Discussion A "better" jumper layout

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2001
SE Melb
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
Yes, I know I have too much spare time. But anyhow...

I've long been concerned by the amount of crap that can appear on a modern AFL jumper and generally lamented the way the standard layout has evolved.

Currently, jumpers:
- have an AFL logo on the right breast (colour) and at the bottom of each player number (monochrome)
- have a front and rear sponsor logo, often in non-team colours.
- have a manufacturer's logo at the neck and a large separate tag on the front lower left.

Some clubs also:
- have a monogram above the player number
- have a club logo above/below the front sponsor

Now, if I Ruled The World... we would do things differently.

The AFL logo: OK, so there's a marketing need to distinguish genuine AFL gear from lower-tier teams that wear the same design. But the AFL logo adds absolutely zip to the game day experience and seriously needs dialing down. I'd move the AFL logo to above the numbers on the back and make it an "enhanced" watermark that complimented the jumper colour rather than a full colour logo. The logo on each number would be similarly printed in a lighter/darker shade of the number colour rather than a high contrast colour (e.g. dark grey logo rather than white logo on black numbers).

Sponsors: a necessary evil of modern sport. The front sponsor moves to the right breast I've just vacated the AFL logo from. The back logo stays as is. Same dimension restrictions as currently exist for both.

Manufacturer: logo can remain at the neck but must be in a club colour. I would remove the lower AFL/manufacturer tag completely.

This would leave the left breast (over the heart) free for club logos, monograms or other special logos (milestone game logos etc.). This seems the most appropriate place for such logos and clubs like St Kilda and Geelong are already trying to shoehorn these in around sponsors. Clubs that have their logo in their jumper (Carlton, WCE etc) would be free to decide what if anything would go best in that space.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go back to plotting how I'm going to manage the "rule the world" bit...

I'd just like to see a sponsor on the front ditched altogether. And just because a moniker is already on the jumper doesn't mean you couldn't have a logo on the left tit (not that you were implying that). Carlton could use the fancy one bordered by a wreath from 5 (?) years back. WCE's actual logo differs (ever so slightly :p) from what is on the jumper. And you can do what football (soccer to you Australians) clubs do and have the stars around the logo to represent flags won, whether it be in a line on top of the logo, like Germany, or encircling the logo, like Brazil.

I'd just like to see a sponsor on the front ditched altogether. And just because a moniker is already on the jumper doesn't mean you couldn't have a logo on the left tit (not that you were implying that). Carlton could use the fancy one bordered by a wreath from 5 (?) years back. WCE's actual logo differs (ever so slightly :p) from what is on the jumper. And you can do what football (soccer to you Australians) clubs do and have the stars around the logo to represent flags won, whether it be in a line on top of the logo, like Germany, or encircling the logo, like Brazil.
But Freo cant put any stars around their logo :p

Would Port want to include all the SANFL flags on theirs?
Would Essendon put their VFA flags on, if only to have more than Carlton.

I like the idea of simplifying jumpers. As part of this I'd like to see the AFL logo remade. Personally I think it stands out too much at the moment.

Anyone wanna mock one up and see what it looks like?

I've mocked mine up anyway. Stars are faint.

Brisbane (3 stars)
BrisbaneHomeMockup.png

Fremantle (NO STARS)
FremantleHomeFormat.png

Starts are a stupid idea, how many clubs put stars on their shirts for their trophy wins? Not many. A world cup is a completely different concept to a yearly club competition. I like the rest of the ideas, imagine 16 stars? wow it would make the guernsey look like complete ass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking that too, but you could do a system where 10 flags equals somethings like a gold star or something, but I wouldnt want it on a jumper

I like your thinking Mr Eagle, using Geelong as as an example this is how I think the logos could be arranged.
My version is on the left. Original is on the right.

geelonglogos.jpg

I agree the AFL logo is too prominent so I have halved its size and moved it above the club logo. This connects the 'competion logo' and 'club logo' which I think makes sense. AFL would never put it on the back but I think moving it here gets it out of the way and frees up the right breast side.
If a club didn't want their logo on the breast (carlton?) the AFL logo could just move down in line with sponsor.

Sponsor and Clothing logos are the same size as before. Sponsor is moved to right breast. This lets the sponsor logo stand alone. In the case of Richmond and Essendon this also stops the sponsor logo buggering up the sash.

Back of jumper would have no change.
Just my 2 cents.

I like that Mowse. I like it a lot.

I think the logos being higher up will definitely happen as it gives more chance for the logos to be seen during interviews etc. It's only a matter of time.

We could do the NFL thing and have the AFL logo on the neck, just to make it central and balanced.

It doesn't really take away any of the clutter though, it's just reorganising it.
It feels a bit neater but I don't really see why teams need to put their logos on their chests. The jumper should be enough say who the team is without it.

We could do the NFL thing and have the AFL logo on the neck, just to make it central and balanced.

That's probably how I'd have it.
Adelaidenewlayout.png

As what's on the current jumpers is necessary the only things I'd do would be swapping the AFL and manufacturer logos (they're usually more plain) and I'd get rid of white boxes around the sponsors logos, (or black boxes on white jumpers).

Quick mockup of mine using a team that has a monogram on its back and has a fairly prominent bit of its logo in the jumper...

I've integrated SMFC into the logo and frankly given it more prominence than what it gets currently. I would love to move the ISC logo down to just a manufacturer's tag near the lower hem, but I'm pretty sure removing the logo from the neck would be a financial no-no for most teams.

Quick mockup of mine using a team that has a monogram on its back and has a fairly prominent bit of its logo in the jumper...

I've integrated SMFC into the logo and frankly given it more prominence than what it gets currently. I would love to move the ISC logo down to just a manufacturer's tag near the lower hem, but I'm pretty sure removing the logo from the neck would be a financial no-no for most teams.
I was actually thinking about an idea to make the afl logo into the colors of the team, just to add some indivuality to the jumper

The AFL logo is about brand recognition, and it's harder to recognise when it's in different colours. So I don't see them allowing the logo to change from the Red, White and Blue any time soon. And moving it to the back won't happen either.

I used to be opposed to the idea of having the teams' logos on the chest as being fairly pointless other than blowing their own trumpet, but it makes sense if they're trying to differentiate between, for example, the North Melbourne Kangaroos and the Langwarrin Kangaroos.

I actually think it'd be a good idea for clubs to have their logo on the right (players' left), over the heart, similar to what they do in soccer (and potentially other sports). I always found it weird that clubs have a SPONSOR over the heart:eek:.

My thoughts on layout: AFL logo stays where it is, club logo over the heart, and no sponsor logo on the front.

I actually think it'd be a good idea for clubs to have their logo on the right (players' left), over the heart, similar to what they do in soccer (and potentially other sports). I always found it weird that clubs have a SPONSOR over the heart:eek:.

My thoughts on layout: AFL logo stays where it is, club logo over the heart, and no sponsor logo on the front.

Clubs struggle enough without taking away some sponsorship money...

Clubs struggle enough without taking away some sponsorship money...
In a perfect world, everyone would have enough money...

Maybe the sponsor logos could be placed on the shoulders? But that would defeat the purpose of the jumper clean-up.

Maybe the sponsor logos could be placed on the shoulders? But that would defeat the purpose of the jumper clean-up.
No-one, be they watching in the stands or on TV, would really see them. The whole point of sponsors is to get recognition and promotion (and of course to cash up clubs :thumbsu:)

It would only work if the AFL had shirts not guernseys and I don't see them going down that path at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back