Delisted #32: Josh Eyre - Not offered a contract but will trial for SSP rookie spot - 11/11

Remove this Banner Ad

If your going to play eyre back and with brand developing Stewart already in the team I think you’d need to start developing Reid as a forward

If your going to play eyre back and with brand developing Stewart already in the team I think you’d need to start developing Reid as a forward
Why would that be the case?

We have two key forwards that are 25 years or under already in our best side as well as Baldwin and McBride showing a bit at the lower level this year. It's about finding who the best partner for Reid.

Has not got a huge book of work yet but from what I have seen I have liked a bit of what he has done at both ends. Lets hope we can have a season that resembles some form of normality next year and he gets to play a bit more.

Why would that be the case?

We have two key forwards that are 25 years or under already in our best side as well as Baldwin and McBride showing a bit at the lower level this year. It's about finding who the best partner for Reid.

Just my opinion that we have to many kpp backs and you can’t bank on either Baldwin coming back from injury and not playing a game although I rate him highly or Mcbride who’s also yet to play a game and still learning it be honest , at the moment Jones as great as he’s going to be seems to cop a few injuries and Wright is more that second forward ruckman and Francis with the mental health issues and patchy form up forward hence why I would try Reid forward and has played there as a junior could

Just my opinion that we have to many kpp backs and you can’t bank on either Baldwin coming back from injury and not playing a game although I rate him highly or Mcbride who’s also yet to play a game and still learning it be honest , at the moment Jones as great as he’s going to be seems to cop a few injuries and Wright is more that second forward ruckman and Francis with the mental health issues and patchy form up forward hence why I would try Reid forward and has played there as a junior could
We literally have Stewart, who will be 28 before round 1 and a bunch of medium defenders. Zerk-Thatcher can't hold a regular spot. McBride asa forward right now has shown more than Brand or Eyre as a defender by a decent margin and that's without having Jones and Wright alredy in our seniorside.

The whole reason I'm pretty much on the Eyre as a defender wagon is because he's already behind 2 key forwards under 25 that aren't even in the side yet.

We literally have Stewart, who will be 28 before round 1 and a bunch of medium defenders. Zerk-Thatcher can't hold a regular spot. McBride asa forward right now has shown more than Brand or Eyre as a defender by a decent margin and that's without having Jones and Wright alredy in our seniorside.

The whole reason I'm pretty much on the Eyre as a defender wagon is because he's already behind 2 key forwards under 25 that aren't even in the side yet.
That’s a fair call and I get where your coming from I just don’t see the need in having 5 kpp defenders 6 if you count Hurley but he’s done and playing forward if he does come back but you could develop Reid into the Hooker swing man that can play either end

Key Forwards (5): Wright, Jones, Baldwin, McBride, Hurley

Key Defenders (5/6): Laverde, Stewart, Zerk-Thatcher, Reid, Brand and Ridley (sorta, played on Naughton to finish the year)

Of the key defenders, only one is over 26yo (Stewart, who is only 28). We seem to have a good group going forward.

On the other hand, only two key forwards look certainty to play seniors next year, whilst two have significant health questions (Hurley and Baldwin) and the other is arguably as raw in McBride (remember McBride is 12 months).
I would argue that there is far more scope and opportunity for Eyre to develop as a forward, he will at least have more of an opportunity to develop there at VFL level.

Key Forwards (5): Wright, Jones, Baldwin, McBride, Hurley

Key Defenders (5/6): Laverde, Stewart, Zerk-Thatcher, Reid, Brand and Ridley (sorta, played on Naughton to finish the year)

Of the key defenders, only one is over 26yo (Stewart, who is only 28). We seem to have a good group going forward.

On the other hand, only two key forwards look certainty to play seniors next year, whilst two have significant health questions (Hurley and Baldwin) and the other is arguably as raw in McBride (remember McBride is 12 months).
I would argue that there is far more scope and opportunity for Eyre to develop as a forward, he will at least have more of an opportunity to develop there at VFL level.
You forgot Francis.
Looks like pretty good balance to me, both ends. Not sure about the more opportunity to develop forward part, especially with a resting ruck most weeks.
Probs come back to where injuries occur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baldwin, Jones and Eyre has a bit of the Roughy, Buddy and Gunston about it for the next ten years, just quietly. Actually, make that a bit of the Dunstall, Matthews and Brereton about it. Go big or go home.
That's a heavy dose of mayo there. Let's see him average 1 goal/game in the VFL before we make those sorts of comparisons.

That's a heavy dose of mayo there. Let's see him average 1 goal/game in the VFL before we make those sorts of comparisons.
Maybe it was a deliberate ploy to land in a certain thread :p

I think he's a defender. He's a good kick, reads the play better back there and I feel like we're playing a better forward (McBride) back there instead of him.

He could be a long term partner for Reid in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back