Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:

Keyter

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
  • ALIIR ALLIR Welcome
    DOB: 05/09/1994 Height: 196cm Weight: 90kg

• Move over Majak Daw

For so long the poster boy of all that can be multi-cultural about the Australian game, Majak Daw now has company. Sydney's decision to draft another Sudanese, Aliir Aliir, has the potential to be one of the game's feel-good stories. Born in a refugee camp in Kenya as his family fled the war in Sudan, the 19-year-old grew up in Queensland but was passed over in last year's draft. He moved to WA to reunite with his family, who had moved there. At new club East Fremantle, he was converted from an undersized ruckman into a defender. It has won him an AFL contract. Importantly, he'll get time to develop further at the Swans.

‘‘It’s a great story but it is important to get across too that he has not been selected because he is a great story, we think he has the potential to come through as a key defender in time,’’ Swans recruiting manager Kinnear Beatson said.

‘‘In 2012 he played in the ruck for Queensland and just ran around and this year after moving to Perth he played back in the WAFL, so it is the first year that he has played back, and then another game this year for East Fremantle he pushed forward and kicked five goals.’’

PLAYER ASSESSMENT
    Born in Kenya of Sudanese heritage, Aliir is a tall defender who has developed into a rebounding defender. Can also go forward and kick goals. Strong overhead with good natural leap. Moved from Queensland to WA this year and has represented both states in the AFL Under-18 Championships in the past two years.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
2013 Stats
Comp P K* H* M* G
U18s 4 5.3 4.3 2.5 0
WAFL Colts 13 8.3 6.2 3.6 6

*Average

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/aliir-aliir

Article in The Age (Emma Quayle): Teamwork finds Aliir a family (May 16, 2013)

Here is Perth - his mother insisted he move at the end of last year - where Aliir has been playing for the East Fremantle under-18s. One of his friends from the combine, Fremantle draftee Josh Simpson, had put in a good word for him there.

He started in the ruck - where he had always played, the best place to learn how to track the ball - but coach Mark Foster wasn't sure he would be big enough to play there if he made it to an AFL team.

Foster moved him to defence, and Aliir has loved it there. He can run, he can use his skills, and he can push forward at times. He has come to enjoy spoiling almost as much as taking a big mark - almost. ''It's the same sort of thing,'' he said. ''If you go for it, don't only go halfway.''

Foster can't believe the amount of time he always seems to have, and how rapid his improvement has been. Aliir has been named in the West Australian under-18 state squad, and hopes he'll get to play in the national championships that start at the end of May. He is rookie list material now, and has time to become even more than that.

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/teamwork-finds-aliir-a-family-20130515-2jmur.html

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
271999-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

The inside word
Born in Kenya of Sudanese heritage, Aliir is a tall defender who has developed into a rebounding defender. Can also go forward and kick goals. Strong overhead with good natural leap. Moved from Queensland to WA this year and has represented both states in the AFL Under-18 Championships in the past two years.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/aliir-aliir

Aliir Aliir (WA – KPD)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 05/09/1994
Recruited from: East Fremantle
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: Rookie - undrafted
Profile: Raw, athletic key defender. Closing speed good. He’s quick and can run and carry. Ball use by hand and foot poor. Average 1v1. Ability to read it in the air poor.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2013-phantom-draft.983436/

Not a very complimentary description but seems like he has the raw tools to be a good key defender. Also according to Sheehan he is always smiling so that is a a tick with his personality.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Guys it looks like BigFooty is slow tonight because of the extra traffic, so it might look like your post/thread hasn't gone through, just be patient. Have merged the duplicate threads into one.

RaZoRBlad3

Senior List
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm probably most excited about this guy based on the video I've seen. Doesn't appear as raw as his profile has him to be. Could become a very good player for us I reckon, if not for our abundance of KPF, I reckon he could be awesome as a forward.

Reminds me greatly of Casey Sibosado. His potential was talked up by people including Emma Quayle who listed him as one of her top 25 draft prospects in 2008 because he looked "different" and "exciting". Had fantastic athleticism. Spent 3 years on Fremantle's list, achieving nothing, and now plays in the WAFL reserves.

Keyter

All Australian
Dec 6, 2010
Docklands
AFL Club
Sydney
Reminds me greatly of Casey Sibosado. His potential was talked up by people including Emma Quayle who listed him as one of her top 25 draft prospects in 2008 because he looked "different" and "exciting". Had fantastic athleticism. Spent 3 years on Fremantle's list, achieving nothing, and now plays in the WAFL reserves.

thats your four post running him down and he hasn't booked a ticket to sydney yet. give it a rest and lets see how it plays out, genius.

thats your four post running him down and he hasn't booked a ticket to sydney yet. give it a rest and lets see how it plays out, genius.
If anyone else who has actually watched the guy play wants to add some input, feel free. I don't see you volunteering.

And if I compared him with Sibosado 2 years ago you would have said it was a massive compliment, as he was being talked up for great things. Settle.

Beatson reckons we wont rookie a kpd so Alir is all we're getting. :O

Right now our list has the same balance as the 2013 list. 38 seniors and 7 rookies (assuming Perris and P.Mitchell are rookied).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now our list has the same balance as the 2013 list. 38 seniors and 7 rookies (assuming Perris and P.Mitchell are rookied).
What's the maximum list size? I just had the feeling we had several spaces left

You can adjust the number of senior listed and CAT A rookies but I think the ultimate maximum is 47
e.g.
38 senior listed + 6 CAT A rookies + 3 CAT B rookies; or
40 senior listed + 4 CAT A rookies + 3 CAT B rookies

BarneyBent can confirm.

Ed_Gein

Very good. But brick not hit back!
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers, Liverpool, Storm.

I'll take your word for it on Sibosado, but Aliir hasn't been talked up in the same i imagine. Most would have said he would have been lucky to be rookie listed. He is young and extremely raw but we'll have 3 years to work with him to see if he'll make it.

Anyway, apparently next years draft is going to have some very good talls in it, so not a complete loss on missing out on who we were after today.

Anyone else think we were after Giles or Kolodjashnij?

I think the key was in what Beatson said in his SEN interview which was along the lines of ... "we will only be taking 2 more selections which are both our committed rookie picks for Perris and Mitchell (IR) unless the powers that be give me more money to play with"

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
I'll take your word for it on Sibosado, but Aliir hasn't been talked up in the same i imagine. Most would have said he would have been lucky to be rookie listed. He is young and extremely raw but we'll have 3 years to work with him to see if he'll make it.

Anyway, apparently next years draft is going to have some very good talls in it, so not a complete loss on missing out on who we were after today.

Anyone else think we were after Giles or Kolodjashnij?

Maybe Kolojashnij but not Giles after we passed on him twice knowing Carlton were sniffing after him

Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
I think the key was in what Beatson said in his SEN interview which was along the lines of ... "we will only be taking 2 more selections which are both our committed rookie picks for Perris and Mitchell (IR) unless the powers that be give me more money to play with"
He wants Tippett, but has to compete with the $ West Adelaide are paying him. That's my take on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back