AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite the protestations of some, Draper is a million miles from being a 'vanilla pick' - A budding ruck at 203cm who has played one year of footy is a risky and speculative pick.

This is an extended video of highlights.

Beat ya to it by several hours lol (see rookie draft thread). The guy has a lot of promise, physically he'd probably be considered ready to go (and that's something you rarely hear for 18 year old ruckmen), could become a really good player once we work on his skills and game sense, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beat ya to it by several hours lol (see rookie draft thread). The guy has a lot of promise, physically he'd probably be considered ready to go (and that's something you rarely hear for 18 year old ruckmen), could become a really good player once we work on his skills and game sense, etc.

Cheers, I saw it earlier on the Blitz but hadn't seen it posted here.

I agree, he looks promising.

28 goals in 2013, never forget
I'm willing to give Tommy a chance this pre season and hoping he can overtake Leuey for his own confidence but doubt that he'll kick that many goals in a season again. I honestly don't like him, mostly because of his attitude. This kid sounds like he has some nice traits and a strong desire to play.

I'm willing to give Tommy a chance this pre season and hoping he can overtake Leuey for his own confidence but doubt that he'll kick that many goals in a season again. I honestly don't like him, mostly because of his attitude. This kid sounds like he has some nice traits and a strong desire to play.

All hell will break loose if 28GoalsIn2013 overtook Luey :D

I like this pick up. I have no expectations for him next year other than to be competitive. I'd comfortably say he is a massive upgrade on Gach/Thurlow as rookie rucks go.

All hell will break loose if 28GoalsIn2013 overtook Luey :D

I like this pick up. I have no expectations for him next year other than to be competitive. I'd comfortably say he is a massive upgrade on Gach/Thurlow as rookie rucks go.

haha forgot about Thurlow

As a former central defender his lateral movement will be good and he'll be a good tackler when his opponent are running towards him, He'll naturally watch the hips as he's been taught that his whole soccer career. His vertical jump would have to be good as well contesting in the air with his head, Now he can use his arms. :)

Understanding a game plan and improving awareness shouldn't be hard either as being a center back you need to be aware of all dangers in front of you while organizing the team, Center backs and Goalkeepers are often the best leaders in soccer and this is instilled in kids from an early age.

Like Basketball I think Soccer qualities will translate into AFL footy easily.

I'm excited to watch him develop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back