A serious question about MFC

Remove this Banner Ad

24202659.jpg

well we've just picked up bennell and morton from their lot.

its a loss/loss situation

if they pull through and become successful melbournes developement team are shithouse

if they dont pull through melbournes recruitment team are shithouse.

well we've just picked up bennell and morton from their lot.

...if they pull through and become successful melbournes developement team are shithouse

...if they dont pull through melbournes recruitment team are shithouse, and Weagles football department have tickets on themselves.
efa

Acceptance is the first step and it is yet to be seen.
Yes, it's shaping up as "yes, we tanked but let's take a close look at what we really mean by the word 'tank'. After all, the system made us do it." :rolleyes:

First use of the down vote. Felt good to be honest.

This has been done so many times, and in so many other threads, it's ridiculous. Nothing to see here.

This is only your opinion, Richmond gets done a hundred times a week in so many threads, for me it is nice to see the focus elsewhere you could have just not visited the post, down voting, cop out more likely.

This is only your opinion, Richmond gets done a hundred times a week in so many threads, for me it is nice to see the focus elsewhere you could have just not visited the post, down voting, cop out more likely.

That's right, my opinion. I'm free to voice it. And I'm free to down vote. Don't like it? Tough.

I honestly think its the development. Most of the picks seemed ok or right at the time.
None of those drafted have turned into guns...not one. Some teams have had 2-3 players in that time at lower picks turn out to be out and out superstars.

agree. players fail for 1 reason or the other but more than likely its the development that fails. there is also a natural attrition rate that for some reason players just dont make that transition from jnr to snr footy.we rate players as a failed pick after the fact which is un fair in most circumstances imo as the draft is a speculative auction of sorts. i think the RFC had failed on this for years and only now are coming out of it.

agree. players fail for 1 reason or the other but more than likely its the development that fails. there is also a natural attrition rate that for some reason players just dont make that transition from jnr to snr footy.we rate players as a failed pick after the fact which is un fair in most circumstances imo as the draft is a speculative auction of sorts. i think the RFC had failed on this for years and only now are coming out of it.
You're right, however there must be some skill involved given that some clubs get it right most of the time and some clubs get it right almost never. Its weird because sometimes you can make all the right moves, yet for one reason or another the club still doesnt succeed (Carlton is best example).

Biggest problem is we got rid of the wrong veterans.

We ditched our real leaders in JMac, Bruce and Miller, yet held on to Green and Davey.

It was stupid on two levels. Firstly, we could easily have snared first round picks for Green and Davey, like we did for Travis Johnstone. We got zero for Miller, Bruce or JMac.

Secondly, JMac, Bruce and Miller are all late picked, hard working guns who bled for the MFC and lead the team on the training track and the field. They were the perfect guys to have around a young core, and should have been retained for that reason alone. JMac really should have been our 'Richie Vandenburg' (obviously a better plkayer than Richie though) through the development phase. Instead we had Green and Davey, good players, but just not leaders.

I genuinely believe thisw was our biggest stuff up. Nobody listened to Green so the party boys like Sylvia, Beamer, Jamar etc. had a run of the place and there was nobody left to show the youngsters how its done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sacked far too many older players and over did the youth policy and put to much pressure, emphasis and focus from the opposition on their younger players like Jack Watts who should have been playing in a pocket and not in a key position. They hurt the development of their players by eliminating the older players for them to play around and take the pressure off and learn from. It also brought about more losses and created a losing culture and that drove the fans away and also hindered the development of their young players. They are a prime example of what not to do and how not to build a competent list.

How many of their older players have gone on to great success at other clubs?

They were painted into a corner. NONE of their older players were worth keeping. If Miller wants out then by default you keep Green. If Bruce wants out, you keep Davey by default. You cant get rid of them all. Swap Miller/Brice for Davey/Green and the club is in the same predicament.

I implore anybody to name an older player who would have made a difference. Possibly McDonald for a year or so but thats marginal at best.

Prendergast did a terrible job with high draft picks. That cannot be denied.
Think Watts, Scully and Trengove were obvious selections - the latter two especially.

Cook and Gysberts though?

Eughh.

Culture...seriously.

If you condition players to lose, they will.

This is it.

We saw what they could do in some games in 2010/11 they looked like a young Geelong at times.

They have a pretty talented list but that list is screwed by culture.

In 2010 eagles had the worst list in afl and people were asking what we're the recruiting staff thinking.

I think melbournes tanking would of worked in many sports but our game it takes Lot more than talent.

Biggest problem is we got rid of the wrong veterans.

We ditched our real leaders in JMac, Bruce and Miller, yet held on to Green and Davey.

It was stupid on two levels. Firstly, we could easily have snared first round picks for Green and Davey, like we did for Travis Johnstone. We got zero for Miller, Bruce or JMac.

Secondly, JMac, Bruce and Miller are all late picked, hard working guns who bled for the MFC and lead the team on the training track and the field. They were the perfect guys to have around a young core, and should have been retained for that reason alone. JMac really should have been our 'Richie Vandenburg' (obviously a better plkayer than Richie though) through the development phase. Instead we had Green and Davey, good players, but just not leaders.

I genuinely believe thisw was our biggest stuff up. Nobody listened to Green so the party boys like Sylvia, Beamer, Jamar etc. had a run of the place and there was nobody left to show the youngsters how its done.

As a single dad I love your comedy, and I think you've hit the nail on the head here. The battle hardned players who have made it through hard work are the veterans you hang onto. The others get more value in a trade and those who try to make the best out of limited talent will be the best example to the very talented high draft picks you have.

The other thing is the hardness of these players is what protects the kids coming through. I personally think Gysberts will be a player, for example, but being a skinny kid with talent on the inside it was too much for him to impose himself, where as if your veterans are working on the inside and the younger players are the flankers and wingmen, with the inside mids and KPPs playing mainly VFL until they have at least 2-3 preseasons under the belt then they do well. These tougher inside mid and KPP type players can still come in for the occasional game but as a 3rd tall and well down the pecking order for midfield rotations.

I believe that too much responsibility gives way too much impact, with effects training capabilities and slows down the physical progress. Players can also lose heart, and they are best to play a non-key role in their first few years to get the pace of the game and learn how to play key roles in VFL where the game is a touch slower.

Neeld has obviously tried to address this to some point with Dawes and Clark up forward. Sylvia on the ball still, who else is there to protect the kids? Down back who will take the big roles there? Frawley and ...?

Down the track Viney's physicality will change the mids and that Hogan will give you a dominating CHF, at least he has Clarke and Dawes protecting him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back