AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't seem to ice it so seems precautionary? Hopefully...
Noticed that as well. Was walking to the bench after half time. No Ice.

I have had a bit of experience with hammy strains as i had chronic issues with both my hamstrings and my back. A very slight strain feels a bit like a stabbing cramp that does not go away but does not inhibit your ability to walk (although you can't really run) and lasts a week or two which works up to not being able to get your leg to move at the knee for a bad tear.

Once you have had a couple of strains the tightening feeling of a slight strain could be described as "awareness" (I'm no expert on the terminology here but have had lots of minor tears so can understand the terminology as it makes a lot of sense). You are aware of the tightness etc and it feels like a strain but it isn't a rip-roaring, can't bend your knee kind of tear. You can walk ok but it does inhibit your running- and of course you run the risk of more damage if you don't let it recover.

Sciatica from the back issue can also give a similar kind of "awareness" in the hammy I've found. Everything can tighten up which feels a lot like a minor strain. I guess knowing this I can understand why you'd be cautious with Reid if he is reporting any discomfort at all.

I have had a bit of experience with hammy strains as i had chronic issues with both my hamstrings and my back. A very slight strain feels a bit like a stabbing cramp that does not go away but does not inhibit your ability to walk (although you can't really run) and lasts a week or two which works up to not being able to get your leg to move at the knee for a bad tear.

Once you have had a couple of strains the tightening feeling of a slight strain could be described as "awareness" (I'm no expert on the terminology here but have had lots of minor tears so can understand the terminology as it makes a lot of sense). You are aware of the tightness etc and it feels like a strain but it isn't a rip-roaring, can't bend your knee kind of tear. You can walk ok but it does inhibit your running- and of course you run the risk of more damage if you don't let it recover.

Sciatica from the back issue can also give a similar kind of "awareness" in the hammy I've found. Everything can tighten up which feels a lot like a minor strain. I guess knowing this I can understand why you'd be cautious with Reid if he is reporting any discomfort at all.
Can you please be my boy’s personal aide? He needs delicate care.

Same here although mine is more from a work injury and the 5 operations and two fusions.

I’ve definitely suffered and still do from sciatica it’s like the depression form of hamstring and back awareness . No one sees it but it is there restricting you without abandon. It’s an unseen ailment.

Same here although mine is more from a work injury and the 5 operations and two fusions.
Yeah, I am familiar with spinal fusion as I was in a bad enough way to consider having one myself.

I reckon we put Gumby and Winderlich through and neither of them were the same again after the surgery.

Reid has had a stress fracture which has hopefully healed but as you would know, the only way to fix a stress fracture in the spine that does not heal is to “build a scaffold around it”.

Sorry to hear that Ant I’ve heard it makes you a bit more restrictive?
It can be very up and down and I can get a lot of referred pain in the leg but I had no options but it is what it is. I have to deal with what it brings. Some days are fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate to be a downer but I reckon this is a massive, massive concern. Like concerned about his ability to build a career.

Even if it's only a low-grade strain.

He's finally, in his fourth pre-season, had his first clear run at it without setback.

Then he gets into match intensity for the first time after that full pre-season... and his hammy goes?

This bodes very, very badly.

I thought we'd had our turn of this with Gumbleton.

I hate to be a downer but I reckon this is a massive, massive concern. Like concerned about his ability to build a career.

He's finally, in his fourth pre-season, had his first clear run at it without setback.

Then he gets into match intensity for the first time after that full pre-season... and his hammy goes?

half of me says it was to be expected given it was his first competitive hit out, off the back of biggest preseason loads he's had.
so hopefully we're easing him into his career and not taking chances

other half acknowledges this club is rarely afforded nice things :(

Gumby had significant back issues that were never going to allow him a decent crack at it. This is a minor setback that can happen to anyone. The fact that he’s got through a full preseason suggests he’s not got anything major contributing to his ailment and will just be a matter of conditioning his body further. Glass half full. Unless he’s torn it off the bone. Then my glass be full empty.

He needs to stay in the reserves, where there is less pressure, for the rest of this season at least. He'll just keep injuring himself until he can condition himself properly. Aren't he and Cox the "covid" generation of the young players?

I'm not buying into the doom and gloom. I feel like it's a good sign that it's a minor strain and not a tear/that bad. And the club did the right thing in taking him off and going the conservative approach.

He must play senior matches, it's too late to keep him in the 2's. He needs experience. With that, will come some setbacks. But the key is, like Scott mentioned, is to build a resistence to it over time. That resistence slowly builds as the significance of the injuries decrease. This is the most minor it's been since he's come to the club and that's a positive sign.

Some bodies are just not up to it. And his isn’t up to it.

Look forward to another 4-5 years on the list though…1 of which he’ll play 14-17 games and we all think he’s finally turned a corner…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back