Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Ironic as this is going to sound someone needs to pay him a replay of Zaka's game on Saturday night to highlight how much more he needs to
work. He is lucky no one else in the seconds really pushing for his role in the side at the moment.

What frustrates me is I don't think he really understands how quick he is. An opponent in front of him, he takes 2 or 3 steps, thinks about burning past and then stops.

Mate back your pace, run around the pricks and make them look stupid as you bounce away. Sure every now and then he'll be caught but when it comes off it'll be electric.

Said this in the post-match thread but was apparently doing a defensive job on Elliott Yeo (and a pretty good one it seemed) in the first half according to ABC Grandstand/ I didn't see it at all so I can't comment on whether that's accurate or not but for those at the game does that factor into his performance?

Played on Gaff most of the afternoon.

Although Gaff had 28 possessions I thought he had little influence.

I heard he was on Gaff too (I've watched a quarter on the replay and think that may be right).

When the game was up for grabs in the first half, Gaff had 7 possessions. I think I'd call that a win for Colyer.

Edit: Or what JayJ20 said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard he was on Gaff too (I've watched a quarter on the replay and think that may be right).

When the game was up for grabs in the first half, Gaff had 7 possessions. I think I'd call that a win for Colyer.

Edit: Or what JayJ20 said

It's hard to keep up with at times with midfield rotations but I saw him running with him quite a lot. Even though Gaff got his hands on it a bit I think he had no influence at all so Colyer definitely won I believe.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Big fan of Trav but if anyone ever questions Heppell's courage, going back with the flight to mark a pass from him just after he'd butchered a couple in the first was insane. Put his life in his hands.

He's gone the Adam McPhee route. Really good year and then turned to absolute tripe. Skills have gone missing, always over runs the ball, making bad decisions.
He almost goes to quick and then can't settle to execute. Needs a spell in the magoos to get some confidence.

The biggest issue for me is that his speed just wasn't there. Without the extra step from that he's never going to be good enough in the afl

Colyer and Melksham remind me of Essendon 5 years ago; we were flashy in patches but lacked consistent defensive pressure and general ball handling and kicking skills. One of the things I've liked about Bomber over Hird is his selections week to week. Hird would choose his mates in Welsh, McVeigh, Hille over more capable players to the detriment of the team. Bomber generally drops the players out of form and promotes those worthy of being on the field. With guys like Melksham and Colyer in our team, I feel like we've taken a backwards step.

I didn't dislike Melksham in the past but I'm sick of his poor decision making, fumbliness, going to ground, shoddy defensive chases and general lack of improvement in the past few years.

Colyer is quick but his skills aren't up to the standard of the rest of the team. He doesn't know how to shrug a tackle to save himself and for a tiny bloke I don't think he has enough tricks to consistently hurt the opposition.

I would prefer we trade these two.

You don't want Colyer in the team or even on the list? I'm not sure how much credibility you came in with but it's just gone downhill.
Colyer is crucial for the team for blindingly obvious reasons.

:rolleyes::thumbsu:

What frustrates me is I don't think he really understands how quick he is. An opponent in front of him, he takes 2 or 3 steps, thinks about burning past and then stops.

Mate back your pace, run around the pricks and make them look stupid as you bounce away. Sure every now and then he'll be caught but when it comes off it'll be electric.

This is a good point, often he does all the hard work opening up space and instead of taking one extra step or two like Walla does, Colyer tries to kick it instead of pausing then disposing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back