Society/Culture ABC to launch 24hr news channel - Murdoch declares warfare!

Remove this Banner Ad

bit_pattern

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Feb 6, 2008
Mosman
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seems they don't want any competition to Sky News, it's war, and not just any war, oh no, a taxpayer funded war!
argh.gif
And the first salvo is being fired in -surprise surprise - the Murdoch owned The Australian

ABC'S 24-hour news channel too much of a stretch

THE ABC's plan to launch in the next few months a 24-hour national television news service amounts to a taxpayer-funded declaration of war on commercial media outlets in Australia.

It also raises serious questions about the ability of the national broadcaster to support its image as the provider of high quality news and current affairs programming.
Crikey boil down the arguments to their fundamental basis

In the same way that taxpayer-funded roads are a declaration of war on dirigible manufacturers, I suppose.
The specific criticisms are fairly weak –

• increased quantity (BY THEM – not us) must mean reduced quality (BY THEM – not us);
  • commercial media shouldn’t have to cope with competition;
  • the ABC has “religiously avoided” crossing live to breaking events (really?);
  • the ABC isn’t “flexible” enough (in what way?).
If it’s going to convince Australians that an ABC News channel is a bad thing, I think News is going to have to do better than that.

wonder who the ABC version of Glen Beck would be....

David Marr?

anyways I have been watching the breakfast news program on ABC2 every day....

and its really boring :/

but there are no commercial ads so I'm an easy sell

Seems they don't want any competition to Sky News, it's war, and not just any war, oh no, a taxpayer funded war!
argh.gif
And the first salvo is being fired in -surprise surprise - the Murdoch owned The Australian

Crikey boil down the arguments to their fundamental basis
not the first time Murdoch has launched war.

salient question: was Murdoch a proxy for Bush and Blair, or vice versa? Remember he does own the Weekly Standard, tho it would make a loss, is a de facto think tank for neo cons. And Bill Kristol is the editor.

opinions sort?

edit: opinions not sort, sorry for the mini car jack

• Banned
So I take it they sorted out their funding issues? Or does this just mean they'll cry for more...

God, you're a pathetic ideological stick in the mud, aren't you? :rolleyes:

We're not going into the detail of that at the moment, nor the detail of the budget, but we've made some savings in recent years with changes to our news production model - taking advantage of new technology. In a sense we're taking away some funding that was used for the back-office production of news and investing it in new content creation.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2010/s2798235.htm

God, you're a pathetic ideological stick in the mud, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Absolutely, shame on him for being against government produced news.

We need a Ministry of Information.

Most likely a government newspaper as well to take on the evil empire of Murdoch.

• Banned
The ABC have a charter of independence, as well as to provide quality news services, and good on them for adapting to the modern age. Australia needs a dedicated news channel in the new media environment that is focussed on local production - unlike Sky who just repackage other news. It creates jobs for Australian journalists and producers. Mark Scott should be applauded.

And if the ABC is simply a "ministry of information", then why was the Howard government so up in arms about bias? Obviously it doesn't just spout government propaganda now, does it?

Some shuffling behind the scenes gets them the funds for a brand new 24 hour station. That's got to be a substantial cost.

Regardless of political arguments this is the mob that claimed their frugal budget deprived Australians of necessary independent media coverage, leaving us to be brain washed by conservative outlets and all that.

Stink the hand down the back of the couch and they've got a new channel.

Some shuffling behind the scenes gets them the funds for a brand new 24 hour station. That's got to be a substantial cost.

Regardless of political arguments this is the mob that claimed their frugal budget deprived Australians of necessary independent media coverage, leaving us to be brain washed by conservative outlets and all that.

Stink the hand down the back of the couch and they've got a new channel.

Talking s**t about stuff you know nothing about again, Harry? When a simple 30 second google search could have revealed this, it pays to at least research something before repeating talking points from 6 years ago. Obviously they got a funding boost for the new digital era.

http://www.abc.net.au/corp/pubs/media/s2568522.htm

...but we've made some savings in recent years with changes to our news production model - taking advantage of new technology...

Like the technology that media watch keeps on harping about re stuff ups.

No doubt they now say that they can cope with it, but it won't take long for the begging for extra money to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be coalition policy to sell of the ABC's TV licences. They are no longer required in the digital age. Plenty of sources of news. According to the ABC there was no climate gate, they are political stooges to the ALP as evidences by their 'presenters' joining the ALP time and again.

The ideologues are really coming out of the woodwork, listen to them cry! :D

And Cam, nice sig! Just out of interest, what 'decline' do you think was being 'hidden'?

The ideologues are really coming out of the woodwork, listen to them cry! :D

And Cam, nice sig! Just out of interest, what 'decline' do you think was being 'hidden'?

I am not crying. I see no reason why I as a conservative voter should be asked to fund a left wing media network. Privatise them and let people like you pay a subscription fee to watch whilst my money can be used on something important like hospitals or education.

The solution for me is simple, I do not watch the ABC at all. I just resent having to pay for it when there are mulitple other sources of news out there.

I resent paying for military moisadventures in Iraq and Afghanistan too, but I still have to pay for it. Suck it up, nancy, it's called social obligation.

At any rate, your ideological perceptions are virtually baseless

Media favours Coalition, study finds

Posted Wed Sep 2, 2009 5:00pm AEST

The study found newspapers lean to the left, but the media as a whole tends to favour the Coalition.

The study found newspapers lean to the left, but the media as a whole tends to favour the Coalition. (ABC News: Giulio Saggin)

Newspapers are left wing, television is right wing, and the media as a whole tends to favour the Coalition.

And surprisingly, according to researchers from the Australian National University, the ABC Television news is the most pro-Coalition of them all.

I resent paying for military moisadventures in Iraq and Afghanistan too, but I still have to pay for it. Suck it up, nancy, it's called social obligation.

At any rate, your ideological perceptions are virtually baseless

I doubt you even pay taxes.

Yeah after all people using countries to crash into buildings, blow up commuter trains should be left in peace to do more damage. Wonder what your views would be like if someone you knew died as a result of these actions. But you probably think it was all a conspiracy.

There is only one army, there is no viable alternative to protecting the nation. The ABC is one of many media sources, they are not unique and do not need to be funded. TV and Radio are not new technolgies. Sell em up and use the proceeds to develop a new industry that the private sector will not build as it is not viable (yet).

Why don't we privatise the army and police force then? Privatise everything!

Because the private sector will not do it. The private sector does run media outlets, it has the expertise and can make a buck from it. It is not rocket science.

You like the ABC, good on you, about 85% of the Australian population does not based on its ratings. Let the 15% who watch, pay. The rest of us can tune into the other media offerings that are available. What's more important the ABC or hospital waiting lists?

I love the ABC. I love the podcasts, I love iView. They are world leaders in digital content. When you get used to listening to by design and counterpoint, it's hard to go back to commercial radio.

Just wanted to get that out there.

Because the private sector will not do it. The private sector does run media outlets, it has the expertise and can make a buck from it. It is not rocket science.

Sure isn't.

You like the ABC, good on you, about 85% of the Australian population does not based on its ratings.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh....hhhhhhhhhhqqqqqqqqqqqq.

The ABC is more than just a TV station. You're as dumb as ever, morgs.

What's more important the ABC or hospital waiting lists?

The ABC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back