Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

get him up here i want to boof him,just watched the highlights package.... i'm already on the bandwagon

Great drafting North, kinda lucky too.
I really like this kid, he could be anything

I don't really think he was a slider. A hell of a lot of KPP's went at the start of the 2nd round and he wasn't one of them.

I'm hoping he keeps growing for another year. There's a lot to like about his agility and kicking.

The Crows giving up pick 20 may have really helped us out in getting Wood. They were keen apparently.

Even if they took another tall like O'Brien, this may have moved Wood up the order.

In Thursday's Age, Emma Quayle had Garner at 19 and Wood at 22. Interestingly last Sunday she rated them differently on the basis of the best players, with Joe Daniher at 1 and our two boys, Garner at 16 and Wood at 17.

I certainly feel we have done well when I see that sort of assessment.

192cm = about 6 foot 4. Cant believe that is not considered key position these days.

It's ridiculous. Watching highlight vids you see midfielders and think theres nothing of em. Then they stand on stage to receive the jumper from yesterday's heroes and they 're giants in comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FIGJAM or otherwise he appears a top get at 41 - find it hard to split him and Garner as to who looks more impressive, plus confidence is not necessarily a bad thing.

Must be some reason he slipped 20 or so spots from predictions, but hopefully becomes our gain in time.

Hes gona be a star of this comp - i know thats a huge call and a very premature one - but he has the traits on and off the field to be something special. What an awesome get at 41.

In Thursday's Age, Emma Quayle had Garner at 19 and Wood at 22. Interestingly last Sunday she rated them differently on the basis of the best players, with Joe Daniher at 1 and our two boys, Garner at 16 and Wood at 17.

I certainly feel we have done well when I see that sort of assessment.

Here is one of the links for her best 30
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-pick-of-the-crop-20121117-29jct.html

16. TAYLOR GARNER
(Dandenong Stingrays. 18, 187cm, 77kg)
Garner is another unusual type: a brave, stretchy player who can do unexpected things from awkward spots. His shoulders are a bit loose, but that hasn't discouraged him from sticking his arms up and putting himself into positions where he could get hurt. Scratches and scrounges to stay involved pushing through half forward and kicks goals when he drops deeper.
Who will pick him? He's been linked to Collingwood and is a strong chance to make it to there with a few other clubs, including North Melbourne, to take a look.

17. MASON WOOD
(Geelong Falcons. 18, 192cm, 80kg)
Wood has a nice streak of confidence, which you need as a key forward. He's grown a few centimetres in the past year or two and gotten a bit stronger but has still been able to use his strengths: he's got a fast first few steps, he covers a lot ground and he knows how to manoeuvre himself to get around players. Do these things more consistently at AFL level and he'll be tough to match up on.
Who will pick him? Quite a few clubs are interested in Wood. He's a chance for either Fremantle or Geelong and three clubs with picks in the 20s are keen: Adelaide, Sydney and St Kilda.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-pick-of-the-crop-20121117-29jct.html#ixzz2DT2HwFtR

Remove this Banner Ad

Back