AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually James Stewart? Or just a wax model or his exhumed corpse or something? It’s literally the first sign of him I’ve seen in about 6 months
Saw him at the cricket once too. Guy was walking without a limp (although I have no idea whether that means anything).

'Looking to play a half in round 1'

Didn't expect that. Early return I hope we don't push it
Not sure if that counts as early actually. Isn’t the 1 year timeline about returning to senior footy?

so a half in the vfl in round 1, (I assume afl round 1, vfl rounds don’t line up perfectly) build up 20% each week. He’d be pretty much exactly on time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if that counts as early actually. Isn’t the 1 year timeline about returning to senior footy?

so a half in the vfl in round 1, (I assume afl round 1, vfl rounds don’t line up perfectly) build up 20% each week. He’d be pretty much exactly on time?
That might be the math, but with us tied to him for 4 years and the fact he alone shoulders the hope of our future ruck stocks by himself currently, I would hope he takes it extra slow.

Bigger guys and ACLs scare me. Always take a bit longer and the risk of them doing another is higher for longer

Last edited:

Not for big men. He did it in May, having him play a half in the VFL in AFL round 1 is about a month ahead of schedule usually.

ACL is not a 12 month injury. I've always understood the 12 month reference to mean out for a season or the return being the next season.

If it's 12 months it's 12 months to conservatively built full fitness (I.e has played 4 VFL games and is ready to go 12 months later).

The lingering effects, recovery of mobility is what can be a problem and sometimes it's a burn out caused by a lack of work over the preceding 12 months.

Begley, for example, played very early this year and had much better form early on (which then fell away).

ACL is not a 12 month injury. I've always understood the 12 month reference to mean out for a season or the return being the next season.

If it's 12 months it's 12 months to conservatively built full fitness (I.e has played 4 VFL games and is ready to go 12 months later).

The lingering effects, recovery of mobility is what can be a problem and sometimes it's a burn out caused by a lack of work over the preceding 12 months.

Begley, for example, played very early this year and had much better form early on (which then fell away).
It really depends on the individual/ how badly you did your knee. If you have completely blown out where you also have done meniscus damage etc you are more prone to set backs. You don’t want rush back to playing either though, even without set backs the more time the graft has to a-custom to the body the less likely it is that you’ll re rupture. Look what happened to lyden dunn, straight back into a game and blew his knee out straight away.

Seeing Drapes so stoked with being out on the track is fantastic. It's been a long time coming. Hopefully not rushed back in before ready. On the other hand Murphy in and Crow out offers hope of improvement with injury recovery.

Its a great step in his overall recovery and it was nice seeing the boys get around him. I'm sure the club is all about his long term future and not about getting him fit for some predetermined date. Not that he shouldn't aim for a date himself (for motivation) but realistically if it takes an extra month then so be it.

I'll be hoping to see his AFl debut after the bye. May happen before, who knows.

Seeing Drapes so stoked with being out on the track is fantastic. It's been a long time coming. Hopefully not rushed back in before ready. On the other hand Murphy in and Crow out offers hope of improvement with injury recovery.

My favorite part of that video was how much the guys love big Sammy

On track with agility work and off-site gymnastics :think:
“Sam’s done a mountain of work, he’s doing extremely well,” he said.

“He’s working hard on his agility and he’s doing some special training off-site with gymnastics and he’s right on track for where we want him, so he’s doing a great job.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back