Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

The only Essendon player that shows genuine grunt and toughness. Im sick of our team being too nice to the opposition. When they tackle, they should be aiming to dig their head into the dirt, therefore making the opposition afraid of getting the footy. But 95% want to maintain that 'good guy' status and not show aggression. By not showing aggression, the opposition then feels more confidence when getting the ball because they know we're weak and won't hurt them. Honestly, those who have played juinors should know that even under 12s are taught to play with grunt and aggression. Why the * can't these professional players do this. Makes me sad to support such a soft team.

We should all appreciate the attitude that Smith brings to every game. Every player on out list should learn from him.

Would like to see him become that 30-35 possession player rather than 20-25. I recognise that it’s offset by his defensive work but I think he has it in him to be that and a bit more.

I’m not sure he will, I think he’s the kind of guy that will usually hit the 20-25 with his tackles, defensive work and repeat efforts a really important element.

Merrett is our accumulator, we just need to balance his role in the team to maximise the opportunities for him to use his kicking more to our advantage.

I’m not sure he will, I think he’s the kind of guy that will usually hit the 20-25 with his tackles, defensive work and repeat efforts a really important element.

Merrett is our accumulator, we just need to balance his role in the team to maximise the opportunities for him to use his kicking more to our advantage.
You might be right but nevertheless I still believe Smith can get to the next level with a bit more experience as a pure mid and hit the 30 possies consistently. The reason I say this is because he can get his own ball and doesn’t just rely on the feed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor bloke feel sorry for him walking into this rabble.

Can you imagine our tacking numbers without this bloke in the team

No way don’t feel sorry for him these conditions have turned him into a star!

He was a bit in the shadows at GWS, not entirely - but he is central at the Bombers. 1st picked. He is leading the way with the next generation.

It wont always be darkness around here mate. It can and will change. He is going to lead that change.

[QUOTE="Mad Bomber Sean, post: 55673126, member: 65610

It wont always be darkness around here mate. It can and will change. He is going to lead that change.[/QUOTE]

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. He is more likely to adopt other players habits than the other way.

[QUOTE="Mad Bomber Sean, post: 55673126, member: 65610

It wont always be darkness around here mate. It can and will change. He is going to lead that change.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. He is more likely to adopt other players habits than the other way.[/QUOTE]

Profoundly disagree.

He is signficiantly above the rest of the team in terms of impact & consistent efforts.

The bloke has heaps of talent but also works his arse off.
He is setting an example not following a poor one.

If you don’t see that, perhaps it’s time to get an eye check

Remove this Banner Ad

Back