AFL Player #33: Alwyn Davey Jr - Lindsay Griffith Rising Star

What is the preferred nickname for Alwyn Davey Jr?

• Froggy Jr

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Tadpole

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Flash

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I like that we're persevering with ADJ. It's good experience for him, and he does add some speed to the forwardline. The confidence will come over time as he puts on a little more size and learns to cope with the body contact.

I like that we're persevering with ADJ. It's good experience for him, and he does add some speed to the forwardline. The confidence will come over time as he puts on a little more size and learns to cope with the body contact.
If Jake Stringer stops burning him when he's running free into the forward 50 it should help with confidence also.

I am a big fan but he was poor tonight.

Doesn't play with enough want like other players do. I can handle the fumbles/mistakes all day, but if you don't really want it, it's hard to get behind you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Jake Stringer stops burning him when he's running free into the forward 50 it should help with confidence also.
If he stops fumbling it when they do give it him they may have more confidence to do it . Softer than Tsatas .

it’s a tough one. He’s obviously not up to it yet, but his pace is so needed in the front half. Doesn’t make the mistakes menzie or Hind do, probably through lack of involvement but I think I’d take that, at this stage.

Didn’t offer much last night. Not sure he even chased hard, let alone stuck tackles. Have advocated for him but not sure he can stay on the back of that performance.

He really struggles to be clean with his ball handling - that’s death for a small forward. No reason he can’t work on this and fix it.

Different roles. They're not asking Davey to be an inside player. He provides pace we don't get anywhere else on the list.

No point having pace when you can’t contribute to the game. We might as well go and recruit the best sprinters in the country otherwise.

He has to go this week, he is simply not contributing anything to the team at the moment. I’d rather Shiel in the forward pocket, at least he would compete.

tough spot to be in. he’s a great user of the ball when he gets it, but his problem is that he appears extremely timid in the face of a contest presently.

compare his size to harley reid (not the best comparison obviously) but he’s a monster of an 18 year old, davey needs some muscle on his body asap or it’ll become a genuine worry.

i could imagine him making way for archie roberts, perhaps

I am really torn as I reckon his pace really throws off teams.

But he just does not do enough damage.

Still very bullish on him.

Reckon we should persist.
^^In spades.

Opposition players are super weary when he is chasing. Great experience for him but can we carry him? We are almost playing a player short with his output but super excited for what he can become. Real x factor. Just has to impact physically much more but that will come.

If we are truly rebuilding and not caring about wins/losses, he stays in. I'm torn, I need sugar hits!

No point having pace when you can’t contribute to the game. We might as well go and recruit the best sprinters in the country otherwise.

He has to go this week, he is simply not contributing anything to the team at the moment. I’d rather Shiel in the forward pocket, at least he would compete.
Guelfi was only first game back and I'd stick with Gresham over Shiel. Don't even think Shiel has been playing in the pocket.

Last edited:
it’s a tough one. He’s obviously not up to it yet, but his pace is so needed in the front half. Doesn’t make the mistakes menzie or Hind do, probably through lack of involvement but I think I’d take that, at this stage.
He doesn’t get the ball enough to make statistical mistakes but I’d consider moving out of the way of a contest as a mistake. The kid has talent but he’s laid 1 tackle in the last 2 games with 64% disposal efficiency. Time for a spell.

Back