AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Full training this week and VFL this weekend

Another positive for the Dons is the return of young key defender Zach Reid, who should line up for the VFL Bombers against Williamstown at Downer Oval on Sunday.

Murphy said the 19-year-old had made a quick recovery from glandular fever and would likely face the Seagulls following a strong several-week training block.

“Young 'Reidy' has gone through a nice little build-up post-glandular fever and hasn’t missed a beat for the last couple of weeks,” he said.

“He’ll look to train fully this week and be available to play most likely for this Sunday’s VFL game against Williamstown.”

Full training this week and VFL this weekend

I can't wait to see him play more regular senior footy. No need to rush him into the ones, especially with the cohesion being built week to week by our back six. Just build him in the VFL and if the chance comes, give him some experience again at AFL level. But, no need to rush him in with how we're playing right now.

Terrific that he is back playing. Going to be interesting to see how things evolve here. Could you play Stewart and Reid in the same side at some point? Especially with Ridley and Francis there. Maybe against some sides but some risk of being too tall.

Terrific that he is back playing. Going to be interesting to see how things evolve here. Could you play Stewart and Reid in the same side at some point? Especially with Ridley and Francis there. Maybe against some sides but some risk of being too tall.
Absolutely. A second tall is exactly what we've lacked.

Absolutely you can. If anything, it'd allow Francis to not have to play the number two defender, which would suit his preferred game style more as that intercept marker. It'd also see Ridley play a little more freely too. It'd probably mean that a player like Redman is pushed to the bench, depending on the opponents for the week and whether we need more speed or height in defence. Maybe even push Redman onto the other wing, even though he is looking like he is building as a rebounding defender nicely / recapturing that form that we all saw a couple of years ago.

Still think he is a way off yet though, definitely needs to put on size and string some games along in the VFL before even looking at bringing him back at AFL level. Needs to build some form, especially coming off glandular fever.

Absolutely you can. If anything, it'd allow Francis to not have to play the number two defender, which would suit his preferred game style more as that intercept marker. It'd also see Ridley play a little more freely too. It'd probably mean that a player like Redman is pushed to the bench, depending on the opponents for the week and whether we need more speed or height in defence. Maybe even push Redman onto the other wing, even though he is looking like he is building as a rebounding defender nicely / recapturing that form that we all saw a couple of years ago.

Still think he is a way off yet though, definitely needs to put on size and string some games along in the VFL before even looking at bringing him back at AFL level. Needs to build some form, especially coming off glandular fever.
Fair enough. Maybe I was getting used to our undersized defence. Feels strange to have two pretty tall guys there given Hurley whilst being KPD, is a good 3 inches shorter than Reid. And Reid is now probably a month away from seniors anyway.

Fair enough. Maybe I was getting used to our undersized defence. Feels strange to have two pretty tall guys there given Hurley whilst being KPD, is a good 3 inches shorter than Reid. And Reid is now probably a month away from seniors anyway.
I think amongst all the excitement around us playing, one thing that most supporters have forgotten is that we're still relatively easy to score against. So having another KPD is a must, hence getting Reid. Especially coming up against a team like WC this week, who will likely play the three-tall KPF, it'd be a dream to have him come in this week if he was further along in size/experience. But, that'll all come in time.

That's at least how I see it. I think you want to have at least two KPD or players of Reid's size to match up against forwards. Some other teams obviously roll with different structures/setups and it works for them though.

Just want to get games into this kid. I feel like a monster defender is something we’re lacking, looking at our younger list. Obviously he’s very highly rated.
Cant really see him being a monster, more of a taller Ridley who can take the second best tall, and have the same foot and marking skills.

Actually that does kind of sound like a monster.
nice

Cant really see him being a monster, more of a taller Ridley who can take the second best tall, and have the same foot and marking skills.

Actually that does kind of sound like a monster.
nice
I think he'll size up close to how Harris Andrews has with his body. Not bulky, just more athletic but still able to muscle through the one on ones very well. Harris Andrews took a few years to come along too, I think Reid will be similar. Definitely think having someone like Ridley around as a mentor will help him too. Rids took some time to develop and on the back of one preseason alone changed his whole mentality and I think that'll hopefully fast track his development (not that it should be rushed). Same with Hurley, I think having him around will help too.

I think he'll size up close to how Harris Andrews has with his body. Not bulky, just more athletic but still able to muscle through the one on ones very well. Harris Andrews took a few years to come along too, I think Reid will be similar. Definitely think having someone like Ridley around as a mentor will help him too. Rids took some time to develop and on the back of one preseason alone changed his whole mentality and I think that'll hopefully fast track his development (not that it should be rushed). Same with Hurley, I think having him around will help too.
Truck was no slouch in his day either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long-term I could see Ridley playing the role Heppell is currently playing.

Francis can play on your tall-medium guys, Laverde similar. So we'd have Stewart & Reid on the bigger guys, Francis & Laverde on the in-betweeners, with Hind & Redman minding the smalls. Ridley then floating around as the 7th.

13BBA910-8B87-4BFA-96BF-08669348A286.jpeg

So obviously the VFL match he was supposed to play in didn't go ahead.

Reid and Draper both went to Sydney to play for Carlton like they did last year with the combined practise matches.

From the way it was said, it sounds like it was only the two of them.

Mentioned in the performance update video:

So obviously the VFL match he was supposed to play in didn't go ahead.

Reid and Draper both went to Sydney to play for Carlton like they did last year with the combined practise matches.

From the way it was said, it sounds like it was only the two of them.

Mentioned in the performance update video:
Draper and Reid took on the Carlton 2s on their own? Just the 2 of them? Wow.

Did they win?

If Laverde doesn't get up for Richmond this weekend, given it's a knee complaint + he's battered up and they could give him a two week rest (with the bye coming up) I know the most likely replacement would be to keep BZT in but could he play? Obviously Francis comes in too.

No, give him atleast 2-3 in the 2s. I'm not worried about this kid playing senior footy this year. Just getting games in the vfl is good.
Has he been injured?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back