Delisted #32: Josh Eyre - Not offered a contract but will trial for SSP rookie spot - 11/11

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a 6 possession, no score game against Pies VFL so how good could it have been? The answer is not very, obviously.

There were positives, though. Eyre was getting to good spots around the ground and really launching at the ball.

I'd expect in the next few weeks that game becomes 12-15 possessions with 3 or 4 contested marks from his involvement which would be a good return. It's better if the solution is an obvious one than if it were a game in which he couldn't find the ball and was largely absent from the TV screen as can sometimes happen.

He was playing high so he didn't really get a opportunities to score.

Hope to see more in the next few weeks.

Presented well but missed some marking opportunities + heavy rain
Josh Eyre
Stats: Six disposals, 3 marks, 1 tackle

“Josh presented really well. He didn't get a lot of the ball, and he had some opportunities to probably take a few marks which he missed. He presented pretty well when it was raining really heavily, and he actually competed pretty well for us.”

Relief ruck in the VFL, but dropped marks as a forward
Josh Eyre
Stats: Three disposals, two marks, two tackles

“He didn't get a lot of the ball. We lost our ruckman before the game, so he had to be sort of a relief ruckman and I thought he competed honestly in the ruck. As a forward he probably dropped a few marks he could've taken and probably found it a bit tougher this week."

Apparently a head clash on Wednesday gave him some concussion symptoms so he's not allowed to play any games for 12 days under concussion protocols.

Tracking well, training non-contact, missed last weekend and will miss this weekend as well due to the timing of it.

Source: video

I think I've worked out the short, medium and long term things.

Short term is 1 or 2 weeks
Medium is 3 to 5 weeks
Long term is 6 or more weeks

I wonder if we should try him down back for the next few games. He's really struggled to get into games up forward and he might find it a bit easier down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth a shot, especially if McBride can carry his forward form into the next couple games.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app
The fact is, he's averaging 5.25 touches a game and has 1 behind for the entire year. There's something there but it's clear as day he's struggling as a forward.

Probably doesn't help that the VFL side is hot garbage. It's hard to get involved as a forward when the ball is down the other end of the ground more often than not.
It doesn't, but he's struggling for a number of reasons. With McBride kicking 3 on the weekend and Ambrose coming back potentially, giving him a few games in defence could be beneficial for him

It doesn't, but he's struggling for a number of reasons. With McBride kicking 3 on the weekend and Ambrose coming back potentially, giving him a few games in defence could be beneficial for him

Could be similar to Laverde where he might enjoy the ball coming at him rather than him going to get the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is a 19yo key forward that:
1. didnt play at all in 2020
2. is coming off a 3 week lockdown in melbourne and
3. is playing a team that is routinely getting pumped

There is no mystery as to why he might be struggling on field. Give him time, we dont need him right now in the seniors so just let him work through it in the magoos.

Good move.

Spend a couple of weeks getting hands on the ball.
I think he'll spend time on either Mitch or Ben Brown, depending on how Melbourne structure their forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back