Delisted #36: Garrett McDonagh - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

What youth picked after him would have been a better choice in hindsight?

NFI, I dont follow the AFL drafts very closely, and as I said it may be that they honestly thought he'd play rnd 1. But unless everyone else was seriously deplorable, as per the question, would you not be better off deffering to the youth side of things?

And if we did think he was a legit chance for rnd 1, was it a terrible read by the draft team, or an inability of the coaching staff to get him in?

Oh well footywire had him contracted for 2 years
Think Kelly was 3 when geelong got him aswell
Some get 2 (Brown and Hartley did for us) but it might be 24/25 instead of 23

Oh well footywire had him contracted for 2 years
Think Kelly was 3 when geelong got him aswell
If you’re over a certain age you can name your price and length of contract on the draft nomination form. If you don’t write it in then it’s automatically 1 year if you’re over 23, under that age it’s 2 years.

NFI, I dont follow the AFL drafts very closely, and as I said it may be that they honestly thought he'd play rnd 1. But unless everyone else was seriously deplorable, as per the question, would you not be better off deffering to the youth side of things?

And if we did think he was a legit chance for rnd 1, was it a terrible read by the draft team, or an inability of the coaching staff to get him in?
Two covid affected seasons for the 17-18 year olds means there was less good depth than there otherwise might have been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two covid affected seasons for the 17-18 year olds means there was less good depth than there otherwise might have been.

Of course, and he might have been the only logically choice at that spot. It just seems an odd choice (because even if the choice was just him or a similiar 22 year old, would you not go the 22 year old?) unless you really expected him to debut. And as he apparently wasn't really close, it still appears to be an odd selection.

Serong, Harrison, Williams and Rankin.

Of those who haven't been picked:

Dittmar.
Rayson.
Molan.
So 4 (or 7) out of 15, plus whoever was picked in the PSD and RD.

And who knows if we were looking for anything specific at that pick which might have ruled out some of those guys

Shocked to hear this didn't work out...

I can understand mature if you seriously expect them to play Rnd 1, but even if there wasn't much else available surely you err on the side of youth?

What youth picked after him would have been a better choice in hindsight?
I think the fact he is on 1 year deal explains it tbh.
We didnt have any rookies we wanted to elevate, so we needed to use 3 live picks as per the AFLs rules.

Considering how disappointed Dodoro and RFK looked when Arthur Jones and Arlo Draper were picked, I imagine we didn't have anyone we liked enough left on our draft board to give an automatic 2 year de to after drafting Lord. So, we picked a guy we knew only tied us to a 12 month deal.

That way, if he worked out, great. If he didnt work out, he was was solid VFL player that we could move on at the end of this year (as we have) and we can use his list spot again in this draft instead of it being tied over to next year as well.

Shocked to hear this didn't work out...

I can understand mature if you seriously expect them to play Rnd 1, but even if there wasn't much else available surely you err on the side of youth?
So you can delist the youth after hanging onto them for two years ?
They took a punt on a guy who was physically ready and they hoped could take a step up and be ready in a shorter time frame. It did not work but if it did they would have saved a season over the youth. It is not hard to work out .

So you can delist the youth after hanging onto them for two years ?
They took a punt on a guy who was physically ready and they hoped could take a step up and be ready in a shorter time frame. It did not work but if it did they would have saved a season over the youth. It is not hard to work out .

Yeah good point. Will be interesting to see if this catches on as a bit of a trend. Certainly makes a lot of sense if you expect some list turnover

Remove this Banner Ad

Back