Retired #38 Colin O'Riordan - 2021 best clubman

Remove this Banner Ad

MQfJMVeK.jpg

Colin O'Riordan

Player Profile

Irish Sydney Swans import Colin O’Riordan is determined to cement a position in the club’s evolving back six in 2020. The 2015 draftee broke through for his AFL debut in Round 17, 2018 and featured in 12 senior games in 2019. O’Riordan can shut down tall and small forwards and loves to run and carry.

Colin O'Riordan

DOB: 12 October 1995
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: County Tipperary (Ireland)

Last edited:
Nice article about COR managing training for Sydney-based Clan Na Gael club.
Sydney’s GAA community were also celebrating last weekend. O’Riordan is a familiar face around the Clan Na Gael club. The relationship began when Kildare’s Joe Kinahan decided to reach out and ask for some help.

Congratulations on being named Best Clubman.

Congratulations on being named Best Clubman.

Does winning that award secure his position in the side? OOC 50/50 if he is offered a new deal or delisted.

Does winning that award secure his position in the side? OOC 50/50 if he is offered a new deal or delisted.

Hard to know but you would imagine the club would be foolish to let him go if he is so well regarded by his teammates, management and people in the club. He is still only 25 and lots to like about him. Would really like to see him get a consistent season in where he is best 22 at least 90% of the time as I feel that would do his confidence the world of good.

I'd like to see him get a 2-3 year contract, have a bit of luck with injuries and play best 22 as we have all noticed that he is too good for VFL...let's give him a chance in the firsts where he gets games in a row so we can see what he is made of.

"#38 Colin O'Riordan - maité"
mate= maité in Gaelic

#38 Colin O'Riordan - dedication to the CORe

Anyone want to pitch a new thread subtitle? Mates played 30 games.
He signed a 2 year extension (expiring next month) and played 13 games in that time.

What are the odds of the thread having the "Past" header added shortly?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Irishman Colin O’Riordan, 26, has also called time on his AFL career due to a chronic hip injury.

“Since arriving at the club, Colin has been one of the most popular members of our playing group and he will be sorely missed,” Gardiner said. “It really is an incredible achievement to move to Australia from Ireland, learn a new game and forge a successful AFL career and Colin has been able to do just that.”

Tough luck. There was no one who tried harder. Good skills and lots of bad luck.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk
Agreed, his skills were good enough to make it I feel but injuries were cruelly against him when he needed to cement a spot.

Wish Colin all the best.

What responsibility does the club have with respect to the injury? Has AFLPA negotiated some component of a payout for future medical costs? A hip injury has a possibility of premature degeneration and early hip replacement. If Colin returns to Ireland will he get any financial support for health needs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back