Expansion 3rd Western Australian club

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne is in a city with many other 100 year old suburban clubs to compete for support against. Its a generational thing.

Sydney, Brisbane & Adelaide all have the biggest supporter bases in their respective cities. Hahaha. ;)
Because they were first to market, like WC. By the earliest possible time we get WA3 (say, 2030), both WC (43 years) and Freo (36) are also generational.

Melbourne is in a city with many other 100 year old suburban clubs to compete for support against. Its a generational thing.

Sydney, Brisbane & Adelaide all have the biggest supporter bases in their respective cities. Hahaha. ;)
And the Perth Eagles would still be the biggest club in Australia. I'm not saying the name Perth is a turnoff, just that the name alone isn't going to attract many fans from other clubs.

If WA3 is going to work, it needs to have a strong identity.

What about giving the WA3 team a training base next to Stirling Station.

Either on the Transperth car parks, or on the IKEA site. I seem to remember hearing something about them moving. Puts it close to both the shopping centre and the train station.

And then move Subiaco Lions in to use it as their WAFL field like the Perth Demons do with the WCE. Meaning Subiaco no longer need to share Leederville Oval with East Perth, and puts them closer to their catchment area.

fb69ebe310365648eecdeb589f236f13.jpg

6a630b12aa4da5584f95c0b9613a5a63.jpg

5. To grow the game in NSW, I would be doing a deal with NSW that the GF is played in Sydney when the Southern Stand @ MCG is rebuilt (around 2030) on the condition that Newcastle and Woolongong get 11K - 12K stadiums, and ANZ remains oval.
I really like this idea, although if Sydney’s gonna get a GF, I want Adelaide to have one, too. Make it an Olympiad event where states pay for the rights every four years. Adelaide 2026, Sydney 2030, Brisbane 2034 at their new stadium, Perth 2038. There is something special about Saturday arvo at the G but it’s not the end of Vic footy as we know it if they don’t host it every single year.

But back on topic, you never know what the AFL is going to do. Western Sydney and Gold Coast weren’t secondary markets but they got teams. That was because of their massive populations and wanting weekly games in NSW and QLD, though. Now those boxes are ticked, you’d think the likes of Newcastle and NQLD aren’t going to get teams until they’re playing 4-5 games a year there with good results.

I really like this idea, although if Sydney’s gonna get a GF, I want Adelaide to have one, too. Make it an Olympiad event where states pay for the rights every four years. Adelaide 2026, Sydney 2030, Brisbane 2034 at their new stadium, Perth 2038. There is something special about Saturday arvo at the G but it’s not the end of Vic footy as we know it if they don’t host it every single year.

But back on topic, you never know what the AFL is going to do. Western Sydney and Gold Coast weren’t secondary markets but they got teams. That was because of their massive populations and wanting weekly games in NSW and QLD, though. Now those boxes are ticked, you’d think the likes of Newcastle and NQLD aren’t going to get teams until they’re playing 4-5 games a year there with good results.

The AFL has contracted the GF to the MCG for the next 6000 years, except in case of pandemic or meteor strike on Melbourne.;)

Newcastle is a very strong NRL area. It'd take a few $100millions & 50 years to maybe change that a bit.

I'd think the WAFL will continue as is. A competition for reserves to play in & for developing talent. ie players, coaches & umpires.

Most WAFL fans see the WAFL as it always has been a community competition - albeit well down from it's former glory.
Treating the WAFL as a reserves competition or a development competition is a recipe for extinction.
Having two AFL sides in the WAFL (and SANFL) seems to be a good compromise.

What about giving the WA3 team a training base next to Stirling Station.

Either on the Transperth car parks, or on the IKEA site. I seem to remember hearing something about them moving. Puts it close to both the shopping centre and the train station.

And then move Subiaco Lions in to use it as their WAFL field like the Perth Demons do with the WCE. Meaning Subiaco no longer need to share Leederville Oval with East Perth, and puts them closer to their catchment area.

fb69ebe310365648eecdeb589f236f13.jpg

6a630b12aa4da5584f95c0b9613a5a63.jpg

This was thrown into the mix for the new stadium at one stage but was rejected because it wasn't in Perth.
An excellent proposal for Subiaco and football in general but as an AFL ground it is in the very heart of Eagles territory.
It's Eagles and even Dockers but not "Perth".

The AFL has contracted the GF to the MCG for the next 6000 years, except in case of pandemic or meteor strike on Melbourne.;)

Newcastle is a very strong NRL area. It'd take a few $100millions & 50 years to maybe change that a bit.
Yeah, I know, unless the Victorian government is willing to take the stick out of their arse and sell a GF every four years to each of the four non-Vic states on a rotational basis. But there's more chance of that meteor strike happening.

Agreed. As much as I bet the AFL would like a Newcastle team, I can't see it happening. Same as NQLD. Canberra would be my 20th team if they want one. NT as the 21st team if they ever become viable, and put the bye to good use. 9 games, 3 teams have a bye, double up Friday night, giving Optus and Adelaide Oval more Friday night exposure and by that stage, the new Gabba stadium and maybe a new Sydney stadium. The Tassie one too if it's nice.

This was thrown into the mix for the new stadium at one stage but was rejected because it wasn't in Perth.

It looks like it got a pretty good score, except for the access. I feel like they were a bit harsh on the road and rail access, since it is next to a freeway and a train station which is used as a bus interchange.

The Stirling option is third from right. I hope it comes up clear enough for you to be able to read. This is from the Stadium Taskforce Report, which I downloaded about a year ago when using the Wayback Machine.

IMG_9815.JPG

IMG_9816.JPG

But I guess as an AFL training facility only and a WAFL ground (with the WA3 team playing at Optus Stadium), the location would do well.

I feel like they were a bit harsh on the road and rail access, since it is next to a freeway and a train station which is used as a bus interchange.

About as attractive as the Cockburn option.

But I guess as an AFL training facility only and a WAFL ground (with the WA3 team playing at Optus Stadium), the location would do well.

The Eagles should have developed here, then Lathlain could have been used for a WA3 with an emphasis to the east.

Agreed. As much as I bet the AFL would like a Newcastle team, I can't see it happening.

Well, first they have to start playing games there. Newcastle is very old Australian Football.

same as NQLD.

NQld is actually doing OK. I'm surprised by the amount of AFCs there, however there's just a lack of sizeable cities to make it work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think it will. If there’s a 20th team, it’ll be Canberra. But we could be sitting on 19 teams for 10 years+ after Tassie.
Tassie aint gunna happenthis time round.
Though they deserve it, they will not be able to meet what Gil and the AFL want and demand.
And even with that not happening....... A third team in WA will not happen either.

I’ve come to like the name Perth Snakes. As there are no Perth teams. And in recognition of the Wagyl, the indigenous Dreamtime rainbow serpent that formed the Swan River and other landscapes of the Perth and south west region.

Don’t mind this. I got Subiaco Serpents. Gold, maroon and black.
Make black the dominant colour to diferentiate from the Queensland teams.

Don’t mind this. I got Subiaco Serpents. Gold, maroon and black.
Make black the dominant colour to diferentiate from the Queensland teams.
To continue on the discussion on WA3 AFL Club and its possible future location an article in todays West paper in the real estate section has an article Headed --Exponential growth in north-west corridor. The word exponential means -of an increase -becoming more and more rapid.
That sums up the area quite well and it appears booming sales figures for property and land in the City of Wanneroo reflect the expansion in the City.
The north-west coastal development in the City in particular has produced 160 percent growth since January 2022, and that is where most of the new migrants will end up. They love their access to beaches and the LA lifestyle.
A new City centre is planned for the end of the rail project in Yanchep and the line will reach Yanchep in late 2023. The freeway is trailing somewhat behind but will get there eventually.
This area will have to be included in any serious future footy projects and the current thinking of basing everything around the city environs is outdated, and I seriously doubt if the will to do anything is there at this time of small town thinking which is very prevelant in Perth.
So there will be a new large region eventually from Joondalup to Yanchep that will need some serious footy action.

To continue on the discussion on WA3 AFL Club and its possible future location an article in todays West paper in the real estate section has an article Headed --Exponential growth in north-west corridor. The word exponential means -of an increase -becoming more and more rapid.
That sums up the area quite well and it appears booming sales figures for property and land in the City of Wanneroo reflect the expansion in the City.
The north-west coastal development in the City in particular has produced 160 percent growth since January 2022, and that is where most of the new migrants will end up. They love their access to beaches and the LA lifestyle.
A new City centre is planned for the end of the rail project in Yanchep and the line will reach Yanchep in late 2023. The freeway is trailing somewhat behind but will get there eventually.
This area will have to be included in any serious future footy projects and the current thinking of basing everything around the city environs is outdated, and I seriously doubt if the will to do anything is there at this time of small town thinking which is very prevelant in Perth.
So there will be a new large region eventually from Joondalup to Yanchep that will need some serious footy action.

Do you think it possible to have an AFL team based in the Northern area of Greater Perth, & play its games at Optus Stadium?

it Happens in Melbourne where 9 clubs share 2 stadiums in the inner city. Also Geelong plays its major games at the MCG.

Perth have the population for a third team.

Fremantle is half the club of West Coast in terms of supporters and revenue. $90m vs $44m and fan ratio of 2:1

A third team would be half of Fremantle. The supporter base and revenue would be at Suns and Giants levels.

The third WA club would need $20m from the AFL to survive.

That’s interesting. I used to live up that way. Just keeps exploding further and further north. You could definitely make that area into a Gold Coast-lite attraction. If you had enough cash and property developers.

not really.....

Western Australias population is 2.84 millionn or 2,840,000. Its growing by 1% or 30-35,000 a year. so within 4-5 years, that will hit 3 million

So?

Just because Victoria supports 10 teams doesn't mean we need to match them on a per capita basis when not all of those Victorian clubs are sustainable without substantial handouts.

It's like looking at the populations of NSW or Queensland and thinking a second team would be a great idea.

Wait.

Once Freo start packing out Optus even when they're rubbish, and have a waitlist for membership, maybe then we can revisit because then we know the demand is actually there.

So?

Just because Victoria supports 10 teams doesn't mean we need to match them on a per capita basis when not all of those Victorian clubs are sustainable without substantial handouts.

It's like looking at the populations of NSW or Queensland and thinking a second team would be a great idea.

Wait.

Once Freo start packing out Optus even when they're rubbish, and have a waitlist for membership, maybe then we can revisit because then we know the demand is actually there.
I still look back at that 2003-17 period when freo hosted games at Subiaco oval. That ground only held 43,000 seats.

Dockers were profitable every year from 2013-17. Making finals in 2003 and challenging for finals from 2003-7 helped. Dockers narrowly missed out on finals in 2004 and 2005 but the crowds stayed consistent in that era. Freo averaged 37,000 people in per home game in 2007, that was partially off the back of finals success in 2006.

Every other year from 2003-17, dockers always averaged around 30,000 people. So 2/3rds of the ground was filled out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back