Analysis A heap of averages per game per year to compare career trajectories

Remove this Banner Ad

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
So to start to see how our young particularly midfield hopefuls are tracking I thought I'd put them in here against the careers of a heap of other players for comparison. I'll do a heap of other clubs midfielders first, then ports then ours.

zac bailey
bailey.PNG

dunkley
dunkley.PNG

jarrod berry
jarrod berry.PNG

lyons
lyons.PNG

mcluggage
mcluggage.PNG

neale
neale.PNG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Observations
Typically disposals per game start off slow and usually takes til third or fourth season or above to get over 20 disposals per game. Some freaks seem to be able to do it from the get -go. Oliver was nearly 30 disposals per game in his second season. Some seem to start in the 20's but then take a long time to get to 25-30.
It looks like players hit their straps somewhere between the 4th and 6th season mostly, then they plateau and then tail off at the end.
Some players go a long time at a level and then finally seem to make the jump up to being very good (Wines / Miller)
Some players started more slowly than I recall (Pendlebury, could've sworn he was good from the get go). Others started better (I knew dusty was lauded from day 1 but I didn't realise he averages 20 disposals per game from his first season).
Some players I thought were quite high possession never seem to have been that high (Yeo for example).

One thing is notable is the degree to which the crows haven't given full seasons to young players recently, whereas most of the good mids from other teams were 20 games per year except for their first season.

Regarding the Crows young mids, its basically too early to tell. We should start to see them emerge over the next 3 years as our preferred mid options reach that 3-4 game zone.
Hately's DPG were a surprise, hasn't done too bad considering he's never really got a good run at it and when he did this year he ended up being our highest DPG young mid.
Thought Sholl's numbers might've been a bit higher.
Soligo is looking the goods.
Berry is looking the goods.
Shoenberg was tracking very well until this season where he went off the rails. Hopefully he can get back on. I think also the shortage of experienced players made it a bit harder for our young mids this year and they had to carry the team for bits (Laird out early, then losing Sloane, Seed out the whole year). It seems when you look thru the stats at the end of 2021 McHenry, Schoenberg and co were tracking really really well, but then they dropped off this year.
One thing I noticed from McHenry's numbers (not shown here) is how many goals he's got. He was our 6th highest goal kicker this year, 8th the year before. He finished above Rowe and Murphy this year. He finished above Murphy and just behind Rowe last year. Will be interesting to see how he goes when he has Rachele and Rankine around him next year.
A good thing is that when you look at the data for the games thru 2022, the trajectory for pretty much all of our young players was upward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back