NO TROLLS Aboriginal names for AFL clubs

Do you like the idea of giving Aboriginal names to clubs?

• Yes

Votes: 68 42.8%
  • No

Votes: 91 57.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
About half a dozen clubs adopted an Aboriginal name for the last couple of weeks this year, although I see the fixture on the AFL website carries the names beyond just the last couple of weeks.

What are your thoughts? Should more clubs adopt the idea?

I am not sure to be honest as my knowledge of Aboriginal tribes is pretty poor so those names don't mean much to me.

Melbourne and St Kilda did it today and on Footywire I had to look at the players names to see which team was thumbing the other.

I'm happy enough with it. I do wish the commentators would either learn how to pronounce the names properly or just use the normal names though.

Feels a bit tokenistic at times, clubs should use the Indigenous strip's full time. Even just for away games. Embrace it.

Hopefully this thread doesn't go the way I think it will.

I like it, it's a nice touch. To RUNVS point though it would be good if they explained a little about the name, where it comes from and what it means to that tribe. Not a lecture, just 10 seconds or so of explanation.

Yes I agree with that, so the name means something. Does not need to be much, just something unique about the specific tribe.

I'm not sold on the idea yet, but could be convinced. As another poster said, it's weird having a mix of Aboriginal and standard club names. Do it all or none.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally support the idea of permanently changing the AFL reserves comp club names into the Aboriginal names. And retain this round as it is now.

Also, as a humorous talking point, would it mean that all Australian Rules premierships won since the beginning of time are now counted as official premierships?

I personally support the idea of permanently changing the AFL reserves comp club names into the Aboriginal names. And retain this round as it is now.

Also, as a humorous talking point, would it mean that all Australian Rules premierships won since the beginning of time are now counted as official premierships?
Great idea. All the SANFL teams can change their names and Port Adelaide gets to count all those premierships they won way back when in their reserves comp

The idea is fine, just like indigenous-themed jumper designs. But properly executing the idea takes a bit more thought than what is presently being applied (so too with the jumpers, see yesterday's farce in Hobart).

That said, different approaches to club names during Sir Doug Nicholls Round (...which is two rounds) makes no less sense than the inconsistent use of capital letters throughout the year ("Gold Coast SUNS", for example).

The older I get the more I've come to appreciate how cool it is that our country has such a long history and cool traditions (that too many of us know almost nothing about). I'm down for anything that helps me or encourages me to learn more about it.

Have to admit I spent the last 20mins reading about aboriginal history to which I am mostly unaware of.

Strangely absent in the Australian education system..

At first I wasn't a big fan of it, but it's slowly growing on me. Yartapuulti has a good ring to it, and I think it would be great to have some more information about the names published. I'm not sure how all the Melbourne-based teams could have separate names, but perhaps I'm missing something. I think it would be great if the AFL actually taught us a bit about different language groups, nations and tribes because it does still feel a bit tokenistic to me.

Back