41 days on, and do you know what sh!#$ me?!*

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly; Pods had already gone off. For some reason in GFs, other teams losing players actually hurts us. The same thing happened in 2010 when Gardiner went down for the Saints. Koschitzke went into the ruck and the Saints nearly snatched it.

Or in 2002 when Charman went down early and Keating comes into the ruck and plays a blinder.

Is that we played some outstanding footy in that GF... there were huge highlights for us, amazing pieces of play and moments pf which we should be proud, and be able to look back on, and to get fired up about next season...

... and yet I will never, ever watch that game again. Such a waste.

Stevo’s first goal.
Varcs’ first goal.
De Goey’s don’t argue and goal.
Cox’s second half (USA! USA!)
WHE’s sprint and dive for the mark.
De Goey’s bomb from outside 50m.
Mihocek’s goal in the last.

*This is aside, of course from the fact we missed the chance to go to 16 flags and the undisputed most successful VFL/AFL club ever...

Watch the first quarter then turn it off.

Yes to this day it smells like spite - he knew that leaving Reid on was football suicide and his spiteful nature overcome his desire for another flag.
Come on man, there’s no way he’d do that, his ego alone wouldn’t allow it. Another flag to add to his legacy? He’s stubborn but he’s not an idiot.

Come on man, there’s no way he’d do that, his ego alone wouldn’t allow it. Another flag to add to his legacy? He’s stubborn but he’s not an idiot.
You underestimate the power of spite TRS - I've seen people cost themselves big time JUST to get even with someone - and there is no doubt he was a vindictive and spiteful person.

Mick winning 2011 would have been the bigger act of spite, because it would have put us in the even less enviable --and frankly absurd-- position of having to move on a back-to-back coach. Unfortunately, Mick couldn't manage to be so nasty...

At peace with it all. Never dreamed we would come that far , we were not supposed and yet there we were. Against WCE who had already beaten us twice and had their share of injuries.
Have watched some highlights of the first half as for things to look fwd to in 2019 when we do turn it on.

Mick winning 2011 would have been the bigger act of spite, because it would have put us in the even less enviable --and frankly absurd-- position of having to move on a back-to-back coach. Unfortunately, Mick couldn't manage to be so nasty...
Rubbish spite knows no reason - he saw the opportunity to hurt the club and took it on the spot.

The moment that shits me most...

Is how Nathan ******* Vardy was allowed to take a walk-up mark to bring the Eagles back into it after our first two burst goals in the final quarter. Such an anticlimactic moment and it is one that truely murdered our stride.

Also Treloar kicking it to the flank instead of inbounds with two minutes to go. Ugh.

Rubbish spite knows no reason - he saw the opportunity to hurt the club and took it on the spot.

I think that your view on the matter is a strange one, but I'm happy to leave you to it.

And I respect yours - I've seen a number of cases where people just simply take out their spite despite what it costs them.

I don't want to clog up a 2018 thread with Malty, because the man's ego hardly needs another feed. Still, for all of Mick's faults I don't think that anyone should seriously question his competitive instincts. Losing games of footy was deeply unnatural to Mick.

As for 2011, the tears of relief he cried in the coaching box after the preliminary against Hawthorn was fairly compelling evidence of how much it all meant to him, or at least more compelling than the idea that he'd sabotage his own success in order to spite the club.

I just wish we would occasionally steal one. We never seem to win when we aren’t the better team. Well, not is the last 50 years. The killer is we almost certainly won’t make it next season. It’s so tough just to get there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that we played some outstanding footy in that GF... there were huge highlights for us, amazing pieces of play and moments pf which we should be proud, and be able to look back on, and to get fired up about next season...

... and yet I will never, ever watch that game again. Such a waste.

Stevo’s first goal.
Varcs’ first goal.
De Goey’s don’t argue and goal.
Cox’s second half (USA! USA!)
WHE’s sprint and dive for the mark.
De Goey’s bomb from outside 50m.
Mihocek’s goal in the last.

*This is aside, of course from the fact we missed the chance to go to 16 flags and the undisputed most successful VFL/AFL club ever...
Great post.

And so very true.

Haven’t watched a moment of footage since it happened.

I still remember trying to get out of the top deck after the siren but the walkways filled up and I was stuck there. Eagle rock was playing over and over and I was thinking “Please, someone get me out of here”. I stared at my feet for several minutes while I waited for the crowd to start moving. I snuck one peek out at the ground again but the sight of our players lying flat on the ground while WC players and officials celebrated was too much for me.

I haven’t read one match report or watched one moment of footage yet, but I’ve thought about it every day since.

I think when Pre-season starts it will get easier, but this feeling just sucks.

Yes to this day it smells like spite - he knew that leaving Reid on was football suicide and his spiteful nature overcome his desire for another flag.

It was in his interest to leave with a flag as a stuff you, I won a flag and you dumped me. During the back half of the year he couldn’t help himself but no way would you sabotage yourself in a GF

It was his own stupidity that cost us that flag. Having Fas as the sub was dumb, we had several backline players underdone or with a question mark. Yet for some reason we don’t select Goldsack who the most versatile player on our list as the sub.

Didak playing on Scarlet made no sense, again a role Goldsack could’ve played.

But leaving Reid on one leg to play on Hawkins was just sheer stupidity. Reid should’ve been subbed or at worst taken off Hawkins and played as spare man.

He’ll say Tarrant had taken Stevie J out of the game. But to not make the move when every single person watching the game knew it needed to be made was classic Mick stubbornness.

This isnt the end of the line for this team, it's just the start. It was a grand final out of nowhere. Now I've seen what some of our boys are capable of I'm looking forward to 2019 much more than I have since 2011 era.
Get excited about the midfield, De Goey and the "swoop squad" and the possibility of not being flogged by injury

The onLy thing that upsets me is missing a gifted opportunity.
Yes, we appear ahead of schedule, but GF’s don’t get any easier to get to just because you think you can get better.
I’m interested in how the rule changes will affect us in 2019. Especially the Hands In The Back rule. Can people now lift themselves into Cox’s shoulders with their hands, keeping him on the ground? Or can they give a slight shove with both hands and go unpunished?
This will be the biggest change in the game and I don’t see how it will help us.

I read the opening post of this thread the day it was posted but held off replying. Honestly just reading the post made me feel sad.
That loss was brutal. Too many what ifs, especially after our first quarter. Just never know if we'll be there again for another 10 years or more.

I just wish we would occasionally steal one. We never seem to win when we aren’t the better team. Well, not is the last 50 years. The killer is we almost certainly won’t make it next season. It’s so tough just to get there.

Exactly. Had to grab the moment when it arrived. Being beaten by a so called better side doesn't make it OK. By the way, I think we were favorites coming into the GF.

With an ever evolving competition, the ability to navigate into another GF the following year will be extremely difficult, no matter how good/improved the side becomes. The odds suggest it is difficult (unless you Hawthorn). Yes of course the club needs to move forward, but a possible once in a professional lifetime golden opportunity was not taken.

Think what hurts most for me is for the most part in any given year, when it comes to the Grand Final there is really only 1 team good enough to win, and they usually get the job done. Crows clearly not up to it last year, Swans aswell, every year Hawthorn won it felt like that was always coming. Nothing against the teams that didn't win, but you always got the feeling they just weren't quite on that level.

We were up by 5 goals. We led for 110 minutes. We kicked the opening 2 goals in the 4th in a tied game.We were good enough and we didn't win. To me that's what hurts the most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back