Player Watch #6: George Wardlaw - two-time RS nominee ('23 &'24) - the Warlord - managed vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing in the scoobs didn’t do Tucky, Dipper and various other multiple premiership players any harm
Our ones shouldn’t be a development team anymore
When form demands it promote
That goes for everyone not just the Warlord
Agree. That was when there was an under 19 comp as well. We are recruiting the kids at 18 yrs of age these days with the TAC cup set up. Not many are going to be ready for senior AFL footy untill 3-4 years. Examples on our list alone include, Cunnington, McKay, Larkey, LDU, Bailey Scott, Zurhaar

Aside from the fact he is a completely different footballer to daicos, one which isn’t suited to a high accumulation half back (or back pocket). The reason he will play vfl is that his minutes will be managed.

Wardlaw is currently unfit for a rookie pre season. I wouldn’t think he will play vfl until mid season, and once he does I’m certain it will be under severely reduced/managed minutes.

Wardlaw won’t debut until 2024 at afl level imo.
I thought they were just uncertain on his progression given the nature of hammy recurrence issues. That’s a long way behind in terms of conditioning based on your assessment. I suppose we’ve seen with Taz there is a higher expectation at the club now regarding who’s ready to play (what sort of volume or base you need).

I thought they were just uncertain on his progression given the nature of hammy recurrence issues. That’s a long way behind in terms of conditioning based on your assessment. I suppose we’ve seen with Taz there is a higher expectation at the club now regarding who’s ready to play (what sort of volume or base you need).

It’s just an opinion, based on logic, so don’t take it as gospel. I base it on

- relatively poor endurance at his fittest a year ago

- 3 hammies in a year

- basically no training other than a few laps and stationary skills for 8 months

- he’s a player who we don’t require exposure to in 2023

It just seems like expectations need to be managed as it seems we are quite rightly being ultra conservative with him.

I think the number 1 goal this year would be to increase his fitness and don’t ping a hammy. Playing afl would be well behind this.

- 3 hammies in a year

- basically no training other than a few laps and stationary skills for 8 months

It just seems like expectations need to be managed as it seems we are quite rightly being ultra conservative with him.

I think the number 1 goal this year would be to increase his fitness and don’t ping a hammy. Playing afl would be well behind this.

The 3x hammies in a year is quite concerning…

- 3 hammies in a year

I think that we would want to get him some AFL run.

Bringing in, essentially, 4 first round talents next year would be a lot.

Aside from the fact he is a completely different footballer to daicos, one which isn’t suited to a high accumulation half back (or back pocket). The reason he will play vfl is that his minutes will be managed.

Wardlaw is currently unfit for a rookie pre season. I wouldn’t think he will play vfl until mid season, and once he does I’m certain it will be under severely reduced/managed minutes.

Wardlaw won’t debut until 2024 at afl level imo.
That's an interesting take. He might not be AFL fit, but he will be OK to play VFL round 1.

- 3 hammies in a year

I think he has done quite a bit more training than you suggested.
From reports at the time of the draft & what Wardlaw said himself, he could have easily played the last game or 2 of the season, but held back a little so he was primed for a full AFL pre-season.

Unless he has had some set backs between when he got drafted & now, or we are being ultra conservative with him, he should be pushing for round 1 start in the VFL or AFL.

Hearing he participated in most of the training today, which is a good sign.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is going to be an absolute tank in 3-4 years. His shoulders are already quite built up. Once he's on an AFL dieting program and in the gym everyday wow. Can't wait to see him crashing packs and hurting opponents with crunching tackles.

He is going to be an absolute tank in 3-4 years. His shoulders are already quite built up. Once he's on an AFL dieting program and in the gym everyday wow. Can't wait to see him crashing packs and hurting opponents with crunching tackles.
Yep.

Power footballer. Him and LDU will hopefully be a terrifying 1-2 punch.

I know those legs. I reckon he has no fat on him and as big as his legs look they’re probably even stronger than you think - it’s all lean muscle.

Very unique body. Should motor around. No wonder he has spring and good burst speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back