Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

This bloke has it all as a footballer:
He is a mutt
Is tough (a mutt)
Leads by example
Has no fear
Hunts the man
And gets a bit of the ball along the way
Star

Is he a better player than Dylan Shiel?

I have no recollection of him being anywhere near as aggressive or complete a player as he is for us while at the Giants but must admit i stayed away from the Giants and their Uber drafts only giving a side glimpse to them here and there...

He seems exactly what the Giants need yet he has somehow fallen to us...

Astonishing really!

One thing I'm loving too is he infuriates opposition supporters... :D

I have no recollection of him being anywhere near as aggressive or complete a player as he is for us while at the Giants but must admit i stayed away from the Giants and their Uber drafts only giving a side glimpse to them here and there...

Astonishing really!

Geez he'd be close mate. Shiel at his best is probably better but consitantly our boy has him.
In my eyes Shiel is a touch over rated. Just hasn't reached the heights many talk him up too

His want to tackle is ******* amazing. His intent and determination to apply pressure is consistently at 100%.

It's no suprise he is leading the lead in tackles.. he is the bar by which anyones pressure acts and intent should be measured. Elite.

Im very interested in how much IP he has brought with him.
He looks a true professional when i do question sometimes others on our list in that regard.

His standards should and appear to be starting to become the teams standards (obviously the captain also a role in this)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez he'd be close mate. Shiel at his best is probably better but consitantly our boy has him.
In my eyes Shiel is a touch over rated. Just hasn't reached the heights many talk him up too
Shiel is great in the contest but (still) just doesn't have the tank to impact consistently or all over the park. He's a 7th-year player with a rookie's 70% TOG.

Astonishing really!

Interesting comparison. I watched him really closely since he started at GWS and it was clear that he had more pure skill than a lot of the GWS mids. Only Toby Greene, i thought, was better. I have rated him highly for such a long time and I get giddy every time I see him in our jumper.

Dev was pure class last night, so clean & damaging with the ball.
He should genuinely be in contention for a HF position in the AA team. It's a pity they put the overflow of midfielders in those positions though.

Interesting comparison. I watched him really closely since he started at GWS and it was clear that he had more pure skill than a lot of the GWS mids. Only Toby Greene, i thought, was better. I have rated him highly for such a long time and I get giddy every time I see him in our jumper.

I watched a heap of GWS and when he was rumoured to be coming to us i couldn't believe it wasnt a bigger deal. Bit of out of aight out of mind for him and the vic media and our fans.

There was a patch where he was a match winner for them. Bombing goals from 50m and just looked like he wanted the ball in his hands and would sometimes look a bit hungry.

But he never got the plaudits the others got.
Id agree with you on the talented part, both were pushed out of the midfield to forward and though he still performed i dont think Dev ever adapted like Toby did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back