes an AA team or wins a Skilton soon, he deserves it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back