Autopsy 6 point win over Richmond(wtf)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit surprised at a few criticisms of Reid’s game.

I thought he was hugely important, kept at it and was an important target for us particularly on the wings where he continually neutralised contests and gave ground ball opportunity to our smalls.

Yeah he missed a couple he should have kicked and could have taken a few more marks but I don’t think we would have won this game without his efforts.

I thought he was hugely important, kept at it and was an important target for us particularly on the wings where he continually neutralised contests and gave ground ball opportunity to our smalls.

Yeah he missed a couple he should have kicked and could have taken a few more marks but I don’t think we would have won this game without his efforts.

Being only our 2nd best forward on the night wasn't good enough I guess!

A few missed shots, sure. Should we roll the tape back on some shocking moments Mills, Warner, Buddy etc wouldn't want to watch again too?

Thought all three of these players were a big part of the comeback personally. Wicks really triggered me in that first half but he made up for it a bit I rkn. Thought Lloyd and Reid stepped up tonight.

Haha nah. They were all awful. Wicks kicked a goal from the goal square but that was about it.

Jmc also needs to learn not to just bomb it long to one on threes. Did it soo many times.

Just another close win for the Swans full of controversy. Adds to the theatre.

We finally get an ump outcome to go our way and the AFL world loses their minds.

I've noticed in the last few weeks an extremely rare occurrence. THREE Swans players (Parker, Rowbottom & Warner) have trended nationally on Twitter. Out of respect for their talent? Out of frenzied fan obsession? On the back of a journalist making some drastic call that they're the best (insert position) in the comp?

Nope.

Parker for sledging Shiel.

Rowbottom for getting suspended.

Warner for his controversial mistake.

I'm beginning to think maybe we should abandon the whole "marquee player" marketing strategy and just commit to the full on bad boy image. Seems to gain a lot more traction in the footy world!

Reid was first hands to a lot of footy in the air last night and didn’t mark a lot as it was slippery but got himself in a good position and has great reach. He was teetering on a terrible game but in the end had a great game IMO

Hayward had the best hands of all teams all night. Was the stand out in the air.

But special mention to Buddy’s overhead grab. Seemed annoyed at himself for the reversal and simply wasn’t going to drop that football and slot the goal. A champion moment and crucial part of the game to stay in touch and make amends.

Re-watched the last 10 minutes & NEVER want to hear BT or Daisy Pearce ever again.

I do, however, tip my hat to Dylan Grimes for telling Riewoldt to shut-up whilst he was having a tantrum after the siren.

A good leader calming a petulant man-baby.

Explain how Reid was awful

Cannot be trusted in front of goal (same for a decade)
Got two charities and one decent snap.
Did stuff all in the ruck.
Failed to read and compete in 1v1's - towelled up imv by Grimes

Cannot be trusted in front of goal (same for a decade)
Got two charities and one decent snap.
Did stuff all in the ruck.
Failed to read and compete in 1v1's - towelled up imv by Grimes
Yeah definitely didn’t have a great game but can never call a 3 goal game awful. Wondering if McLean/Armartey would’ve had that same goal threat, idk.
His kicking for a goal has let his career down big time but ah well at least he kicked a few last night. That’s all we really needed and help out Ladhams which he did.

I noticed when Logan marked the ball on the back flank in the last quarter and Papley was one out calling for it around 50 metres from our goal. Him and his opponent were the deepest players. But he just kicked to a contest on the wing with nearly every other player on the ground in that area. Why not just step around the mark and bomb it down Papleys way, to give him a chance before 100 defenders arrive? Or am I dreaming and it was too far away?

I know I said as much last night, but I want to reiterare it because my opinion hasn't changed since sleeping on it. Buddy was an entirely reasonable choice for BOG, but I thought Ladhams was the most important player last night personally. He was easily our best player in the first half when the chips were down, and he was one of our best when the game was there to be won.

His competitiveness in ruck contests improves every week, but it's actually everything else that I really liked last night. His defensive efforts and hunting of the football were immense. He played like another midfielder, and he worked his ass off to get back and support the defence more than the rest of our midfielders.

Although it didn't ultimately prevent the goal, I want to once again highlight his efforts in the lead-up to the Short goal in the second quarter. As soon as Richmond won the footy, he broke into a sprint towards our back 50 while our midfielders jogged behind him. That's not at all what I expected from him, and shows how desperate he is to be the number one ruck, and it also makes Ken Hinkley look like an absolute fool. I'd be spewing watching Ladhams game last night if I was a Port fan.
You F ing beauty
Summed the win up better in a few words than I could in 1000.

I noticed when Logan marked the ball on the back flank in the last quarter and Papley was one out calling for it around 50 metres from our goal. Him and his opponent were the deepest players. But he just kicked to a contest on the wing with nearly every other player on the ground in that area. Why not just step around the mark and bomb it down Papleys way, to give him a chance before 100 defenders arrive? Or am I dreaming and it was too far away?
If we were still behind sure, but in a game with such momentum swings, I can sympathise with playing it safe and wanting to make sure you don't give the ball back to the opposition.

Quiet game for McDonald last night, but he still did some bloody good things at important times. His handballs from contests are unreal for a key forward.

Much like Buddy, he's going to be so important to us not just for his goal tally, but his assists through his smarts, composure, and disposal efficiency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was actually more impressed with the manner in which we won than the actual win itself. A single-digit win over a side I think is about 6th-9th isn't a lot to write home about, but coming down from 30+ against such a side that, make no mistake about it, was flying. That was possibly the best Richmond had played all year. Their pressure was at 2017-2020 levels, they were hard and skilful and composed, and they were deadly accurate in front of goals.

To wrestle the momentum and seize the lead was enormous. It's the kind of heart and soul victory that can carry us forward in ways that a routine "skill, game plan, talent" win can't always do.

Some massive individual performances worthy of mention:

- Ladhams. Talk about making a statement. I didn't exactly see Gawn-like ruck craft but I saw a big fella giving his absolute all in incredibly trying circumstances and arguably coming out on top. Skill execution leaves a bit to be desired and if he can leave the clearances to the ground level players, he could really be something for us.

- Lloyd. Was he our best leader on the field? Probably hard to go past Buddy, but in terms of senior players playing with hardness, confidence, authority, leading by example, Lloyd was just so impressive. Where has any of this been from him all year?

- T. McCartin. Loved the desperation he played with. Tends to be something that I think big strong athletic key defenders don't always have. They're so used to their physical ability getting the job done. To see McCartin pushing himself to the absolute maximum with dying efforts so many times was just awesome.

- Mills. I didn't necessarily love everything about his game going back to defence. The helicopter kicks that barely exit the defensive 50 gave me shudders, but it was such a nice throwback seeing him reading the play, flying for marks, making desperate defensive efforts. All the things that made us love him from his debut.

- And Buddy. His brain-fades are frustrating but that hot headedness has made him the player he is. The kind of player so confident in his freakish ability that he just pings goals that few others could kick at such crucial moments. His record in clutch finals has been used against him before, but I say **** that. What about all the clutch performances he's had over the journey that have got teams to those finals in the first place?

- Stevic. So great to see an umpire apply common se- Actually, stuff that. Eff you. One effing call means s**t compared to a flag. Hope Gil reviews the decision after the siren and sacks you.
Agree on most of that and the Reid post below it.
But I never want to see Ladhams stop getting clearances myself. He has footy nouse in getting the ball, and in releasing others into space from the middle with a bit of composure, and seeing how the play will develop if he uses decoys, and holds the ball. Those are skills others in there can both benefit and learn from IMHO.

Re-watched the last 10 minutes & NEVER want to hear BT or Daisy Pearce ever again.

I do, however, tip my hat to Dylan Grimes for telling Riewoldt to shut-up whilst he was having a tantrum after the siren.

A good leader calming a petulant man-baby.

I am a fan of BT but **** he was shocking last night with his blatant barracking for Richmond. He seemed literally annoyed when things started going our way and was trying to argue frees for Richmond that weren't there like a defence lawyer.

But I never want to see Ladhams stop getting clearances myself. He has footy nouse in getting the ball, and in releasing others into space from the middle with a bit of composure, and seeing how the play will develop if he uses decoys, and holds the ball. Those are skills others in there can both benefit and learn from IMHO.
Yep, much like Hickey and his impact on our clearances last year after routinely getting smashed in that department for half a decade, I don't think we should take for granted a ruckman that can win his own footy, and win it out of the coalface.

Ladhams had 9 clearances last night - 9! The most of any player on the ground. Given how often opposition clubs can get a run-on in that area, I'm not going to be picky about who is winning it out of the stoppages.

Granted he did get better at finding the player in space as the game wore on, but far out his dump kicks that blatantly ignored the player in space in the first half was costly when we really needed more efficient inside 50s. But that's a gripe with all ruckmen, not just Ladhams. His second and third efforts last night were just unbelievable and he seemed to relish the responsibility of basically carrying ruck duties almost entirely on his own against a formidable duo.

Gerard Healy - Common sense prevailed

Brad Johnson - Blind Freddy knows it's 50 every day of the week.

Even though Gerard doesn't always get his calls right anymore he was the only guy to speak up direct to Gil about the trade ban. Deep down he's still a Swan and he was an absolute champion. Commentators have to make calls for and against it's their job but some of the others still openly cheer their own mob. Johnson is probably the worst for it. Will be a sad day when Gerard hangs up the boot....um microphone. We need a pro Sydney voice at times.

Agreed.
On a dewy night and a slippery football, he kept presenting and got his hands to it, providing a contest for the smalls. And was pinch-hitter as second ruck.
I thought he did his role pretty well.

I didn't see COR's game as good. I thought he made some dumb decisions to release the ball when he should have taken tackles and just didn't like his positioning most of the night. Although reading through some posts it seems I am on my own
Just on this, I honestly think some of our 'panicked turnovers' are a result of the fact we seem to get penalised immediately for holding the ball. Other teams seem to be given so much more time to hold on to it and get rid of it. It must be really comforting to know you have plenty of time to get rid of it and would make it easier to make more balanced decisions with disposal.

Ladhams did have a great game but don’t handball to the guy please when he’s standing still. That got a bit messy at times.

Too many hospital handballs last night especially to Campbell

Team goal of the week,
Reid taps from centre bounce, Parker dribbles it forward, Heeney fumbles but taps to the Chad, quick handpass across in Papley's direction then Paps taps over the back of his head to Hayward in clear in front of goal :)

Team goal of the week,
Reid taps from centre bounce, Parker dribbles it forward, Heeney fumbles but taps to the Chad, quick handpass across in Papley's direction then Paps taps over the back of his head to Hayward in clear in front of goal :)

Will also putting the clamps on Rioli initially for Parker to pry it free

Remove this Banner Ad

Back