41 days on, and do you know what sh!#$ me?!*

Remove this Banner Ad

A part of me feels that maybe it wasn't ours to win this year. It had been 6 years since we were even in finals. Majority of these players didn't know how that felt, and the others, probably had forgotten. Maybe this year was not about winning the GF, but rather digging into finals. If we were just holding on in the GF, then we probably didn't deserve to win it. WC probably were the better on the day, something we may not wish to accept, but unfortunately it feels like the truth.

But now our players know what it takes to get there, though it was cut short; I think they'll do everything to get that emotion and feeling back once more. They'll be twice the team they were this year. They'll hopefully have that extra bit of hunger to not just "hold on" but to fight for it, to win it because they were the best on the day and deserves it.

Is that we played some outstanding footy in that GF... there were huge highlights for us, amazing pieces of play and moments pf which we should be proud, and be able to look back on, and to get fired up about next season...

... and yet I will never, ever watch that game again. Such a waste.

Stevo’s first goal.
Varcs’ first goal.
De Goey’s don’t argue and goal.
Cox’s second half (USA! USA!)
WHE’s sprint and dive for the mark.
De Goey’s bomb from outside 50m.
Mihocek’s goal in the last.

*This is aside, of course from the fact we missed the chance to go to 16 flags and the undisputed most successful VFL/AFL club ever...
Why would you bring this up again!

I think I would have been less upset if we had gotten to the GF and been absolutely pumped, like Sydney in 2014 and WCE of 2015 or even Adelaide of 2017, because in this situation it was such a surprise we even made it, unlike the other teams aforementioned who were favourites at the beginning. It’s that we were two minutes away from winning after West Coast had missed some easy shots, and the one shot that they hit is this ridiculous drop punt from the hardest angle on the f****** boundary. The other part is that we lead by 5 goals at the start.

I’m not angry with West Coast for winning, I’m upset that we lost in such a Collingwood fashion.

Is that we played some outstanding footy in that GF... there were huge highlights for us, amazing pieces of play and moments pf which we should be proud, and be able to look back on, and to get fired up about next season...

Stevo’s first goal.
Varcs’ first goal.

*This is aside, of course from the fact we missed the chance to go to 16 flags and the undisputed most successful VFL/AFL club ever...
Sucks man, i've never rewatched a losing Collingwood game, and i never will, i was brought to tears by the courage of our boys in the 2002 GF, but i just can't bring myself to re-live it, same as this year.

Worst part is i only caught snippets of this years game, son had a squad basketball tournament so i donned head phones and gave the boy constant (some say to constant) updates whilst he was playing lol, but * them.

Fairly spewing. That burst in the last quarter was only broken up by then throwing a freebie to Vardy straight out of the ruck. One of those moments where you just sense the air go out of the balloon. Even after Coxy's effort, they seemed to have their tails up, but to not pay the Ryan hold, even when it took a good kick from Sheed, in the last few minutes, was putrid.

I dreamed about it for a good fortnight afterwards, every night, every time we won. Had one dream I was being heckled by Eagles fans. Absolute flogs those people.

I am either sensing, or hoping with delusions of grandeur, that 2019 we go one better. We did bloody well to make the big dance. But that doesn't mean I will be doing the review of it any time.....EVER.

I have rewatched the game in full and actually found it actually helped dull the pain.

Upon rewatching we were lucky to get out to such a lead, and then were basically just trying to hold on as the Eagles outplayed us basically all game.

I still thought the quick burst to start Q4 would break there back, but not to be.

It still stings as we were so close, but the feeling of being robbed has gone...if we won we would have ‘pinched’ one.

Spot on - it's still very raw but it's worse than all of the ones I've witnessed - 2002/3 & 2011. The season as a whole was a massive achievement, but that doesn't make it hurt less..
Personally I still think that 2011 is the one that gets to me the most. We really dropped the ball back then imo. This one still hurts, don't get me wrong. The sad thing about this one was thinking from about 1/4 time onwards that we were going to get run over, and then watching it eventuate. I've basically zoned out from all things football since, but will no doubt get the enthusiasm back once draft time comes and pre-season training starts.

Personally I still think that 2011 is the one that gets to me the most. We really dropped the ball back then imo. This one still hurts, don't get me wrong. The sad thing about this one was thinking from about 1/4 time onwards that we were going to get run over, and then watching it eventuate. I've basically zoned out from all things football since, but will no doubt get the enthusiasm back once draft time comes and pre-season training starts.

2011 having unfit players sure did prove our undoing.

2011 having unfit players sure did prove our undoing.
yep. And to be honest, 2011 was the one time in my lifetime when I reckon we had the most clearly dominant side in the comp. Most of the other GF losses we probably punched above our weight a bit, beaten by classier sides. I still think "What should have been" when it comes to 2011

yep. And to be honest, 2011 was the one time in my lifetime when I reckon we had the most clearly dominant side in the comp. Most of the other GF losses we probably punched above our weight a bit, beaten by classier sides. I still think "What should have been" when it comes to 2011
Persisting with a clearly injured Reid against a rampaging Tomahawk was rank stupidity - only one person to blame for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% Agree we had the team to do it that year,
In a way i am stoked we made it this far in 2018,And exceeded my expectations beyond my wildest dreams.
And to be honest i doubted we would make the 8
Persisting with a clearly injured Reid against a rampaging Tomahawk was rank stupidity - only one person to blame for that.

Jolly was never right also that hurt us.

Stevo’s first goal.
Varcs’ first goal.

I keep toying with the idea of watching it again. Then I realise it will only bring pain. I still don't get how we lost it after that opening.

Haven't been able to watch more than brief flashes of certain moments before consciously turning off.

The memory of the day that's seared into my mind is leaving the ground - the moment we got out of the gate at ground level we almost ran smack bang into Murray Swinton, passing by in his wheelchair, tears streaming down his face.

My heart still breaks today.

Totally agree. Tarrant was there waiting....
Exactly; Pods had already gone off. For some reason in GFs, other teams losing players actually hurts us. The same thing happened in 2010 when Gardiner went down for the Saints. Koschitzke went into the ruck and the Saints nearly snatched it.

Exactly; Pods had already gone off. For some reason in GFs, other teams losing players actually hurts us. The same thing happened in 2010 when Gardiner went down for the Saints. Koschitzke went into the ruck and the Saints nearly snatched it.

And against Brisbane in 2002 one of their ruckmen went down early but they became even more dominant in the ruck.

What now gets lost is Goldsacks amazing spoil on Ryan just before McGoverns mark. He attacked that with gusto his body ramming Ryan’s which prevented a certain goal as they were open. That led to Treloar getting the ball who’s left foot kick was slightly to high for Mihocek (who also bloody had 2 of Jettas hands wrapped around him while he wasn’t watching the ball!) which McGovern marked. That ball goes out of bounds in our 50 and we may have hung on. A whole bunch of painful what f***** ifs. I agree with an earlier comment that we were 5 up on the back of not being dominant and it was always holding back the tide, first 2 goals in last aside. I watched the last 20 mins but the worst thing I did was watch on the couch. The dissection was the worst part.

Damn, this thread connects with me so much. I still have fantastic memories from the day. I just can't watch them again and not have the result burn in my mind as I watch them. I click out of most videos that have footage from the game.

That feeling in the last two minutes I was just numb. Sitting in my seat on the verge of tears with the Eagles theme song blaring around the ground was completely devastating. I stayed in my seat while Eagle Rock was blasted out of the speakers to support Pendles during his speech but honestly can't remember a word he said.

So many moments of individual brilliance I doubt I'll ever be able to enjoy just because of the result. The only antidote will be a premiership in 2019 or 2020. That's the only way I think I'll ever be able to enjoy watching any part of the 2018 GF again.

I can still completely enjoy the Richmond win.

I still haven’t watched the replay, just the one highlight of De Goey’s snap goal in the first quarter when he side steps Hurn and McGovern I think it was.

I just watched the highlights of the Prelim and I had the biggest grin on my face, but I still can’t express the bitter sweet feeling of sticking it up so many people week after week after week but ultimately falling one kick short.

They’re just so hard to come by and just missing out in 2018 doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll be there again in 2019, but it’s an exciting time ahead and I hope in the near future we can make amends and win it a la West Coast in 15/18.

I watch the De Goey goals a lot. They’re in a clip by themselves on YouTube and it is extraordinary. He’s a superhero.

I’m still really upbeat about 2018. West Coast flat out deserved their flag, and we came from nowhere to nearly pinch it. This team improves next year and likely fields 6-7 top 50 players in the comp.

Cannot wait.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Damn, this thread connects with me so much. I still have fantastic memories from the day. I just can't watch them again and not have the result burn in my mind as I watch them. I click out of most videos that have footage from the game.

That feeling in the last two minutes I was just numb. Sitting in my seat on the verge of tears with the Eagles theme song blaring around the ground was completely devastating. I stayed in my seat while Eagle Rock was blasted out of the speakers to support Pendles during his speech but honestly can't remember a word he said.

So many moments of individual brilliance I doubt I'll ever be able to enjoy just because of the result. The only antidote will be a premiership in 2019 or 2020. That's the only way I think I'll ever be able to enjoy watching any part of the 2018 GF again.

I can still completely enjoy the Richmond win.
You were braver than me. I couldn't force myself to stay for the speeches/presentations. I left somewhere the song. It was just too hard to stay. I basically wanted to get out of there, and given I was on Level 4... it took a while.

But the prelim game. Now that's a game I can, and have watched many times. It cheers me up on a number of occasions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back