Delisted #41: Cian McBride ☘️ - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have any idea of what role he eventually will play?
KPD who can play a chop out forward and hold the ruck for 5 or 6 minutes a quarter. Needs a really consistent year. He has some scope to work with but has lacked a week in and week out consistent game.

Does he exist? It's a now or never year.

Keeping him while showing the door to Brand and Eyre means they see something right?
He's quicker and a better mark than both.

do you see him making it?
No. They made a mistake in moving him into defence last year IMO, looks much more natural forward, if he had that continuity I'd be much more bullish on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cian McBride​

10 disposals, three marks, two tackles

Cian did a little bit of back and ruck work for us. He worked hard when he was on the ground and his follow up around the ball was encouraging.

I think this experiment has extended it's stay. Likely dead and buried at years end
I don't think the whole Irish experiment is really worth it TBH. People always jump at the whole "it's free" but that's really only draft capital. It doesn't include scouting, additional coaching etc. And after that the players are easy come easy go.

It's been 40ish years, and you can probably count the success stories on one hand.

I don't think the whole Irish experiment is really worth it TBH. People always jump at the whole "it's free" but that's really only draft capital. It doesn't include scouting, additional coaching etc. And after that the players are easy come easy go.

It's been 40ish years, and you can probably count the success stories on one hand.
Stynes, Clarke, Kennelly, McKenna, Hanley, Tuohy, O'Connor and Nash you could all argue were/are successful

twice as many misses as there have been hits imho

the hits are bloody good players though hence the obsession to continue pillaging the pool
Well yeah, but that's similar to most drafts.

I still think we should have persisted with him forward.

Stynes, Clarke, Kennelly, McKenna, Hanley, Tuohy, O'Connor and Nash you could all argue were/are successful
McKenna & Tuohy not great success for the clubs that Cat B'd them. Players that leave you and put a hole in your plans is one of the risks. Clarke left and came back, while the pies won a flag that's not ideal.

Last edited:
He was worth the risk as a rookie. I think what Eth has said is right. He showed more as a forward and some of his ruck efforts last year where not horrible but he has fallen short. It happens more often than not with rookies.

Interesting to hear the guy running the current training camp in Ireland say they are looking more at 186 - 190 cm types with speed and endurance as the preferred player type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back