• Errol Gulden

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Was trying to think who our best player is this season.

There is no clear answer and that's not a bad thing . We probably have a top ten or so.

Interested to hear what people think.

I've included a poll with an option to pick two players.

Dane Rampe or Ollie Florent

My big thing with Papley is that he is a small forward that doesn't need the team firing. Most small forwards rely on the team to provide opportunities, I really think he's close to the best ever small forward.
Still probably a fair way off Betts or Milne for longevity but you're spot on about him not needing the team firing. He frequently keeps us in games or gets us back into them with his own effort. Can also go into the middle and have an impact. He's way more valuable than your average small forward.

warner is really pushing

but to me it is Callum Mills, he can play in more positions and brings a leadership and also Heeney, when he is s**t we aren't as good

but short term future warner and blakey and maybe Gulden there

mcdonald could be a star if the chips fall

Papley is great but not quite with Mills Heeney level imo

Parker and Buddy past their best and Rampe is as well as brave as he still is.

I wouldn't pick T Mccartin but deserves consideration

You can only determine that by looking back. Every player on that list, and some others besides, can be our best in any given match. Then you have forwards vs defenders vs mids vs rucks all with different roles to play.
Swans have been fortunate to have had some fantastic players over the years but who was better - Plugger or Buddy? To be honest, I don't care. Both fantastic.
Same with Mills, Chad or Errol. All fantastic.

warner is really pushing

but to me it is Callum Mills, he can play in more positions and brings a leadership and also Heeney, when he is s**t we aren't as good

but short term future warner and blakey and maybe Gulden there

mcdonald could be a star if the chips fall

Papley is great but not quite with Mills Heeney level imo

Parker and Buddy past their best and Rampe is as well as brave as he still is.

I wouldn't pick T Mccartin but deserves consideration
Comfortably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If ranking points matter it goes Lloyd > Gulden > Mills > Chad. Take Lloyd out and it's about right imo and in that order. Chad has had a few down games but if he pops off hes BOG

I just feel like I can remember a dozen games where Papley has won a game off his own boot, which is probably about triple of any other player on the list.

Might just be my memory though.

Ladhams - just because he makes me laugh. Like all ruckmen, Dumb as a box full of hammers but no doubting his heart.

Second is the turtle on Valium - Maclean. What on earth was that planing / planking effort ? Looked like some bizarre mating ritual.

Jokes aside it has to be The Chad. Gamebusting, tackle breaking excitement machine. Can turn the game single-handedly. The acceleration - notice how he looks at his opponents as he glides past them - almost like good luck boys, did you like that ?

Mills across the park. Might not be as flashy as the Heeney or Warner types but gets the ball more, just as damaging and can do it whilst defending. Move him to a wing he will run all day. Move him back and he'll be a wall. Move him forward and he will create and could easily kick 35 in a season ala Hayward and Heeney.

I probably reckon it's Mills just in front of Warner. Gulden and Ollie and Blakey and Papley have also been good. But a player who is not getting enough love is Jakey Lloyd. Forever flies under the radar. Has been very solid this season when - and we've needed him to be!

So far this year, our wins have come off the back of Papley, Gulden, Warner and Mills.

I voted Papley, but it's difficult to split the 4 I listed above. They all offer something different and have all contributed to our wins.

Papley still needs a couple more seasons of elite footy to put his name at the top of the small forward list, but imo its a case of when, not if.

The fact that he can generate his own goals from half chances, can run through a pack and waltz out with the ball, can go into centre bounces and have an impact, has won games off his own boot, pumps the team up when he kicks a goal and has a bit of mongrel about him. For those reasons, I went Papley. He's the best in his position, and will soon be in the conversation as one of the best ever in that position.

Back