Expansion 3rd South Australian Club

Remove this Banner Ad

What part of Adelaide is Norwood based in? Is it a region not touched as much by the Crows and Port? Would they potentially be able to draw similar crowds to what Port do?
Pretty much just in the outskirts of the city centre.
I think if Norwood were to enter the AFL it would be more of a disaster for Adelaide than Port and I'd probably expect them to fight against it. To be honest I just can't see it happening anytime in the near future. The Sanfl would have to disband, or become a significantly less meaningful competition than it already is. Every other Sanfl club would be against it as it would pretty much finish them. Norwood would also probably have to change their whole identity like Port Adelaide did as their colours are identical to Melbourne, which has notoriously created issues.
I just think there'd be too many people fighting against it who would outweigh those who are for it.

If there was a 3rd SA club I could picture them being based in the Barossa and follow the Geelong model. But that would be far, faraway from now as currently the whole population of the Barossa Valley only sits at about 25k so I can't see them being viable at the moment.

I think if Norwood were to enter the AFL it would be more of a disaster for Adelaide than Port and I'd probably expect them to fight against it. To be honest I just can't see it happening anytime in the near future. The Sanfl would have to disband, or become a significantly less meaningful competition than it already is. Every other Sanfl club would be against it as it would pretty much finish them. Norwood would also probably have to change their whole identity like Port Adelaide did as their colours are identical to Melbourne, which has notoriously created issues.
I just think there'd be too many people fighting against it who would outweigh those who are for it.

Too late now. It needed to be that from the start.

Norwood and Port.

When the rivalry and support was huge. Too massive established clubs with long history and support.

THEN later the 3rd license, team for others.

HUGE MISTAKE. Dumb.

The rumour that Dittmar has raised sounds like something either completely made up or some baseless plan spread after a few drinks.
There's almost no way that the AFL would even consider the idea of a 3rd club in SA because it's doubtful the SA market could viably support another club.

The only scenario I could see the AFL considering this is would be if they were desperate for a 20th team (after Tassie) and it ticked all the boxes (such as strong long term backing).

The rumour that Dittmar has raised sounds like something either completely made up or some baseless plan spread after a few drinks.
There's almost no way that the AFL would even consider the idea of a 3rd club in SA because it's doubtful the SA market could viably support another club.

The only scenario I could see the AFL considering this is would be if they were desperate for a 20th team (after Tassie) and it ticked all the boxes (such as strong long term backing).
Plenty of tickets left for the Showdown. Simply no demand for another club.

Too late now. It needed to be that from the start.

Norwood and Port.

When the rivalry and support was huge. Too massive established clubs with long history and support.

THEN later the 3rd license, team for others.

HUGE MISTAKE. Dumb.

Strong disagree with you on this one.

As messy as it was, it is hard to think of a better outcome than what we have in SA.

Port Adelaide were THE massive club in the SANFL and have had to struggle really hard in the AFL. Norwood would have been kangaroos at best and the Crows would be weaker without them.

South Australia needs to double its population first before even considering a 3rd side into the AFL.

If Norwood is to be the next side, then the Crows would be concerned as a large percentage of their member base would have traditionally been Norwood fans.

WA is in a better position to field a third side and possibly an existing club from the WAFL would be the preference.

If Norwood is to be the next side, then the Crows would be concerned as a large percentage of their member base would have traditionally been Norwood fans.
I do wonder if this would still be the case. I honestly don’t know how many of our fans went over to the Crows but I remember at the time a lot didn’t as the Crows were seen as just Cornes and all his Glenelg mates. Most Norwood supporters despised Glenelg as much as Port ( who Norwood at least respected ) When the initially Crows side was made up of Glenelg flogs plenty of Norwood folk chose other AFL clubs. Even now I don’t know too many Norwood supporters who follow the Crows and the farce of their reserves team in the SANFL has created further dislike for them. As it’s been so long now I doubt Crows members would jump ship

Interesting story. Norwood have a mission statement to always strive to be in the AFL I believe. They put in a bid with Sturt when Port was trying to get in. Combined they had more money, sponsors, and fans than Port, but Port had the fame and were always the chosen ones by the AFL. I believe the floated names were East Adelaide Bluelegs or Royals. A Norwood or Norwood/Sturt (preferably) team would be great, maybe playing in a renovated boutique Norwood Oval, however the team would probably decimate the Crows, and to a much lesser extent Port's supporter bases.

Best solution would be to just get rid of the Thebarton Crows. ;)

Interesting story. Norwood have a mission statement to always strive to be in the AFL I believe. They put in a bid with Sturt when Port was trying to get in. Combined they had more money, sponsors, and fans than Port, but Port had the fame and were always the chosen ones by the AFL. I believe the floated names were East Adelaide Bluelegs or Royals. A Norwood or Norwood/Sturt (preferably) team would be great, maybe playing in a renovated boutique Norwood Oval, however the team would probably decimate the Crows, and to a much lesser extent Port's supporter bases.

A Norwood/ Sturt combo would be good. Both teams home grounds are near the Adelaide City.

A Southern based side could work. The means getting local talent from Glenelg, south Adelaide and Sturt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:

I notice on your profile it says you support Port in the AFL but Sturt in the SANFL. I was under the impression almost all of Port's fans were Magpies people and that almost everyone else jumped on the Crows. What do you think would be the percentage of SA people who don't support either of the 2 SA teams or who would potentially jump off the Crows if a Norwood or a merged Norwood and Sturt came in?

I do agree the formation of the crows has really handicapped any other SA expansion. They’re a quasi state side that appeals to every casual SA footy fan. It was hard enough for Port being the second team in. I think a third SA club would flop.

Strong disagree with you on this one.

As messy as it was, it is hard to think of a better outcome than what we have in SA.

Port Adelaide were THE massive club in the SANFL and have had to struggle really hard in the AFL. Norwood would have been kangaroos at best and the Crows would be weaker without them.

Norwood were not far off them back in the day were they not??? Thought they both the big in the SANFL. It was the Carlton v Collingwood of the SANFL.

Port had a few more premierships but as far as $$ and supporters go, they were similar no??

Fair enough if you disagree but I personally take two real established football clubs with a hundred years of rivalry and history and passionate supporters over the sunday lunch plastic franchise every day of week. IMO way better.

If AFL is confident Tassie will come good, which they apparently are, they'd definitely be vetting bids for a 20th team - having 19 clubs and a weekly bye isn't ideal for anyone.
Actually 19 teams works really well. 10 time slots is too many - was already have four weekly games that overlap. And we already have two byes per season, so they would not change.

I notice on your profile it says you support Port in the AFL but Sturt in the SANFL. I was under the impression almost all of Port's fans were Magpies people and that almost everyone else jumped on the Crows. What do you think would be the percentage of SA people who don't support either of the 2 SA teams or who would potentially jump off the Crows if a Norwood or a merged Norwood and Sturt came in?
I'm guessing maybe 10-25% of SA footy fans support a non-SA AFL team.

I would say given Norwood and Sturt have the biggest SANFL supporter bases outside of Port, and most support the Crows (though this is falling), a Norwood/Sturt AFL team would really damage the Crows. Particularly when the Crows STILL do not have a home base and are planning one at Thebarton - which is literally the closest SANFL oval to Alberton! These two clubs (Port/West Torrens) were so close they combined during World Wars. This decision is very unpopular with many at AFC.

A Norwood/Sturt AFL team would instantly have a home base (Norwood), history, completely different area of Adelaide, and a very different culture to Port and... some serious sponsors (potentially a couple of billionaires).

I'm guessing maybe 10-25% of SA footy fans support a non-SA AFL team.

I would say given Norwood and Sturt have the biggest SANFL supporter bases outside of Port, and most support the Crows (though this is falling), a Norwood/Sturt AFL team would really damage the Crows. Particularly when the Crows STILL do not have a home base and are planning one at Thebarton - which is literally the closest SANFL oval to Alberton! These two clubs (Port/West Torrens) were so close they combined during World Wars. This decision is very unpopular with many at AFC.

A Norwood/Sturt AFL team would instantly have a home base (Norwood), history, completely different area of Adelaide, and a very different culture to Port and... some serious sponsors (potentially a couple of billionaires).
Sounds exciting. It seems WAFL clubs don’t seem to have equivalents to Melbourne’s big 4 or Port/Norwood. It would be good to have more of a national league with some authentic WA and SA teams in there rather than those franchises the Eagles and Crows. If they could find a way to put in a Darwin team, Tassie team and then one each in WA and SA I think that’d be the league done. Moving GWS to Canberra too but the league are way too stubborn

Actually 19 teams works really well. 10 time slots is too many - was already have four weekly games that overlap. And we already have two byes per season, so they would not change.
9 may be too many you could argue but there's no going back and 10 is an easy add on: Thursday night just becomes a regular time slot every week.

Sounds most unlikely and we haven't any evidence of any serious proposal from Norwood.
I'd be interested in is Port's reaction. Crows would be dead against, they would lose a chunk of their supporter base (though the number of Redlegs diehards is not what it was in 1990). But I suspect Port would be against this theoretical third team as well -- it just dilutes the market.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back