Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we keeping him in the side for the sake of hoping that he'll do something with his speed just in case?

He's been ordinary for a while now. He "looks" like he provides speed to our team, but his actual overall input amounts to hardly anything. Keeps fumbling when he tries to pick it up. Turns the ball over by foot. Hardly provides the pressure.

Thought I'd watch him closely today.
Every time he touched it, bar once or twice, he fumbled.
Disposal poor.
With Fantasia out he'll keep his spot and might've anyway but I'd like to see some selection pressure put on him at some point.
Was very poor today.
He used to have great skills by hand. But his kicking let him down.

Now his constant fumbling means he is even more rushed by foot.

Plus he probably is the only player in the AFL to have less tackles than Watson.

The two of them must be worth 6 to 7 goals a game for the opposition at the moment.

Who wants some of the more damning stats and rankings for Colyer at the club this year?
Effective disposal percentage: 68.5% (ranked 29th).
Total clangers: 49 (ranked 7th).
Average clangers per game: 2.6 (ranked 12th).
Total one-percenters: 18 (ranked equal 19th).
Average one-percenters: 0.9 (ranked equal 28th).
**Note one-percenters are pressure acts that don't necessarily count as stats on their own.

For mine while he's not the only player that probably lets the side down pretty regularly lately, Colyer probably shouldn't be in the side. I'd be playing Mutch ahead of him on the wing for his superior ball usage or put McGrath on the wing for the rest of the year.

Who wants some of the more damning stats and rankings for Colyer at the club this year?
Effective disposal percentage: 68.5% (ranked 29th).
Total clangers: 49 (ranked 7th).
Average clangers per game: 2.6 (ranked 12th).
Total one-percenters: 18 (ranked equal 19th).
Average one-percenters: 0.9 (ranked equal 28th).
**Note one-percenters are pressure acts that don't necessarily count as stats on their own.

For mine while he's not the only player that probably lets the side down pretty regularly lately, Colyer probably shouldn't be in the side. I'd be playing Mutch ahead of him on the wing for his superior ball usage or put McGrath on the wing for the rest of the year.
Um. Out of about 25 yeah? Guys that haven't played this year wouldn't have stats or rankings.

Out of 35 guys that've played AFL.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, as I said to CH, I wouldn't put much stock in it if it's a comparison of him and say, Aaron Francis. Or Heath Hocking. Their numbers aren't reflective of what they're actually capable of because the sample size is too small, so their rankings likewise aren't reflective.

The total clangers stat would be skewed based on the fact that high possession players would naturally have more clangers. He is in fact worse than those stats would have you believe.

Plus, I have my eyes, and I can see how rubbish his kicking is.
Yup, he doesn't get the ball very much but butchers it regularly. I can understand speed being an asset to the side, but realistically when you turn it over (or just stuff it up) just about every 2nd time you touch the ball you're a liability.

Yeah, as I said to CH, I wouldn't put much stock in it if it's a comparison of him and say, Aaron Francis. Or Heath Hocking. Their numbers aren't reflective of what they're actually capable of because the sample size is too small, so their rankings likewise aren't reflective.
Good point, if we put it in terms of guys that've played 10 or more games (which is just 22 players) he'd probably be ranked the worst of the lot across the majority of those. But if we're talking pressure acts for the guys that may be considered "best 22" at present the worst of the lot is probably Green.

The stats I'm using are current to round 19, so don't include yesterday's game. I controlled for a minimum of four games, which excludes the following: McKernan, McNiece, Francis, Laverde, Bird, Hocking. This gives us 29 players with usable stats, and therefore a ranking system of 1-29. High rank (i.e 1) = more of that stat.

Of that, Colyer ranks;
1st for games played (18)
28th for percentage of game played
Pretty low rank for percentage of game played, but at 74.2% he's around the mark for a smaller player. I wonder if the burst players (repeat sprinters) get more bench time? Keeping a sprinter fresh is probably more important than putting an inside player on the bench, because your legs would probably be the first thing to fatigue, right? And if that's the greatest asset that a particular player has then it better be kept in good nick.

10th for disposals
12th for average disposals
11th for contested possessions
9th for uncontested possessions
More games, more possessions, nothing surprising here

7th for clearances
17th for contested marks
Not really relevant stats, although his clearances are higher than I would have guessed.

19th for frees for (6)
20th for frees against (7)
Doesn't win a lot of frees, but doesn't give a lot away either. Almost a 1:1 ratio.

9th for clangers
16th for clangers per disposal
9th for clangers outright, but he gets plenty of disposals and only 14.5% of them result in clangers, which gives him a rank of 16th for clangers per disposal.

7th for scoring shots
7th for goals
6th for behinds
10th for marks inside 50
12th for goal assists
One of our more attacking players.

8th for tackles
18th for One percenters
Gets plenty of tackles. Is 18th for one percenters. 9 of the guys ahead of him on one percenters are defenders, who naturally get more of this stat through spoils and shepherding.

2nd for bounces
8th for metres gained
10th for metres gained per disposal
11th for rebound 50s
8th for inside 50s
Does a lot of running with the ball, and moves the ball forward both out of defence and into the offensive 50. Pretty typical winger stats.

On a 10+ game requirement, there are 22 players (rankings to 22), and you get the following:
1st for games played
21st for percentage of game played

10th for disposals
11th for average disposals
11th for contested possessions
9th for uncontested possessions

7th for clearances
17th for contested marks

18th for frees for
19th for frees against

9th for clangers
11th for clangers per disposal

7th for scoring shots
7th for goals
6th for behinds
9th for marks inside 50
12th for goal assists

8th for tackles
14th for one percenters

2nd for bounces
8th for metres gained
9th for metres gained per disposal
11th for rebound 50s
8th for inside 50s
Of the ones that are marked in red, the only one that is worth looking into is the one percenters, as far as I can see. But I think part of that might be that he's an outside player and tends to play in space. It's hard to shepherd or spoil someone if you're short (can't punch it out of their hands) and nowhere near them.

He's actually equal 14th with Zach Merrett for that stat, and the players that rank lower in one percenters than he does are:
Zaharakis, David
McDonald-Tipungwuti, Anthony
Myers, David
Parish, Darcy
Fantasia, Orazio
Stewart, James
Green, Josh

Not bad company really. Although Josh Green is last, as predicted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are there stats available for fumble acts?
Not that I'm aware of.

My issue with Colyer is that he seems to get corralled on the boundary, too scared to make a decision, doesn't want to kick on the wrong foot and doesn't take his chances, ends up doing something silly or getting shoved out of bounds. It's a scenario that seems to happen regularly for him. Not something you'll find in the stats though.

I've been a big fan of letting him find form throughout the year, not opposed to giving him a couple of weeks in the seconds and let a junior be blooded in Colyers place.

However... with Razs injury this is not likely to happen

I've been a big fan of letting him find form throughout the year, not opposed to giving him a couple of weeks in the seconds and let a junior be blooded in Colyers place.

However... with Razs injury this is not likely to happen
That's the annoying thing. At any other club he would likely have been dumped to the VFL, he's one of those players that might have a good game every 3-4 weeks but the rest of the time he's a liability.

If Mutch or Laverde (who has pretty decent speed himself) is ready, then for mine Colyer is dropped immediately. he's become a liability in the midfield with his disposal and lack of pressure, and doesn't hit the scoreboard often enough to be used as a small forward. Other option is we use McGrath on the wing for the remainder of the year.

Honestly, he's terrible below his knees, always fumbles, has a lanky kicking style, can run all day, is always available to receive the ball, pretends to chase his direct opponent.

Bonsai ruckman.
Should not have a spot in the side. Must have walked in on them shredding the documents.

Honestly, he's terrible below his knees, always fumbles, has a lanky kicking style, can run all day, is always available to receive the ball, pretends to chase his direct opponent.

Bonsai ruckman.
Should not have a spot in the side. Must have walked in on them shredding the documents.
As Jmoo said it is both scathing and accurate at the same time. I nicknamed him soapy on the weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back